• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H3 How to retrofit projectors into oem headlight housing

4u33er

Here is a simple guide on how to retrofit projector lenses into your stock oem headlight housings.

I highly recommend buying a set of aftermarket headlights because the OEM housing is sealed with some type of superglue/epoxy and its REALLY REALLY hard to pry apart. I ended up breaking most of the back housing and melting bits here and there trying to do this.

Things you'll need and want:
1. Aftermarket OEM style headlights by Eagle Eye - $150 (find a d/c coupon and save $$$)
http://www.am-autoparts.com/2006/Hummer/H3/HeadLights/AM-14870348/349269.html

2. Ebay or Morimoto Mini H1 Projector lenses. - Ebay $65 or Morimoto $120
Ebay kit - http://www.ebay.com/itm/XENON-2-5-M...113205&_trksid=m185&item=290612345214&vxp=mtr (Submit your best offer!)
Morimotor Kit - http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=3181

3. Projector Shroud of your choice, I just used the one that came with my Ebay kit.

3a. HID kit of your choice, but you will need to request to have H1 Bulb with H13 Harness. The Bulb will plug into your HID ballast, the H13 will be from the ballast to your car's harness for a plug & play operation.

3b. If you want to retain the Hi/Lo beam feature, the H13 harness from the HID kit will have extra red/black wires. The projectors will also have extra red/back wires. Just wire them up directly and you will have Bixenon feature. (basically electric current flips the cut off plate inside the projectors giving you Hi beam pattern) - I chose to skip this.

4. Heat Gun - I purchased mine from harbor freight tools for $13.99

5. Your choice of prying tools (scapers, flat head screwdrivers, picks, and what not)

6. 3M Window Butyl Sealant. This is what other car manufactures use to seal their lights. Better than silicone, easy to work with and its resealable.
7835e5ad.jpg

7. Clamps to hold the glass down in the end when you put everything back together.

8. Misc. stuff like gloves, paper towels, pliers, and etc.

9. Black spray paint if you want to paint your housing.

In order to remove the headlights, you need to first remove the grill held by 4 x 10mm bolts and 2 x 10mm nuts. Unplug the headlight bulb harness from the back and yank it off. Try to be gentle yet force full to pop them off the bracket.

You don't need to remove the brackets off the truck unless you need to replace your turn signals as well. Its actually easier to yank it off while its on the truck.

Its held by 3 self popping clips, this picture shows the bracket with the headlight removed, you can see the 3 prongs:
4acf67ae.jpg

Here is the back of the headlight that shows the 3 self popping clips:
3bde7542.jpg

The tools you will need to separate the lens off the headlights are a thin scapper, small flat head screw driver, various prying tools of your choice and a heat gun.
5d8b3d1c.jpg

Start by heating in between the lens and the back housing:
2faf9772.jpg

It doesn't matter where you really start. Be careful not to melt the plastic so keep your eye on it, also it get hot fast (my gun only had two settings, low/572F and Hi/1112F) You only need to spend about 2~3 min per side (4 sides since our headlight is a square) with the LOW setting, slowly pry it open. Hi Setting will most like start melting things first before you even have chance of prying it open :giggle:

If you pry to hard the plastic housing will break very easily. Its okay to crack and break a little, it wont do any harm in the end.

After you have removed the lens, you will want to clean off excess sealant on the housing, this will ensure a nice clean surface to put your new sealant for a nice tight seal. Don't get to OCD on cleaning it though:
ae99ed8c.jpg

You will also want to remove the reflector box, OEM is held by a torx 15 bolt, my aftermarket was just held by a screw, you can toss it in the garbage if you want.

I wanted mine to be blacked out so I taped up what I didn't want painted and used high temp black spray paint to paint the housing;
532a38da.jpg

Now once the paint dries, insert the projectors into the housing. The projector kit will come with all the fittings and screws you need.

The way its held is basically you put the projector through the front, then is screwed on from the back to prevent it from coming out.

The projectors have a top and bottom and is clearly marked on it.

Make sure the top goes to the top and the top screw hole should line with the vertical lines of the back housing. You can actually peep in to see the cut off plate. Double check that plate is straight and parallel to the bottom of the headlight housing:
8b2a771f.jpg

c9b225e5.jpg

Tighten from the back using pliers, don't over tighten as you don't want to to break the housing.

