• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

1943 Ford GPW Jeep, Any other war time Jeep owners here. Hummer's great grandfather

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
501b6541-6eac-a59e.jpg

501b6541-6eba-2194.jpg

Found this 42 Willys assigned to the 82nd Airborne in a farm outside of Paris. This farmer's property was littered with them. The one I got was still on a pallet. The grandson started a restoration business, so with his help with got back to near new condition over a two year period. This is really my pride and joy out of all my vehicles. Thing still has the original glass mechanical fuel pump. I drove it all the way from Paris to south of Spain 110 heat. Jeep didn't flinch, but I thought I was going to die. I gained so much respect for the soldier that used them for so many years.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

bebe

Nice - mine is so far from really even being started - a long ways away from when yours and Recon's are.

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
Nice - mine is so far from really even being started - a long ways away from when yours and Recon's are.

The best part is actually finding the stuff and slowly restoring it. It's so simple it really is a do it your self project. The body stuff is the only thing you may want to get a hand with.

bebe

I should probably start a restoration thread - we've got her torn apart now.

The best part of this jeep is that is was my Grandpa's Duck hunting jeep. I think he has owned it since the late 50's - bought it from a local guy who bought it from Ford Ord.

He didn't do much with it except use it and maintain it. But he really used it LOL.

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
Make sure you preserve the hood number. There are sources on Internet for finding out their history from that number.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

bebe

There was a guy on G503 who told me it was a contract Jeep - original Army then sold to the Navy - however, they can't figure out why it is Marine Green with Yellow letters that say Navy, and how it ended up at Fort Ord, which is Army although right next to the Presidio which is Navy.

The data plates were stolen off the Jeep a couple of years ago, just before I got it. But the frame/hood and engine numbers are all correct/matching.

He said it was built in April of '45. He also said it could have gone to Vietnam/Korea which is why it ended up on the left coast.

SGT-Wright

Ft. Ord might have had a depot where all the old equipment for the region was stored then eventually sold. If you sand down the paint very slowly on the side of the hood you might be able to see what the original numbers were from the Army. The unit designations are on the bumpers and they can be found that way too. Take digital pics a lot then you can change the color and brightness to make the old numbers stand out and be easier to distinguish. Good luck with the restore it will be a lot of fun and its your chance to save a piece of history.