• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Tapping sound when in drive...

persius1

Ok I got a new one: I'm hearing a faint to loud tapping sound when in drive and giving it gas. The more I push on the pedal, the louder it gets. I took it to the dealer yesterday and they told me one of two things. 1) leaking exhaust manifold 2) bad catalytic converter

They also told me that a leaking exhaust manifold would be noticeable while in park or neutral (which I don't hear) and they are leaning towards replacing the cat converter. This item is not covered under the power train warranty and costs $1300 from the dealer!

I also spoke to a couple of guys at Auto zone and they feel it is something in my drive-line since I'm only hearing this tapping in drive.
Just trying to get other opinions or maybe this has happened to any other 3's?

Chastan

For $1,300 I would ask what is going to happen if that fix does not eliminate the noise and get that in writing. Might change their opinion of what is wrong.

M22KLARS

Unsafe At Any Speed
Well it makes sense that it could be in your drive-line since you only hear it in drive.... But it could be the exhaust manifold too.. What if you have it in park or neutral and slowly give it gas to bring the rpm's up... Do you here it then?

Hans3T

Lif"T"ed
I had the same thing...it was a rock in my tire tread. Not being a d1ck -- I would check simple stuff like that first.

persius1

Well it makes sense that it could be in your drive-line since you only hear it in drive.... But it could be the exhaust manifold too.. What if you have it in park or neutral and slowly give it gas to bring the rpm's up... Do you here it then?
I've tried it in park, neutral and in drive with my left foot on the brake, but the only time I hear the noise when I'm diving. It's louder when I'm going up a hill like a freeway entrance.

Aamco

Noise are pain in the neck on these things, send me with your zip code and I will arrange for you local Aamco dealer to inspect the driveline and exhaust system for you at no charge.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Heat shield on the exhaust manifold? That's been known to be a noise issue. I'd also check your u-joints, all four of them.

Aamco - welcome, glad you made it over! And that's about the coolest offer ever.

persius1

Noise are pain in the neck on these things, send me with your zip code and I will arrange for you local Aamco dealer to inspect the driveline and exhaust system for you at no charge.
Wow that's amazing!!! Thank you Aamco!I'm at 87120

persius1

Thanks alrock! I'll check the u joints as well. It's definitely coming from the engine bay just hard to pin point

persius1

I had the same thing...it was a rock in my tire tread. Not being a d1ck -- I would check simple stuff like that first.
Believe me I've checked simple things, even replaced the spark plus (oem) because that is the type of sound I'm hearing....faint taps

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
How many miles on the vehicle. The cat is covered for 8 years/80K miles in most states. Some states, such as CA, require up to 100K. This is from the EPA website:
What Are Specified Major Emission Control Components?

There are three specified major emission control components,
covered for the first 8 years or 80,000 miles of vehicle use on 1995
and newer vehicles:

* Catalytic converters.

* The electronic emissions control unit or computer (ECU).

* The onboard emissions diagnostic device or computer (OBD).

Is it louder on a cold engine? Exhaust manifold leaks are usually (90 percent of the time anyway) louder on a cold engine. Once the manifold heats up, the metal expands and the crack or loosening at a stud expands and it gets quieter. On a cold engine you can sometime feel around to feel if any exhaust is spitting out. Also, discoloration on the manifold at the leak point.

LagunaH1

Does the sound vary its speed / pitch with the RPM's of the engine? Does the speed / pitch of sound vary with the speed of the vehicle? Based on what I've read so far I think the latter? Does the sound appear with completely regular frequency / pitch when you drive, or does it sound more random like, say, pebbles in a soda can rattling about?

persius1

How many miles on the vehicle. The cat is covered for 8 years/80K miles in most states. Some states, such as CA, require up to 100K. This is from the EPA website:What Are Specified Major Emission Control Components?There are three specified major emission control components,covered for the first 8 years or 80,000 miles of vehicle use on 1995and newer vehicles:* Catalytic converters.* The electronic emissions control unit or computer (ECU).* The onboard emissions diagnostic device or computer (OBD).Is it louder on a cold engine? Exhaust manifold leaks are usually (90 percent of the time anyway) louder on a cold engine. Once the manifold heats up, the metal expands and the crack or loosening at a stud expands and it gets quieter. On a cold engine you can sometime feel around to feel if any exhaust is spitting out. Also, discoloration on the manifold at the leak point.
I have 93,000 miles as of today. I will have to check if there are any leaks when the engine cools off. I'm in New Mexico and the dealer told me the cat converter is not covered.

persius1

Update 1: today I had some time to work on finding that tapping noise.... I took off the heat shield and boom there it was! Four bolts broken off!!! I called the dealer and they told me they would cover it under the power train warranty....Waahoo!