• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Need recommendations for a new computer!

Paladine71

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
My Dell ATG laptop is about to die from old age and abuse (too much time in the desert). I need recommendations from any of you techies out there.

I'm looking at the Asus Transformer Prime, gray, 10.1 display, 1GB RAM, with 64GB of storage. I'm partial to this pad because it's a pad (small and portable), can be docked to become a laptop, and can be mounted in my rig for road trips, camping and wheeling. When docked, it has an incredible battery life.

http://eee.asus.com/eeepad/transformer-prime/features/

Opinions, experience and advice is certainly welcome. :corn:

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
I'm a Mac guy, but if I was ever to get a PC based laptop it would hands down be a Toughbook. You can pretty much get any configuration that meets your budget and needs. Especially because you want to use it in your Hummer. If not, make sure you get something with a solid state hard drive. One that doesn't have moving parts in the hard drive. You'll avoid destroying while off-roading.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

Pappibri

Here is a list of some good ones from what I think is the top of the line in Tablets right now. Ipad 3, Samsung Galaxy Tab 10, Motorola Xoom, Asus Transformer Prime, Sony Tablet S

HUMMER INVESTMENTS

[o O IIIIIIII O o]
I'm a Mac guy, but if I was ever to get a PC based laptop it would hands down be a Toughbook. You can pretty much get any configuration that meets your budget and needs. Especially because you want to use it in your Hummer. If not, make sure you get something with a solid state hard drive. One that doesn't have moving parts in the hard drive. You'll avoid destroying while off-roading.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

I would also go with a toughbook. We used to have one until we just got tired of it being to old, so someday we might upgrade:)

deserth3

I have the Sony Tablet S. I wouldn't recommend it.
Cheap plastic feeling case.
Power connector is proprietary and get's in the way if just want to lean it against something and don't want to a docking statiion. They should have used a mini USB.
Wedge shape sounds good but in practicality. Not so comfortable to use.
Cheap sounding speakers.
An HDMI connector would have been nice.
USB and SD cards for storage can not be used in real time. You have to copy your files to the tablet before you can access them. Then copy them back when you are done.
I have been less than impresed with the Android operating system. I had a Blackberry Tablet and IMO the BB OS feels better and can multitask. But the Playbook screen can seem small at 7 inches.

skeptic

I'm not a fan of tablets. Low power, stuck with "smart phone" apps, and the lack of a keyboard/mouse mean you are probably stuck holding it in your hand trying to 1-finger type and "mouse" around. The one linked above is pretty cool, and eliminates one of my complaints but it's still a low power CPU running a smart phone/web pad OS. Great for web browsing, playing media, mounting in your truck, but it's not a replacement for a general purpose laptop.

Personally, I like netbooks. Real OS, real applications, generally more powerful.. You can get some that have a touch screen that flips around letting you use it like a tablet. Bulkier of course.

I may be completely off the mark here, but I'm guessing you'd be better off with something like one of these: http://www.tlbhd.com/best-tablet-netbooks-top-touch-screen-netbooks-and-mini-laptops-3157/

08H3

I would stay away from Asus. I can't speak specifically to that model, but we do get a higher percentage of those in for repair than other brands. I would also agree with the Toughbook suggestion if it's going to be taking any kind of abuse.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
I used to run a Toughbook in the 97 wagon. Great computer. Spillproof keyboard, backlit keyboard for night use. Still have it somewhere but it is getting pretty old now. I was considering getting a new one but tried the iPad instead. I really like the iPad but nothing takes abuse like a Toughbook.

autumn walker

I'm a big fan of Apple products - the 13" Air is next on my list for mobile computers.

Whatever you decide to get, like Recon said, get something with a solid-state drive (SSD) in it. It will be much more durable out in your truck.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Im a mac guy too. If you use it while off roading try to avoid dropping it down hells gate lol...I still feel bad for that guy.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah but that thing flat scooted down the gate entrance. Except for the scratched up screen still worked like a charm.

HUMMER INVESTMENTS

[o O IIIIIIII O o]
I used to run a Toughbook in the 97 wagon. Great computer. Spillproof keyboard, backlit keyboard for night use. Still have it somewhere but it is getting pretty old now. I was considering getting a new one but tried the iPad instead. I really like the iPad but nothing takes abuse like a Toughbook.

Ipads are a great subsitute! Prefer the toughbook for expeditions though.

Steve #1

First off, I'll assume you have a good desktop and are looking for a mobile device to compement it. If I'm wrong, reconsider.

Second, unless you are in a hurry to get something today, I'd hold off until Windows 8 is released as there is a lot of hardware that will be comming out with it and it is a good mobile OS.

Third, I wouldn't consider a SSD a requirement. I've been using a regular 3.5" drive off road for 4 years with no problems.

davidh3

:thumbs:I'm a Mac fan.

MacBook Air 11 or 13 inch

For its quality and tech, I recommend it!

seventwozero

First off, I'll assume you have a good desktop and are looking for a mobile device to compement it. If I'm wrong, reconsider.