Once done, start inserting the butyl in the grooves of the housing, try to get in one piece/roll to make nice and clean:
0767c2bb.jpg

Then make sure your front lens is clean and free of finger prints or any smudges and put them back on. Now with your hands press on it hard till you get all the clips from the lens to clip back on.

You might not be able to clip all of them on, so use the heat gun again to warm up the butyl enough to get them soft and press again. Do this over and over till everything is uniformly sealed.

Then use clamps to hold them down till it cools:
c3324790.jpg

And your done! Put them back on your truck and adjust the beam pattern (search on how to adjust your headlights, its the same procedure)

Here is how it looks once finished:
b6713256.jpg

e7b4d75a.jpg

Last edited:

Hans3T

Lif"T"ed
Looking good!! I may have to do this. Are these suckers pretty bright compared to OEM?

tfm-Neil

:woot: I was just looking at these the other day and wondering if anyone had tried them on an H3! I've had the itch to switch my headlights over to HID's for a while now but I've never been too keen on Hi/low switching HID bulbs. A shuttered projector conversion is definitely a better solution.

I was leaning towards the Ds2 conversion mostly because I have a bunch of spare igniters and ballasts lying around. However after seeing your write-up on the mini H1 kit, the simplicity of the install is making me think mini H1's are the simpler way to go.

Thanks for the install write-up!!! :cheers: Looks like I’ll have to bump these up my short-list of things to do.

Ron46

Capt.
I know I'm bumping an old thread, but I was wondering if you have any night shots of the nights? How do they compare to the stock halogens? Thanks, I'm looking into retro fitting my headlights with projectors too.

I did this last night, it worked really well, the only problem is this morning they were filled with condensation... I sealed them inside and put them in immediately, then they got cold outside and condensation accumulated inside them...:( What could I do to get rid of the condensation? You think if I put a air pump inside the bulb hole it would let all of it out?ztcaLF4.jpg0oHWrD0.jpgaJkk876.jpgKJOKBSc.jpg54Ga6MK.jpg

RamRod

Would you be able to put some desiccant packs in there to soak up the moister?

Sent from handheld smoke signal device

SolidusJ

If I had the skills I would do this with my headlights and fogs, can't stand just seeing the headlights being done.

Photo from Todd
355nation on facebook

Would you be able to put some desiccant packs in there to soak up the moister?

Sent from handheld smoke signal device
I wish I could open them up again, that would be great, but I used silicone to seal the headlights and I don't see them ever being opened again... I will try using a heat gun to the front to make it evaporate then try putting an air pump in the light hole to pump out the air. :( If I could open them again, I would use the silica packets.

In all the h3 retrofit threads, everybody wants night shots, and OP never delivers... So here are mine. I have 8000K 55watt Digital Ballast HID's that I got for $53.My camera doesn't do too well at night due to it being a phone... but they have some great distance to them and it is definitely a mod I would do again. If there is one thing I could emphasize is that YOU SHOULD BUY AFTERMARKET HEADLIGHTS if you want to do this. You will DESTROY your OEM headlights trying to open them... and resealing the destroyed headlights is impossible. Also, because of the suspension and how much the trucks front end lifts up when accelerating, the lights tend to shine like a laser into everybody's eyes when I accelerate:giggle:. But when coasting or holding my speed, they shine straight out and don't blind anybody.
lhqbh2H.jpgqPHpdWl.jpg

Lunesta2

I know this is an old thread but I have the Mini H1 kit from the retrofit source and it doesn't fit. The only way I can get the screw on is if I don't use the large silicone washer on the inside of the reflector between the H1 and reflector. If you don't use this doesn't that mean the headlight is no longer sealed? Wouldn't this be bad?

How did yours just screw right on? The threads aren't long enough.

derian06

Red Rockett
I know this is an old thread but I have the Mini H1 kit from the retrofit source and it doesn't fit. The only way I can get the screw on is if I don't use the large silicone washer on the inside of the reflector between the H1 and reflector. If you don't use this doesn't that mean the headlight is no longer sealed? Wouldn't this be bad?

How did yours just screw right on? The threads aren't long enough.

I made a thread detailing it (how to retrofit projectors into the heads and fogs) you can use the smaller silicone washer, or cut the lager one. Or you can even take epoxy/silicone and cover up any areas left unsealed.