• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Front suspension issues

H3slate

Brush raked
My truck has 76,000 miles on it with the bilstein cognito shocks, 1/2" extended bumpstops and cranked t-bars to 24" fender to wheel center. On my passenger front tire I am getting bad wheel hop when going over uneven roads, potholes, etc.. When going over a pothole, the pass. tire will bounce repeatedly. This does not occur on any other corner of the vehicle.

I have replaced the front diff crossmember bushing, there are no visible leaks from the shock, and just replaced the right mounting bracket for the front diff that had a worn out bushing. I am still getting the same symptoms. My truck had similar symptoms at 36,000 miles and was fixed by replacing the front crossmember and bushing.

Could this simply be a bad shock? The shocks have about 40,000 miles on them. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
Sounds like bad shock. Take it off and cycle it by hand. It may take some effort so rest one end on the ground and push down. If you feel a void in the resistance/dampening, it's messed up. Usually happens at the beginning since that's where the air accumulates at the top.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Blew both my Bilsteins. One was found very early, the other had the same symptoms you describe.

H3slate

Brush raked
Thanks everybody. I will try swapping the shocks side to side. I did the push on the bumper test and didn't notice any difference between the sides. While changing my oil yesterday I did re-torque the crossmember bushing bolt and the mount bracket bolt. The bushing bolt was not close to being torqued properly. :emb:

Will road test it to see if that made a difference and swap the shocks when I replace my leaking halfshaft. :gaah: