• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Chevy, GMC or Cadillac H4?

If GM released the H4 under an existing brand which would you consider purchasing?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Portager

■ ☼▐▐▐▐▐▐▐ ☼■
  1. Chevrolet
  2. GMC
  3. Cadillac
  4. None of the above
I've been told that GM invested approximately a billion dollars in the H4 design and they want to recoup some of that investment by bring it to market to compete with the Jeep Wrangler. I believe that it is unlikely that GM will resurrect the Hummer brand, so they will likely sell the H4 under one of their existing brands. If GM did sell the H4 under which brand would you be most like to purchase one?

Here is a review of the proposed H4 specs to refresh your memory.
Introduction
The H4 is yet another innovation from the brilliant minds of three new young artists in the HUMMER Studio. As announced to be released by General Motors this coming 2012, Hummer H4 was displayed at the North American International Auto Show. Greatly emanated from Hummer's H1 to H3 line up, H4 has just become smaller, nimble and modular. With an engine type of 3.6LV-6 VVT (variable valve timing) with spark-ignition and direct injection, 35 inch tires, four-wheel drive brakes and mounted front and back independent suspensions; its design was specifically intended for off-roaders who can take on any rough road without losing one's grip. Hummer H4 performs faster with longer lasting engine parts in the most comfortable, light-weighted consoles. Estimated to cost from $25,000 to $30,000, Hummer H4 is predicted to have the highest fuel economy numbers among any other Hummer models built.
Body Features
It features as a two-door, open-air off-road vehicle with slant-back pattern and painted in a matte olive scheme. Its removable doors and removable fender flares also added a gist, which is highly adorned by professional off-roaders. At its exterior, it is aesthetically formed to exude a younger, lighter theme of Hummer model. Its round headlamps located in square housings, upright windshield profile, minimal overhangs, hood vents and prominent air intakes makes Hummer H4 easily distinguishable from other types. Along with removable doors, flare fenders, roof panels and assembly, it illuminates a clean, simple, less bulky outward appearance. In its interior, a rubberized floor and instrument panel is covered with ballistic non-nylon material and has excellent storage capability under a strong base foundation of an aluminum beam.
Safety Features
With Hummer H4's four-wheel drive system, 35-inch-tall off-road tires and bead-lock style wheels, it can hover on rough roads as excellently as possible. Along with the heavy duty shocks that are custom-made and installed at each wheel, Hummer H4 provides tensile strength and stability even at the roughest road in the most undesirable off-road situation. Creatively armored with front skid plate, power-operated winch and a 3.6L SIDI V-6 of E85 FlexFuel backed up by an automatic six-speed transmission, ranging other off-roaders out will definitely lead one to winning the race.

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
I would prob buy it under a gmc tag or chevy and then remove it and have the 7slit grill or custom make one for the front. A Cadillac would just be too pricy and fancy for an off road like vehicle. There is no doubt that the H4 would have been a bad a** off roader that would have definitely put jeeps to shame. Ideally i would like it to be a "hummer" but that is probably far fetched. The H4 would have just reiterated the independent suspension is the way to go, and would have just shown how correct the H1 and hummvv designers with the suspension they designed.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
If I had to chose one it would be GMC...an offroad vehicle wouldn't fit under Cadillacs name standing next to the escalade and cts...I feel GMC would fit in the H4 the best out of the 3...who knows...maybe I will be in an H4 one day...it was designed for hummer by hummer just rebranded. I think id have to accept hummer is gone and this would be the closest I can get to a new hummer...

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Portager

■ ☼▐▐▐▐▐▐▐ ☼■
If it were available through Cadillac, I'd buy the Cadillac because I have always gotten the best service from my Cadillac dealers. I think it would be more likely to be GMC and Chevy. In which case I get the GMC, unless they made it ugly like they usually do. Chevy dealerships are very low frills blue collar environment. I'm not very comfortable in Chevy waiting rooms.

I'd also replace all the brand x logo's with Hummer logo's and try and get a 7 bad grille!

Last edited:

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
If they actually built the prototype version I would buy it no matter what brand they released it under. My preference would be GMC though. If they screwed it up like they do most concept to production models I wouldn't buy it no matter how the released it.

Tractordoll

I choose none of the above. I just don't see it ever coming, otherwise someone would be saying something somewhere. I would imagine that the leadtime to buy vehicles is long and therefore you want to generate interest "before" the car is ever released so that way you have buyers all lined up and ready to spend. I just can't imagine the car world working like some kind of ghost of Steve Jobs bursting on stage with some kind of suprise Hummer model behind the curtain shouting available starting tomorrow...surprise :)

Even if it did, the chances of it meeting the prototype spec I would think as being wishful thinking. With our luck it will end up being a GMC terrain with a Hummer Hx body on top, no 35" tires, 4.5" of ground clearance and quality built in Mexico from Chinese parts but it would have an ipod port. Big whoop :whaa:

Big2dabank

I choose GMC, because i think they were on the right track with the GMC All-terrain pickup concept and if they take what they learned from the development of the HX I think it could be a great vehicle.

url

url

Last edited:

HUMMERADDICT

I vote none of the above, but if pressed in a corner i'd say GMC. It makes no sense as a Cadillac. If it were produced as a GMC i'd buy a used one someday so GM won't see any of my money.

08SolarFlareH3

Super Swampers
GMCHUMMERHX.jpg

The dust surrounding GM’s decision to shutter the HUMMER brand had just about settled when new rumors of select models living on under a different General Motors brand. Posts over on ClubHummerOffroad.com suggested that GM may be considering releasing the H3 and HX model under the GMC nameplate. A source close to the matter said that the option was discussed, but that there are no plans to release any HUMMER models with a GMC badge anytime soon.

From the beginning, GM wondered if it was necessary to have an entirely separate brand for HUMMER. Mark LaNeve, who was GM North America VP of sales at the time, told us that they had played around with giving HUMMER models names like “Moab” – and had also considered launching them alongside a current brand like GMC. GM ultimately decided to position the brand not only as the most capable off-road vehicle on the market, but also as a luxury class vehicle – which meant dealerships would need to offer a higher-end buying experience than most GMC dealerships are predisposed to.

As far as the possibility of once-HUMMER models entering GM dealerships of any kind in the near future, don’t hold your breath.

First, under the conditions of the government bailout, GM was forced to consolidate brands since investigators believed they were spreading themselves too thin. Don’t expect GM to jump back in the off-road segment before dealers even run out of new HUMMER inventory.

Second, our source tells us that no work is being done on the HUMMER line – and in order to meet the regulatory and CAFE hurdles coming in the next few years, the “old (HUMMER) architectures need big investment,” even if they were to be released under a different badge.

Regarding the return of HUMMER: “I’ll never say never,” said Nick Richards – HUMMER’s communication manager who now heads Chevy Volt’s product communications.

If GM did decide they wanted to be back in the HUMMER game, it would most likely be after a great deal of time – years and years
http://www.hummerguy.net/hummer-news/gm-considered-releasing-hummer-models-as-gmcs

Last edited:

LagunaH1

I doubt GM would launch anything close to the HX prototype. Keep in mind how long ago that was designed. The GMC All Terran prototype seems like a more realistic idea to me, it would probably compete nicely with Ford's SVT Raptor, which btw is what I'd get if I was in the market.

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
All I will add is, except for the powertrain, the Hx and the H4 were two different beasts. And the H4 was still low on the pole of sourcing, testing and determining what Mexican plant was going to produce the vehicle. When it was cancelled back in 08, it was probably a good two to three years away from being released. And I might add, there was NO existing platform for the vehicle and that adds quite a bit of costs.