• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

ScanGaugeII? Anyone?

crank

The Master Blaster!
Hey all. I've been hearing a lot about the ScanGaugeII for my H1. It connects up to the OBII port in your ride and it tells you all kinds of cool things. Different gauges and a ton of programed gauges. http://www.scangauge.com/ Super easy to use and program. Looks like all kinds of gas or diesel vehicles 1996 and above. It's $160 but the best money I spent so far.

I started asking around about my turbo and if it was operating correctly. I couldn't tell if it worked at all! Through all conditions of driving, I couldn't hear a whine of any kind or if I was getting any kick when coming off the line or passing. Pretty much nothing at all. Now before I get everyone telling me "It's a 8,000 LB truck that has about 190 HP and geared down for off roading. It's not a race car! Don't expect it to be one!" I kinda figured that but I would think that I would hear a whine. Somewhat quiet whine because of the noisy inside, but something. When passing someone, I thought I'd feel a small amount of "extra" acceleration. Nothing any different than any other time. One guy told me about the ScanGaugeII because it can be programmed to show turbo Boost or Manifold Pressure. I just got it, so all I've played with has been MPG, Different Temps, RPM, Volts, Yada, Yada.

If anyone can give me some input to my lack of Turbo or not Turbo problem, please feel free to chime in.
TNX

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
One thing to remember when getting the Scangauge. If it says it can measures something (like boost) it doesn't mean your vehicle is equipped to do so. Example. I got it because it said it measure transmission temperature. Turns out the H3 does not have that function. Make sure you talk to H1 owners that have a scan gauge before getting or you may feel like you wasted your money.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

Chook

Example. I got it because it said it measure transmission temperature. Turns out the H3 does not have that function

Recon.......... I did exactly the same thing, bought the Scanguage II primarily for H3 transmission temp but when I got it home it didn't pick it up.

Fortunately it was a Scanguage II and has a programmable mode where you can enter Custom Gauges & mine now works to monitor Auto Trans Temp.

Let me know if you need the codes (it took me a few times to get it right)

Cheers,
Chook

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
Is yours an Alpha? I have the SGII also and not even the codes makes it work. The common consensus is that it doesn't work on Alphas.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Trans temp doesn't work for you? There's 2 different trans codes depending on the year. Did you try both?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
Trans temp doesn't work for you? There's 2 different trans codes depending on the year. Did you try both?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Yes. Tried all configurations. I bet you'll have a hard time finding anyone with an 08 Alpha that has a SGII that can read trans temp.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

crank

The Master Blaster!
I tried the code listed on one of the forums and I got some information coming in now. Most likely needs to be "calibrated" properly to give somewhat a correct measurement. Out of the box the MAP gauge never showed anything. Just blank. I programmed the X-Gauge for Boost and got "something" rather than nothing. :) This "something" value needs to be calibrated to be correct. What I do see is the X-Gauge for Turbo Boost shows it changing value in a positive direction when I "get on it". I think that's a good sign that it is working.
TNX

The SGII will show intake manifold pressure if you add a "X Gauge" - works like a charm on my 97

crank

The Master Blaster!
Yeah Man... I've noticed on my 97 H1, that some parameters are not there. That could be an operator (me) fault, but I do get quite a few other gauges that are worth the cost. It's pretty cool to me. I'd like to try it out on my 06 H2 to see how that all works out. :thumbs:

One thing to remember when getting the Scangauge. If it says it can measures something (like boost) it doesn't mean your vehicle is equipped to do so. Example. I got it because it said it measure transmission temperature. Turns out the H3 does not have that function. Make sure you talk to H1 owners that have a scan gauge before getting or you may feel like you wasted your money.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

LagunaH1

BTW, FWIW: Transmission temps is one of the things the '97s don't have a sensor for. AFAIK it was first introduced in the MY 98 trucks.

There, how's that for acronym soup? :giggle:

crank

The Master Blaster!
If it wasn't for Google, I'd still be staring at the post!:)

BTW, FWIW: Transmission temps is one of the things the '97s don't have a sensor for. AFAIK it was first introduced in the MY 98 trucks.

There, how's that for acronym soup? :giggle:

Chook

Is yours an Alpha? I have the SGII also and not even the codes makes it work. The common consensus is that it doesn't work on Alphas.

Mine is the I5 but I believe the Transmission & The Computer functions the same. Like I said I tried both configurations a couple of times and it didn't work, I kept playing with it and eventually I got it to work. (Either I was being goofy with the X-Gauge codes or it needed some time to calibrate I am not sure)

Keep trying it though because I can't see that the Alpha would be different in monitoring Trans Temp (I think I read somewhere that the computer monitors Trans Temp to "Lock Out" overdrive until Trans Temp hits 150F)