• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

If You Were To Get A Diesel Truck?

SolidusJ

The H3T is going no where but wanted to know what would be a pretty damn good diesel truck? No need for a dually but something that would get great MPG and all around reliable new or old. For some odd reason the last few days I've been searching the web on a diesel trucks and really like the newer Rams but been told they get 13 MPG on the streets? I know the main reason anyone would get a diesel is to tow heavy gear and what not but would a diesel be better on MPG on the streets also? Any feed back would be great :thumbs:!!!!

HUMMER INVESTMENTS

[o O IIIIIIII O o]
Im looking currently for a 2010+ Ram 2500/3500 for a DD and hummer hauler. I've been hearing that Rams get exceptional mileage, ranging from 17-18 city, and 20-22 highway. I dont really expect nearly that much, but would be nice to see. And keep in mind that these are trucks with all of the deletes.

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
Personally i like the cummins engine the best. IMO one of the best engines out there. Downside is that they come in the dodge. Im not hatin on the dodge, just wishin they came in more than one truck brand.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

SolidusJ

Get an H3T with a Cummins engine. :D

You know the T will be paid off by the end of my next tour in a few months:wink:. I really want a Diesel in her but I dont want to change the T-case, axles, front diff (which will be a cast iron one day) and all that. I've been doing a lot of homework on the 4 cylinder Cummins but IDK. I'm looking for more MPG and I wouldn't mind the big black smoke!!!

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hard to beat the Duramax/Allison combo but won't buy a new GM product. Really like our F350 diesel. Jay I have had a lot of heavy duty diesel trucks and none of them got great mpg. Expect 14-16 mpg. You might do a little better or worse but expect to Benin that range.

Chook

You know GM did the engineering for a Diesel into the H3. Was going to be released in Australia in 2010 (same time as the V8 here) but when GM went down the gurgler they didn't proceed with it. (was going to fitted to the Australian Cadillac's as well)

From memory it was a 2.7 Litre V6 Diesel, with twin turbo from VM Motori

Green 1

Matty Patty Pookie Bear
Hard to beat the Duramax/Allison combo but won't buy a new GM product. Really like our F350 diesel. Jay I have had a lot of heavy duty diesel trucks and none of them got great mpg. Expect 14-16 mpg. You might do a little better or worse but expect to Benin that range.

Most of the older diesels were in the 14-16 range and it all depends on where and how you drive. If you are in town forget the diesel and buy a gas truck and the differance in maintenance and diesel cost you will save money. If you are going to tow or drive on the highway a lot most of the newer gas trucks get very good mpg.
I have the Dmax and love it. Most of my miles are highway and my average not towing is about 17. When I put the trailer behind it with my tractor or H1 it drops to around 10-12 if I am pushing it and if I run 65 it will get around 14. I have had Ford and several Chevy, GMC's but never could convince myself to buy the Dodge. I have too many friends that love the diesel but hate the creature comforts and the lack of reliability of everything but the diesel. I think Dodge has gotten better but not ready for my taste.

Also remember if you are looking at 08 newer diesels you need to be careful most require the new emissions stuff which can be very expensive to maintain if you have issues.

Chook

You know GM did the engineering for a Diesel into the H3. Was going to be released in Australia in 2010 (same time as the V8 here) but when GM went down the gurgler they didn't proceed with it. (was going to fitted to the Australian Cadillac's as well)

From memory it was a 2.7 Litre V6 Diesel, with twin turbo from VM Motori

My mistake ............it was a 2.9 Litre with 185Kw & 550Nm

Here are some images of the engine........... (looks like just the 1 turbo so it must be a variable vane type)

GM 2.9l Turbo Diesel V6 (185 Kw & 550Nm).jpgGM 2.9l V6 Turbo Diesel.jpg

Last edited:

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
Those VM diesels are the worst in the world. Probably the most unreliable POS ever built. All the diesel Jeeps run them in Europe, and they are constantly in the shop.

Chook

Those VM diesels are the worst in the world. Probably the most unreliable POS ever built. All the diesel Jeeps run them in Europe, and they are constantly in the shop.

Confirmed I heard both these comments. I was told this "might" be different as this new engine was a joint development between GM & VM they had been working on since 2005 with the plan to roll this out worldwide (even in the USA).

H3TBone

I understand one of the best options would be the 3.8L Cummins and it is common in light-duty delivery vehicles making them easy to source and repair. There is a Taco conversion in 4x4 Offroad this month.

