• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Radio Whine!

crank

The Master Blaster!
Back a couple months ago I had installed a new radio in my H1. I have a XM Sat receiver that is tied into the ext input in the back of the radio via an audio cable. It seemed to work pretty well when it was installed but had a bit of a whine with engine RPM. It's been getting louder ever sence. Seeing I don't have spark plugs, I can rule that out. I'm not sure what would generate that noise. Could it come from the RPM gauge? The audio cable is near by behind the console. I think that the RPM reads a freq of pulses equal to the engine RPM. True? Could it be Alternator noise? Where else would it come from?
Next thing, what would get rid of the whine? Is there a filter that I could add to the Alternator or to the cable? It's getting louder and really annoying!!!
TNX Guys...

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Sounds like alternator whine. The first thing is usually to make sure you have a very good ground on the stereo components. I would not necessarily rely on the OEM harness (if used) to give you the best ground. Likewise I would ensure that the XM receiver is well grounded. What power source did you use for the stereo and for the XM receiver?

crank

The Master Blaster!
BTW, I forgot to add....
The whine is only on the XM input. AM, FM, CD, etc is no noise. I'll check all grounds starting with the XM receiver.
TNX AGN Guys.

Hunner

Old school fix was found at Radio Shack, chokes and torrids, and ferrite coils. They still have them.

crank

The Master Blaster!
...I don't like that song.... I don't like that music...change the station...that song is dumb...

Is it that kind of whine? My nephew rode with me once... I had a whine for a pretty short time, but I fixed it.

Duct Tape?:huh: