• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Low Buck SAS....steering system...

4speedfunk

Well, like everything else on this project...I've done, and re-done each task 3 to 4 times to get it right. I've finally settled on a steering system and I thought I would post it up for other guys that might be considering a SAS. I had a couple of failed steering attempts and I'm convinced this is the way to go. I think this system will work well regardless of your suspension...leaf, coil, coilover, whatever. The box is from a Gen 1 (2001-ish) Nissan Xterra...(easy to spot because the newer Gen 2 Xterras are rack & pinion). This is the "metric" version of the Ford Bronco "Delphi" box, and it comes with splines on the input and sector shafts that require you to use matching Nissan parts. You can grab the Ford version, as it is an identical casting but, assumably it takes Ford-splined parts. For this write-up...I'm using the Nissan version, and I'll show you how to get it on your H3.

First...you'll need to beef-up your frame rail. I welded a full-length plate to the outside and a smaller one on the inside but, it still crushed a tad when I tightened the mounting bolts...so, I'm going to add some additional plating to the top and bottom so the entire frame is boxed with 1/4" steel. The H3 has a very flemsy frame and you should beef the snot out of the frame rails, especially if you're using a leaf-spring suspension. The rails are particularly wimpy toward the front (right where your forward leaf spring mounts would be)...
View attachment 5001 View attachment 5002

You'll need to locate the box as far forward as you can get it, so you have room for the pitman arm to swing and work the draglink properly. This will require trimming of the radiator support, inner fender and some misc. sheet metal near the body mount. The box mounts with (4) bolts and there is just barely enough frame rail height for all four of em. You will also need to re-do the brake lines and t-block (on the inside) as they will be in the way of the new box....
View attachment 5007

The pitman arm can be enlarged for a GM 1-ton draglink end by using a 7-degree tapered reamer. I chose to put my DRE pointing up. This is pretty straightforward process...
View attachment 5004

I decided to use the H3 intermediate steering shaft. In fact...it requires no modification whatsoever. Its the perfect length, and the coupler is much nicer (machined) than the one that comes on the Xterra (stamped). Not to mention, I think the heat from welding would melt the grease from the u-joint if I tried to mate the two shafts by welding (H3 on the right)...
View attachment 5005

The input shaft on the Nissan is splined, and slightly larger than the DD on the H3 steering rack. So, I grabbed an angle grinder and slowly shaved-down the splines on the Nissan input shaft. Once I got it to the same diameter as the H3 rack input shaft...I carefully ground "flats" on two sides of it. Make sure to set your steering wheel and the pitman arm in the "centered" position, so you know where to grind the flats. Once again...go slow...and test fit often. When done...clean it up with a hand file and grind a small half-moon divit into the shaft so the pinch-bolt can be installed. The outcome is much nicer than I was expecting. It looks damn near "factory"...
View attachment 5003 View attachment 5006

The remainder of the system will be some minor fittings and hoses. The Nissan uses metric flare fittings at the box...14mm supply and 16mm return. Earl's hooked me up with all the necessary adapters, and I chose to convert to -AN fittings for ease of making my own hoses. Another adapter is required at the H3 steering pump for the pressure line (some sort of o-ring flare thingy). The return line uses a clamp. The hose is 201-6 spec 5/16"...rated to God knows what rediculous pressure! Probably overkill...but it was only a tad more than regular p.s. hose. I bought nine feet of it. Prices below...

Used Nissan box.....$150.
Nissan pitman........$0 (included with box)
Tapered reamer.....$90.
1/4" plate steel.....$15.
mounting bolts......$5.
9' of hose............$46.
Earls fittings.........$64.
Fluid....................$6
Total...$376

Thats pretty much it for the steering box conversion. I'll let you know how this works on the ground. I have considerable more info on the rest of the steering but, I thought I would limit this thread to the box install. I'll save the cross-over linkage build for another thread.

speedy

Sir Welds a Lot
First...you'll need to beef-up your frame rail. I welded a full-length plate to the outside and a smaller one on the inside but, it still crushed a tad when I tightened the mounting bolts...so, I'm going to add some additional plating to the top and bottom so the entire frame is boxed with 1/4" steel. The H3 has a very flemsy frame and you should beef the snot out of the frame rails, especially if you're using a leaf-spring suspension. The rails are particularly wimpy toward the front (right where your forward leaf spring mounts would be)...

Looks good:cheers:

Just a couple of things i noticed.

You should go back and sleeve the bolt holes for your steering box.The hollow frame will continue to crush from the pressures put on it from the steering box regardless of the plating.
When ever you plate a frame you should angle off the ends of the plating from the frame it.This helps spread out the stress where the ends meet.
Here's an example of what we would use.

steering box mount.jpg
psmountkithd640.jpg

4speedfunk

Thanks...good idea. I saw some pics on 355nation, where a guy did the same thing with some left over tubing. He cut holes with a hole saw, then inserted some short pieces of DOM tubing into them, and welded em up. This way you can crank as hard as you want and not collapse the frame. The tubing stuck out just enough to get a good fillet weld around them. Real similar to what your pic shows.

4speedfunk

Okay...Here's take two...

First...Cut some tubing the width of the frame...
View attachment 5024View attachment 5025

Then open up the holes I had previously drilled...(plasma is way faster than drilling)...
View attachment 5026

Then using the loose plate from the backside of the frame...I assembled my sleeves onto the box, and snugged em down. This assured the sleeves were located straight and in alignment. Then I tacked em to the plate...took it all apart...and final weldeded em...
View attachment 5027View attachment 5028

Inserted the new sleeve/plate thingy in from the backside...clamped it down...welded the sleeves to the outboard plate...then ground em off...
View attachment 5030View attachment 5031View attachment 5029

Works like a charm! Now I'm fully sleeved and ready to remount the box. Thanks Speedy!

:)

Scarsman

Sponsor
That is looking good! You will be much happier with it sleaved!

Inmy limited experience with steel, I agree with Speedy on angling the ends of reinforcement plates. You want to avoid welding directly across frame rails, channel, tubing, etc. The heat stress creates a natural breaking point. By wleding lengthwise or lengthwise angles you avoid this issue.