• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Used H2 - what to look for?

autumn walker

This is a real shot in the dark here, but I am considering trading up the H3 for an H2. I like the larger truck, more power, towing capacity, etc.

I found a nice black H2 locally with low kilometers at what seems like a decent price so I'm going to go take a look at it and see what they will give me for my H3 on trade.

What should I be looking for on the H2? Is there any known issues or things to watch out for?

Thanks!

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
Id say the newer the better, not sure about the 08's because they were completely revamped compared to the previous models. Good luck with your search!!

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would say 2007 might have been the best year for the H2. Main thing to look for would be condition, including cosmetics since many of the interior pieces and some body panels seem to be hard to obtain these days.

autumn walker

So they are giving me a really good trade on my H3 and the H2 seems pretty solid - some rust underneath, but that is normal around here and they will treat it (undercoat) as part of the deal. This is a reputable GM dealership who handles a good portion of the collision work out my way.

There is a rattle in the dash which they said they will look into - not sure if that is normal with the H2, there is lots of plastic in the cabin... also, the door lock panel on the passenger side has a broken tab so it rattles - they are going to replace that as well (I'll let them source the part haha).

I can't find a whole lot wrong with it - still not 100% sold on it yet though, I'm going to sleep on it and make some calls in the AM before I pull the trigger.

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
On our H2, the dash rattles some, the plastic stuff tends to make noise. I think youll like it, its massive!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Zach

Mall Crawler
I drove a H3 rental for a month. Was in the market to buy a H3 after that. We had a H3 at work that I liked, but we also had a H2. A couple thousand difference and went with the H2 and never looked back. Love my H2 and glad I opted for it. You will love it

twinmill28

Spilled Milk
Probably the biggest thing to look for is chrome--and lots of it!! If it's missing the shiny stuff, it's probably been abused and best left alone!
I test drove a deuce that had a rattle in the dash and brought it to the dealers attention, they opened up the center stack and found something from the aftermarket remote starter hadn't been secured down. No big deal, but I'd have the dealer look at it.
I gotta go with what Zach said about driving the 3 then getting a 2. I had a 3 and loved it for alot of reasons, but only after I got the 2 did I realize I love it even more, for different reasons, and haven't looked back.
Enjoy!!

Timgco

Hugh Hefner
...just a couple things to look at while considering the 2007:
idler pitman arms
dual climate control
steering wheel lights
air suspension faults
sunroof leaks (drains)
marker light leaks

This is a real shot in the dark here, but I am considering trading up the H3 for an H2. I like the larger truck, more power, towing capacity, etc.

I found a nice black H2 locally with low kilometers at what seems like a decent price so I'm going to go take a look at it and see what they will give me for my H3 on trade.

What should I be looking for on the H2? Is there any known issues or things to watch out for?

Thanks!

autumn walker

...just a couple things to look at while considering the 2007:
idler pitman arms
dual climate control
steering wheel lights
air suspension faults
sunroof leaks (drains)
marker light leaks
Thanks!!

What should I look for on the idler pitman arm (what is that?) and how can I test the roof marker lights for leaks?

Everything else on your list checks out ok!

HUMMERDAD

The bigest problem I have had is in the front end, make a hard turn right going into or out of a parking lot and see if it pops. The popping is caused by the pitman arm or the body mounts on H2's its an easy fix the other biggy is the front bearings inner and outer mine failed at about 55,000 but my extended warienty fixed the problem. Be mindfull of your dealer ir took me 4 dealers and 4 times getting the bearings fixed before it was done right. Make sure to check interior pannels too if thiers a problem get them to fix it door pannels go for about 900 bucks these days. I bought my H2 with 50,000 and she been great they just have there quirks like all viechles.

autumn walker

Awesome everyone, thanks so much for your input. I pulled the trigger and take delivery of it tomorrow morning! Goodbye H3, hello H2!

HUMMERDAD - funny you mention it, the passenger door panel has some broken tabs and is rattling - they are going to replace it.

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
Congratulations! :cheers: This goes without saying...but we need to see some pics of the new Deuce! :corn:

Zach

Mall Crawler
Congrats! You will absolutely love it. As others have said we need pics! And go wheel it

autumn walker

I'm going to pick it up from the dealer in about 2 hours - I'll snap some pics, but it'll be full of salt by the time I get home (lots of snow / salt down around here).

I'm wheelin' it tomorrow, can't wait! :)

autumn walker

I snapped this just after I got it home - then I immediately pulled the nerf bars off of it and then it started pouring rain so no more pics.

h2_firstday.jpg

Are the factory "rock rails" on the H2 actually rock rails?

... is it just me or is that pic upside down?

Attachments

• Photo 2012-03-03 11 37 58 AM (HDR).jpg
    Photo 2012-03-03 11 37 58 AM (HDR).jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:

Scarsman

Sponsor
Sweet! You're going to love it! Yes, those are real rock rails, meant to be used. They need some modification to work a little better, but they are pretty decent.

And yes, that pic is upside down.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

HUMMERDAD

congrats on the new H2 with your current weather I recommend ordering a new set of hood snubbers mine only lasted one winter, in the chicago area the salt really like those darn things usally run about 200 bucks pleanty of aftermarket co to choose from. and the fuel door all about the same price go figure Have fun with it.