Second, unless you are in a hurry to get something today, I'd hold off until Windows 8 is released as there is a lot of hardware that will be comming out with it and it is a good mobile OS.

Third, I wouldn't consider a SSD a requirement. I've been using a regular 3.5" drive off road for 4 years with no problems.

This is all pretty sound advice.

While I don't think you should rule out an Android tablet, making a complete transition from a windows based machine to an Android machine might prove challenging for some users. If you are the type of person that is only going to be using the Transformer for basic computing (ie: web/email/ms office type projects/small media stuff) you should be just fine. If you wish to do anything more, like say something in Photoshop or Autocad, you're pretty much out of luck with Android devices.

Also, now is not the best time to buy into technology, IMHO anyway. Google and Asus are working on launching Googles own 'Nexus' brand tablet. Rumored specs are roughly double that of the transformer prime, the newest version of Android (jellybean) AND a dual boot of whatever flavor windows tablet is available at the time (7/8? who knows). All of this for a rumored price point of $250, the idea behind this is Google will sell the tablet direct from Google Play, something they have been aiming to do since the very first Android phone, and at $250, wipe the floor with sales.

As far as the SSD requirement, thats standard on a tablet. Personally I'm a cloud sort of person and don't need a ton of physical space, 64gb is more than enough for me.

Big2dabank

I am a mac guy at home and a pc guy at work. My hard core design software does not work on mac, otherwise I'd be mac there too. I like the new macbook air and mackbook pro with the retina display. No to knock pcs at all, I have an HP workstation at my office with windows 7 and solid state hard drives and the thing screams, but ever since I switched to mac at home, they just work and when I say just work, they work well all the time. Not near the maintenance of keeping up a PC, especially with a wifer and kids using it. I bought a 13" HP notebook at the sametime I bought my last macbook and the 13" HP barely lasted a year before I had to re-install everything to clean it up enough to use the damn thing. The mac still runs like the day I bought it. When the new I-mac comes out later this year, I'll be getting a 27" for the house.

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
Im personally a pc/android guy. Something about not being able to pop my battery out just doesnt sit right with me.

That being said, both have adv/dis adv, i guess it comes down to personal preference really. I would wait till windows 8 comes out and then make a move from there.

I also find that with macs you don't have to purchase new hardware as often as pc's.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Paladine71

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Thanks for the advice, everyone. After doing some asking around, I've found a few co-workers that have the Transformer, iPad 3, and even a few others, like Fujistsu and Acer. They are going to let me take some "test drives" to see what matches my needs and preferences.

Whatever the outcome, I plan to go with something that can dock into a keyboard for ease of typing. What vehicle mounting options are you guys using? I remember hearing something about RAM mounts...

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
I have a ram mount for my phone, its definitely well made. They (ram mounts ) will build custom mounts for devices and vehicles. That of course costs more.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

H32NV

I think what matters most in this decision is what you do with your computer. I am an engineer, and I actually use my iPad more than anything else because most of what I do is answer emails and edit and send photos, its faster to haul around, and the screen on the new iPad is just epic and cant be compared to anything else, but I still have to have something with more horsepower for when I need it, especially when I do CAD design or work on spreadsheets with a few thousand cells worth of data. I think that right now, ASUS has the best offering as far as PC's, they have the fastest and best components, and the best pricing, and the best warranty. The warranty that comes with the higher end ASUS PC's is so good that if I spill my Coffee on it, it will get replaced, for 2 years! My new laptop has a little bit higher power than the best offering from Mac, and it was only $1250 on Amazon, whereas that equivalent Mac is over $3k. I have the Asus N55SF-DH71, which comes with a very good screen, lots of ram, lots of memory(certainly enough to run the next 3 versions of windows), and an i7 processor. It also has a blu-ray burner, a 2GB video card so that my solidworks CAD models dont slow it down, and its got Bang & olufsen sound built into it, and it sounds amazing. It also starts-up in about 4 seconds flat, thanks to Asus's start program manager. I'm a pretty damn big fan of Asus, and I'm pretty well researched. FYI, keyboards and mice now come with bluewooth transmitters that are so small that they dont even stick out from the laptop/machine when they are plugged in, and even then, some dont even need a transmitter because the computer like the Asus has built-in Bluetooth 3.0. I wouldnt worry about a docking station, those are headed out because they are no longer necessary with all of the wireless technology taking over. Also, the N55SF has an HDMI port, so you can hook it up to your monitor at home, or even your LCD big-screen TV to use as a blu-ray player, and it even pipes out THX certified Dolby digital surround to your existing surround sound system.

I think they are up to the N55SL now.... xoticpc.com is a great place to look, they have excellent prices, and can even do a small bit of upgrading and customization, should you want to. http://www.xoticpc.com/asus-n55slds71-p-3556.html

Last edited:

Steve #1

What vehicle mounting options are you guys using? I remember hearing something about RAM mounts...

In dash.

3384883229_1be154198b_z.jpg