• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

MTUH3 - 2011 F-150 Raptor SuperCrew

MTUH3

Usually I just leave each vehicle to its own forum, but I thought I would cross pollinate.

Time of possession: Since July 2, 2011

I originally ordered the truck with the Nav system, but issues in Japan meant that was not an option on any F150 in the late MY2011 Builds.

I planned on watching the truck get built at the Rouge Plant here in MI, but it was built during the late hours. I have a few buddies at Ford, but things just snowballed to fast for us to keep up once the VIN was issued.

So far I am happy with the ride of the truck, I am more happy with the size of the SuperCrew Interior. It is significantly larger than my 2008 Silverado Crew that I just turned in.

Good:
Styling
Ride
Power
Built in 4x4 goodies
36 gallon fuel tank
8,000 lbs towing.... Just enough
4 built in Aux Switched

Bad:
Some things seem cheap:
When closing doors
Driver Mirror shakes
Interior Accent Color

Needs improvement: Notice this is me thinking of MI trails, not what the truck was designed for
Front Skid plate side opening allows debris to get caught
Step Sides, though good at deflecting rocks, are mounted to the body
Longer front Skid Plates
Wish they would have thrown a selectable front locker in anyway
411 HP is fun, but the truck seems like it should not have less than 450, and I have yet to see 500 Hp numbers from aftermarket when naturally aspirated. 500 Hp out of a 6.2L motor should be doable...

The truck is also 2" wider than a H1. It is also Taller and Longer... after following H1s though the woods on Drummond Island. It ain't gonna fit. So looks like I am going to keep it for the road and sand dunes and perhaps some of the old sand routes up north.

Also, what I have learned from the 2012 Raptors so far included Molten Orange Delete, New interior accent color, front view camera, Nav, and a New Torsen front diff. Suppose to act similarly to limited slip

P7220015.jpgP7220017.jpg

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Those are such great looking trucks. Didn't Car and Driver to an article where they took a raptor up to the Arctic Circle?

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
I love the look of that truck. I saw a white one with all accessories blacked out. I was amazing.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

05Mudiak

I really like those truck even if the r Fords ;) From what I seen around Lousiana they should stick to the dunes or high speed types of trails. They seem not to like crawling and tight trails, they do ok in mud thst just depends on the tires really they r so wide they seem to stay out of thr ruts.

very nice truck:)

M22KLARS

Unsafe At Any Speed
I agree with everyone. Those are nice. However... I still have to pull my buddies out of the mud all the time. :mock: :D

Last edited:

supersapper-rpm

"The Dude"
Almost got one last year when I was trading in my 2009 base H3T. Had a check in my hand from my credit union. They wouldnt let me test drive it so I walked. Ended up w/the 10' T. Super cool truck though!

MTUH3

Almost got one last year when I was trading in my 2009 base H3T. Had a check in my hand from my credit union. They wouldnt let me test drive it so I walked. Ended up w/the 10' T. Super cool truck though!

Well glad you kept the T. I can't believe they didn't let you test drive it! Long and funny story, but in the cliff notes version, the wife of the head guy at the dealership I was buying from had one, they lived "around the corner from me" and he brought her truck over for me to test drive. That sold it for my wife.

I am wishing I could have held out for a 2012, I don't think I want to try and trade it in and go for a 2012 though

erdlen65

Those trucks are sweet I want one as my next work truck. I like the color the only one I see around my place is orange and im not a big fan of the flashy color

MTUH3

Flashy Orange is discontinued for 2012. You get "Victory Red" as the premium color. Graphics have changed along with interior color options. 2012 so far is the truck to get

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
There was a pretty good thread on humvee.net about the Raptor frames. Quite a number of guys there have Raptors. Didn't see how it all ended up with Ford but sounded like they were trying to not cover it. I need to go check that thread again and see if it has been updated.

MTUH3

From what I have learned (I know a few guys at Ford SVT engineering) that is came down to driver error. You can't take a whoop or jump at high speed. It basically came down to that over certain terrain, the suspension cannot extend far enough to absorb the impact. Having said that also, this is not a full out of the box pre runner truck like a lot of owners think.

Expendable

Sweet truck! the torsen diff functions similar to LSDs is true. it has worm gears, Torsen also manufactures all the factory diffs for H1s and Humvees.

Fenris

Love the Raptor. The Hummer slogan of "Like Nothing Else" truly could apply for this vehicle too.

I wouldn't worry too much about the frame being too weak. If you drive into a dirt bump at good speed, chances are the suspension is allready greatly compressed, and all that travel doesn't do you much good.
Here's an more through read: http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f5/why-you-should-feel-good-about-your-raptor-frame-3253/

The thing to keep in mind is: Slow down on the approach, accelerate right before, lift off slightly as you crest the bump. Better a bit slower than too break something, and the extra travel gained as the rig squats and rears can make all the difference.

MTUH3

Fenris, I agree. Drive it smart and you won't have any major problems. I stay pretty tuned in with FRF, so I have read that post before and seems like all the "smart" people side with Ford and agree it was the driver, not the design.

Expendable

Love the Raptor. The Hummer slogan of "Like Nothing Else" truly could apply for this vehicle too.

I wouldn't worry too much about the frame being too weak. If you drive into a dirt bump at good speed, chances are the suspension is allready greatly compressed, and all that travel doesn't do you much good.
Here's an more through read: http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f5/why-you-should-feel-good-about-your-raptor-frame-3253/

The thing to keep in mind is: Slow down on the approach, accelerate right before, lift off slightly as you crest the bump. Better a bit slower than too break something, and the extra travel gained as the rig squats and rears can make all the difference.

so that is how you pre-load the suspension lkinda like how dirtbikes and ATVs do?

MTUH3

yeah that is the idea, same, but different, as adjusting the torsion bars on the 3. I am still deciding if I want to do the perch adjustment, or get the spacers... and what to do with the shocks. I suppose in the short term I could to the perch adjustment for "free." Most of my driving is on road so I won't ever really get the truck to full droop.

I did at a Ford Racing Parts Light Bar to the bumper with 4 Hella 500 lights. Install and wiring were fairly straight forward, thanks to Ford for including 4 AUX switches in the truck from the factory.