• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

AZ - Redington Pass pictures

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Bigunit and I did some vehicle testing on Redington Pass yesterday, which is a nice set of trails and play areas east of Tucson. We invited his friend Dwaine, owner of Preferred Fabrication and the Scorpion 4x4 Brand. Cotilo joined us, along with her mom and nephew. This was the first time I had gone on a trail with a rear locker and yeah, there's a bit of a difference. Okay, a HUGE difference. It was also a necessary trip to make sure his new TD bump stops and my Bilsteins were working properly. Yeah, all in the name of scientific research.

We were of course playing "follow the leader" and Dwaine tried to keep up. He was witness to the significant flex that our Hummers have.
Redington-Pass-MO-020412-4-L.jpg

He was a bit intimidated but still tried to follow our line down this obstacle :wink:
Redington-Pass-020412-7-L.jpg

Okay, so maybe it didn't play out just like that . . . Here's Dwaine demonstrating some flex

Redington-Pass-020412-36-L.jpg

Redington-Pass-MO-020412-13-L.jpg

Naturally, he comes down this line cleanly
Redington-Pass-020412-2-L.jpg

And I cleaned off some paint
Redington-Pass-020412-14-L.jpg

Bigunit caught some air
Redington-Pass-MO-020412-9-L.jpg

We took a mellower line down
Redington-Pass-MO-020412-11-L.jpg

We made it to Chiva Falls which can be seen in the distance here. It's about 75' in height.
Redington-Pass-MO-020412-16-L.jpg

This doesn't give very good scale to the 75'
Redington-Pass-020412-48-L.jpg

Other than Bigunit's crossmember bushing failing in a big way (leaving the truck inoperable once we got to pavement) it was a good day. Even the cattle were impressed
Redington-Pass-MO-020412-14-L.jpg

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
OMG! that scorpion is insane! Nice pics and looks like a fun day...what happened to BU's bushing?

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
Nice pics! Sorry to hear about bigunits bushing. Does that thing even have springs in the back?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Bigunit's bushing completely failed, allowing the diff to rock back and forth with the propshaft. It looked like it was flexing nearly two inches, banging off the underside of the body and then the crossmember.

The Scorpion has airbags in back and overall a very unique suspension system

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Is the scorpion street legal?

I wanna see pics of the rig up close one day the suspension seems unique for sure...

Is this crossmember going under reconstruction for a better solution?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
The Scorpion is street legal. More pics can be found here but I don't know if there are any suspension pics.

http://www.scorpion4x4.com/

I think Bigunit is going to go the warranty route for starters but Dwaine is the guy that rebuilt my crossmember so I'm sure Bigunit will have a long term solution at some point.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
O ok! I thought the one that failed was dwyanes setup....Im happy it wasn't, his solution seemed top notch

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

D

Dennis

Stunning pictures..the whole scape looked awesome..

Thanks for sharing

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Just looked at the scorpion online...The 2 door model seems to have a very similar wheelbase and trackwidth to the H3. It might have a little bit more flex though :wink:

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
Can't believe I went through another front diff. crossmember so fast (approx 8k miles). The bolt that goes throught the bushing sleeve just sheered-off leaving the pumpkin to bounce up & down & side-to-side at will. needless to say, I already talked to Dwaine today and the H3/H3T front diff crossmember long-term bushing solution just took a higher priority for Dwaine. When I checked the one that Dwaine fabbed-up for Alex (it's been on his rig since November '11 and has been through at least 4 trail rides) - it still loolks brand new - which is a testament to Dwaine's fabrication skills and designs. So, I'm happy to report that this project is moving full-steam ahead and it will be a better that OEM part once we offer it to H4O members.