• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

38" Military Takeoffs (16.5" wheel) on H2?

autumn walker

38" Military Takeoffs (16" wheel) on H2?

Anyone know if this is possible? I'm really interested in putting a set of 38" military takeoff tires on my H2 for offroading purposes; however, they are made for a [STRIKE]16.5"[/STRIKE] 16" wheel. I know the H2 has a 17" and the tolerances are really tight, but has anyone put a [STRIKE]16.5"[/STRIKE] 16" wheel on a deuce?

Last edited:

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not that I am aware of on putting the military tires on a duece. The only 16.5" military tires I have seen are 37" tires. There might be some 38" ones but I haven't seen them.

[__--MUD--__]

I came across this last week searching for something unrelated.

Copy/paste from Hummie2 off xclub in 09

It can be done,but gets pretty involved before your done.

1. You need to recenter the wheel OR go with 2" Hubcenteric spacers X4.
2. You will need a lift, atleast 2" and they will still rub some.
3. They are hell to balance, but the upside is you can now use Centramatic Balancers with the spacers.
4. They are heavy as hell when you add rockrings and are so loud with a aggressive biasply tire you can't talk when you drive down the road.
5. The H2 still lacks C.T.I.S. and you will really wish you had it with bias ply tires.
6. At the end of the day I still go just as many places on 37" KM2s and I don't have to worry about keeping 64 lugnuts + 32 wheel nuts properly torqued.
7. You better enjoy fighting with mounting tires and beadlocks because most tire shops don't know anything about mounting them and if they do they will most likely pinch a o-ring when they put the wheel back togather.

http://www.hummerxclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9572

autumn walker

hmm - I'm not looking to run a HMMWV wheel - just the 38" michelin military tires. I'm assuming I can get a 16.5" steel wheel to mount them on, just not sure if it will clear the calipers - that thread on X looks like a 16.5 will... but the HMMWV wheels (specifically) cause issues because of backspacing.

atvspeed4

The newer style are radials not bias ply. The best ones to get seem to be the military take off BFG baja mud terrains .

Go here and look around. Cheapest bet is to order their recentered wheels with tires package. It will be a direct bolt up (no spacers) and you will have both beadlocks and a cheap source of tires. http://www.trailworthyfab.com/Tires

08SolarFlareH3

Super Swampers
I have seen 37x12.50R16.5 Goodyear Wrangler MT's mounted on 16.5" steel wheels on an H2.

With that being said, I'm not aware of a Michelin military tire for 16.5" rims, only 16" and 20" rims. The only 16.5" military tires I am aware of are Goodyear and BFGoodrich.

Sent using Tapatalk

Last edited:

autumn walker

I have seen 37x12.50R16.5 Goodyear Wrangler MT's mounted on 16.5" steel wheels on an H2.

With that being said, I'm not aware of a Michelin military tire for 16.5" rims, only 16" and 20" rims. The only 16.5" military tires I am aware of are Goodyear and BFGoodrich.

Sent using Tapatalk

Perhaps a Canadian thing? We have a Michelin plant here in my Province and I have been told over and over by guys that are running the 36" and 38" tires that they are for a 16.5" wheel.

I guess the best way to find out is to try - trying to get a hold of a guy running the 36's on the 16.5 wheel to let me bolt a set up to my truck and test.

MessiaH2

when i was buying my rims and tires over the past couple weeks i was told to stick with 17 or bigger by many people who have dealt with H2's. With that said they also said i could fit 16's but would have too buy at least 4.5 back spaced rims and would have too GRIND the edges of the rotors.

Now with that said i was NOT looking to GRIND and FIT my rims around my rotors & calipers. One reason besides the obvious of grind away from a perfectly good part, is that you will decrease the GAP between the rotor and the rim which is used to COOL the brakes also. I heard that you will get increased brake wear because they will run hotter with this set up. Remember i did NOT do this myself, but as you are doing, heard from someone who heard from someone. Good luck

Last edited:

autumn walker

when i was buying my rims and tires over the past couple weeks i was told to stick with 17 or bigger by many people who have dealt with H2's. With that said they also said i could fit 16's but would have too buy at least 4.5 back spaced rims and would have too GRIND the edges of the rotors.

I refuse to grind my brakes - I assume you mean callipers versus rotors, but I refuse to do it.

I'm also looking at 16.5" wheel, not 16". I wonder if that 0.5" makes the difference between having to grind the calliper and not?

MessiaH2

I refuse to grind my brakes - I assume you mean callipers versus rotors, but I refuse to do it.

I'm also looking at 16.5" wheel, not 16". I wonder if that 0.5" makes the difference between having to grind the calliper and not?

Sorry Calipers...LOL I refused also. I would think the .5 would make the difference. Best thing to do is borrow the rim in question and try it on the truck.

08SolarFlareH3

Super Swampers
Revisiting this - couldn't get the guy with the 36's - his wheels were sold.

Has anyone tried mounting a 16.5" wheel in the meantime?
There are several people who have mounted 16.5" wheels with 4.5" back spacing on to run 37" Goodyear Wrangler MT military tires with no issue. If you search Hummer H2 16.5 on google a couple should come up. I have also seen several people run HMMWV beadlocks with 2" wheels spacers (equals out to 5" b/s). Non of which had clearance issues with caliper. There has also been a couple people who have run 16" wheels with a 4.25" back spacing.

What are the Michelin tires you are looking at? I haven't ever seen a 16.5" Michelin military tire and curious to look them up.

autumn walker

I present to you a 16" wheel, 7" wide and 5" back spacing fitting perfectly on my H2. This is a factory spare wheel from a 2500 HD.

62320_10153137545360425_453428800_n.jpg