Big2dabank

I'm partial to the cummins diesels, but I have never been a dodge fan. I'm only partial because my dad and gradfather each had a 3500 for years hauling equipment back and forth to the deer camp. International 5488, road grader, D6 dozer, excavator, on the gooseneck never seemed to bother the cummins. My gradfather switched out to an F350 for a year back in 2003/2004 and he immediately went back to the cummins. He didn't think the F350 had enough balls, he never felt comfortable with the load behind the F350. Of course none of these are daily drivers, I have no opinion on any of the small diesels.

Last edited:

Green 1

Matty Patty Pookie Bear
I'm partial to the cummins diesels, but I have never been a dodge fan. I'm only partial because my dad and gradfather each had a 3500 for years hauling equipment back and forth to the deer camp. International 5488, road grader, D6 dozer, excavator, on the gooseneck never seemed to bother the cummins. My gradfather switched out to an F350 for a year back in 2003/2004 and he immediately went back to the cummins. He didn't think the F350 had enough balls, he never felt comfortable with the load behind the F350. Of course none of these are daily drivers, I have no opinion on any of the small diesels.

Good comments. I too can inderstand the 03/04 Ford was the first of the 6.0 which was a long lived disaster. I had an 03. I also was never happy with the power or the ride with a load.

Hunner

Well I can't resist posting anytime this comes up and probably has been lost over time.
Cummins for me.
Old style with big modified pump, not common rail .NO electronic tuner all wrenching.
I got a 95 cranked up from 180 hp to 600 hp and 600 ft. lbs.
I added a triple lock torque converter and beefed up other parts of the tranny.
The more I turned it up the better mpg. (well when I can keep my foot out of it) I get an average of about 20 mpg.
Turbo stock boosted 18 lbs mine is 38 lbs.
No cat, 4 inch exhaust and some internal mods.
No training wheels more gross load.
234,000 miles and still pumpin out long stroke torque.
Yeee haaaa
6x40372.jpg

And you could haul the Hummer
_DSC3518.jpg

Pulls my 10,000 lb 27' sailboat fine
DSC_0022.jpg

but sometimes I haul bigger ones totaling gross 26,000 or so and about 34'
Hunter34.jpg

Hunner

I thought SolidusJ was looking for a diesel truck not a conversion.
If they had to move the firewall as I understand it for the 5.3 gas Alpha, stuffing a Cummins 6 cylinder where a 3.7 was would be tight and heavy and I can see that engine blowing up everything down stream without lots of conversion.
A conversion to diesel in an H3 would have to be a peppy torquey little sucker with a turbo that spooled up at lower rpms than most do or it would be a slug.
Great for offroad torque numbers and crawling but maybe a problem NASCAR freeway driving in traffic.

08H3

To answer the original question, throw a dart and take your pick. There is no such thing as a bad diesel from the Big 3. I personally know people Cummins, Powerstroke, and DuraMax and they are all great engines.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ford had their share of problems in the old days. ( early 2000s ) While the 7.3 was supposed to be bullet proof I swapped one out at 150K miles, which is way too early for a diesel. My current Ford F-350 dually has a custom built and tuned diesel motor in it that has been awesome. The F-250 diesel was outstanding, right up until the moment that it died.

SolidusJ

I thought SolidusJ was looking for a diesel truck not a conversion.
If they had to move the firewall as I understand it for the 5.3 gas Alpha, stuffing a Cummins 6 cylinder where a 3.7 was would be tight and heavy and I can see that engine blowing up everything down stream without lots of conversion.
A conversion to diesel in an H3 would have to be a peppy torquey little sucker with a turbo that spooled up at lower rpms than most do or it would be a slug.
Great for offroad torque numbers and crawling but maybe a problem NASCAR freeway driving in traffic.

I didn't want to start a thread about putting a diesel in the T but anything is possible right? IF I had the means on making it happen I wouldn't want a big diesel and have looked into many small diesel engines. The thing that always hangs me up on is would I have to change the whole power train? If I was to get a small inline 4 on maybe a small diesel V6 would the torque be to much to handle? Doesn't the TDI VW have a inline 4 diesel that gets 20 MGP on the street? Also I remember the the jeep liberty had a diesel for fuel economy for a year. In the end I want more MPG from a diesel. Asking about the best diesel was just to know what you guys had in the past and what you liked about the truck and what you didn't.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Both my F250 and 350 diesel dually trucks pulled our 4 horse living quarters trailer without any real issues. The F350 has had no issues while the 250 struggled some on inclines.Biggest issue on the Fords are the brakes. The larger brakes start at the F-450 level, which are better for towing heavy loads, especially if you are coming down hills/mountain with a load.