• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Clevis Pin FAQ

IndyHummers

Well, sorry if this is in the wrong spot first off. I went to a couple farm supply stores tonight because I wanted some new clevis pins, don't know why, just felt like it I guess. Anyway, I'm used to my 7/8 screw in type pin, which I've been told by numerous people is the only way to go for safety reasons so you don't end up with a 5 lb bullet hurling towards yourself or a loved one. To my surprise and frustration, one store only carried a cotter pin clevis and the other only had 3/4 threaded clevis'.

Have standards changed and cotter pins are more widely accepted and safer than they used to be or are companies just cutting costs. Am I simply overreacting about cotter pin clevis' not being safe? The pins just seemed so cheap and flimsy which is what worries me...

How 'bout it guys? What are your thoughts? What are you using?

08H3

From a safety standpoint, you can use a pin shackle as long as there is no risk of side loading (which you should avoid anyway). If there is a chance, use a screw shackle, however NEVER use a screw pin if there is risk of it rolling and unscrewing itself. This could occur if your strap rides across it and rotates the pin CCW. If you want the best of both worlds, a bolt shackle will do. The shackle itself is not threaded, but the pin is. A "nut" goes on the pin and then a cotter pin secures it.

I'm sure others will have more to add, concur, or call my advice idiotic. There is often times as much opinion floating around as fact on this topic. I really didn't know the hard answers either, and I'm a safety freak so I did a lot of research. Go to Crosby's web site (thecrosbygroup.com) and you'll find more info than you could imagine.

If I recall, you are from around South Bend. There is a store there called American Wire Rope and Sling. I have dealt with the Ft. Wayne store and they were top notch. If you call Ft. Wayne, ask for Jarod Ray. I'm sure they can get you the right products throught the Mishawaka store. They are top notch in product, knowledge, and service. I'm sure you can quickly Google contact info. If you can't PM me and I'll send you his email.

Big2dabank

I get my shackles from ACE Hardware and Northern Tool. 7/8" threaded shackle, as heavy as my rig is, I woub;t risk it with anything else. Keep in mind, when you snatch someone out of the mud, lots of force gets put on the shackle and bolt. I am sure a 3/4" cotter pin style shackle would work most of the time, but it only takes one time for something to snap, or come loose and seriously hurt someone.

08SolarFlareH3

Super Swampers
Size isn’t everything….well when it comes to shackles atleast :wink:. I would go based off WLL and not shackle size. I have a little 5/8” American made Columbus McKinnon shackle that has the same 4-1/2T WLL as most of the 3/4” shackles you find by most offroad brands (ARB, Warn, Smittybilt, Etc). My 3/4” shackles have a 6-1/2T WLL limit, which is two tons more then the 3/4” shackles you will find at offroad stores. The 3/4” shackles also have the same WLL found on most 7/8” shackles.

Last edited: