• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Cert..

HUMMERDAD

For me this is what I have trained for and reccommend for anyone who really want's to help and be prepared.
Citizen Emergency Responce Team CERT. These are people like you me who live in a community the diferance is they attend annual trainings on how to respond to emergencys in there communities. How to approach,eveluate and best respond to the sistuation. I have included some pics of my bag that stays in my truck at all times and its contents.

Attachments

• 230.jpg
    230.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 112
  • 231.jpg
    231.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 114
  • 232.jpg
    232.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 121
  • 233.jpg
    233.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 123
  • 235.jpg
    235.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 134
  • 234.jpg
    234.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 124

abearden

CERT is great. Exactly what it covers depends on the area, but the basics revolve around the Federal Incident Command System (ICS), emergency prep skills (first-aid, turning off gas/water lines, 72 hour bags, planning, etc), and light search-and-rescue techniques. It's an effort to get neighbors to help neighbors so the system isn't as heavily burdened. Some areas maintain a CERT team locally with on-going training and practice, which is awesome for getting to know how your locality will react to a disaster and how you can help.

HUMMERDAD

CERT is just that like abearden stated depending on yourarea depends on the level of training. This is a FEMA recognized organizationand they work together in aspects of the training. Basically CERT helps you tobe able to communicate with disaster responders using common terminology. ICS, has been around for years but just with in the last few years sence katrina have they really come together so everone would know what was happening in the area of the disaster. Before it was a cluster of different organizations useing there own terms and alot of confusiuon, now with everyone useing the same terms there is less confusion. you should be able to look up a local unit on the CERT web sight.

Trekker

That Guy
My wife and I have been attending training for our local CERT team. I'm going to be Incident Commander for our final scenario next week. The CERT teams in our area are pretty active and call out members regularly for incidents.

abearden

My wife and I have been attending training for our local CERT team. I'm going to be Incident Commander for our final scenario next week. The CERT teams in our area are pretty active and call out members regularly for incidents.
Awesome! They didn't let us know who was IC ahead of time, everyone just pointed at me when the emergency started. :whaa: Just keep track of your workers and remember to delegate.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have done something that sounds similar through the Red Cross. I have trained for mass disaster response, logistics, first aid, etc

Trekker

That Guy
Awesome! They didn't let us know who was IC ahead of time, everyone just pointed at me when the emergency started. :whaa: Just keep track of your workers and remember to delegate.

It's been a while since our final scenario, but our class did great. I did like you suggested by keeping track of my teams and delegating. It was well into 100 degrees when we did our final exercise, so we had to overcome heat injuries and dehydration. We actually had one CERT member go down from the heat. We had to transition from a training to a real-world exercise pretty quick and get her medical attention. My wife and I are looking forward to working with our local CERT on future exercises and getting more training.