• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Service 4WD

Fish

The indicator lights that tell you which 4WD mode your in have been acting up the last few months but everything has worked fine. Yesterday I got the Service 4WD message and the xfer case wont shift anymore..Onstar ran a dignostic and I'm getting a C0327 error code. Whats the problem?

Zach

Mall Crawler
From the code, more than likely it is the encoder motor. On your year, it doesn't show the sensor seperate

Fish

From the code, more than likely it is the encoder motor. On your year, it doesn't show the sensor seperate
Nooooo God Nooooo!! From what I have seen that's about $500. As opposed to the sensor at $60. As always I trust your advice Zach but I have heard it can go either way...anybody else wanna chime in?

h2005

Sometimes you can get the selector to go into 4wd by turning off the vehicle and also turning off the ac and starting it. It has worked in the past for me on the 05 that I occasionally use for offroad tours

Last edited:

Fish

Yha..that worked for awhile but SomethIng has gone south and Isnt workIng...What I'm hearing is encoder motor or sensor...

Fish

Just wanted to update this..the encoder motor is working (for now) but I susupect its only a matter of time before it dies for good.

Thanks for getting me a price Zach, when I'm ready to do it I'll let you know.

Humvee21

So was it the motor or the sensor? I'm getting this message on mine too and more frequently every time I drive it, but haven't checked for any codes yet.

Also, I'm curious how much it would cost to replace this?

Hummjay

Wild Thang
OK guys, now I've got the damn bug. :sigh: The "Service 4WD" warning came on and I thought, "No biggie. I'll check it out when I do my oil change. The 4WD gears probably just needs to be greased up or lubricated or something. :giggle: What do I know? I'm not a mechanic. Well anyway, I had my mechanic check it out last Thursday. He said it was an electrical issue, but couldn't figure out what exactly what was wrong and needed to do some testing. The 4WD was not working at all. If I try to engage any of the buttons, none of them work. Sorry, I didn't ask him what the codes were but he's still investigating. So tomorrow I'm taking it to the GM dealer (formerly HUMMER), they still have HUMMER mechanics so I'm hoping they can diagnose it since they work on HUMMERS. Too bad my warranty ran out in August. Got a funny feeling this might be on the pricey side. But I need my 4WD! Snow is coming soon. I'll report back and let y'all know what the verdict is. :roll:

Hummvee21, how did yours turn out? Incidently, this is the only thread I found discussing this issue on H4O. Isn't this a common issue?

Last edited:

Hummjay

Wild Thang
Thanks Doug. Oh yeah I guess I do need to post on the H3 side. :) I got here by doing a search & didn't notice I was on H2.
Well, I got the verdict today. It's the Encoder Motor. Needs replacement. $568 for labor & a pricey part & tax. Ouch! Well, there goes Christmas..

Hummjay

Wild Thang
Oh I forgot... Yeah Doug, I go off road maybe 2- 3x per year. Would do more if I could. Me & the Pac NW group went to Naches Pass in August. Had a blast! I might be at Moab in April, but shhhh! Don't tell... I don't want to jinx it! :)

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Hummjay, do some shopping. Dealer is probably selling it for $350. You can buy the part online for $260. Remanufactured units are available for $150. I don't think it takes a lot of labor to do this job. You may be able to negotiate this down by $100-$150 even at the dealer.

Hummjay

Wild Thang
Thanks Alex. Ya it sure pays to shop around. Had to get it diagnosed first to see what I'd be shopping for. Alas, I might be too late. On my way to dealer now. I'll try to negotiate but I think this might be a lessons learned kind of thing. Day-um, lessons are expensive sometimes..

Hummjay

Wild Thang
Good idea, Bebe! My dad taught me that years ago. Thanks for the reminder because I didn't think about that and probably would have forgotten to ask for it. Still waiting to pick up my baby. My loaner is a 2013 Chevy Traverse. Very new & comfortable, but it's big, long and thirsty. Barely fits in my garage. I miss my HUMMER.. I can't wait to get him back home! :(