• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Clunk in front end

Scarsman

Sponsor
I have a "clunk" that I can hear and feel in the front of my H2. It occurs sometimes when taking off from a stop as you step on the gas and it starts to go. I can feel it, and it sort of feels like it is under my feet.

Last week I was coming to a stop behind a car that suddenly braked, so I was stopping hard. In addition to braking I shifted the tranny down to help. When it shifted down into first gear I felt the clunk happen. Then when I took off again it clunked. Kind of like something shifting back and forth from the torque. My though was maybe a front diff mount.

I can also make it do it sometimes by stepping on the brake, put it in drive, and give it a little gas. Then put it in reverse and do the same.

Today I climbed under and had my wife get in and do the pwer braking while I looked at thiings. Once it was explained to me that I needed to be a little more patient in explaining what it was I wanted from someone who had never done this before, :emb: I could see the diff rocking forward and back, with movement in the rear diff mount.

I am not sure what the mount should look like, but it does look to me like it has too much play. Here are some pics. These are all in the "at rest" position.

Looking forward at the rear diff mount:

Diff2.jpg

Close up of the bottom of the mount. Note there is a good 1/4" of space between the plate and the rubber:

Diff.jpg

Here is a close up of the top:

Diff1.jpg

Under torque in drive the whole thing moves up almost an inch. That seems pretty exsessive to me. Anyone had issues with this before? Anyone else's have this much slop? It is going in soon to have the front diff resealed under warranty, so if this mount is bad I'll have it done also, since they will have it all apart anyway. Just trying to gain some knowledge before I take it in.

Zach

Mall Crawler
I am going through the same issue right now. I had an intermitent clunk at times. Ended up replacing the front diff crossmember about a month ago. At first it seemed like it was gone. Then a week later had the same clunk happen again, but still not a constant clunk. On Monday coming home from San Diego getting on the freeway I got on it a little bit and clunk. Ever since then it is a constant clunk. Mainly when shifting in lower gears and coming to a stop. Now it does it when I shift from drive to neutral. Pulled it into the shop and had someone get under the truck to see what it was. Checked the front diff bushing, looked good. Put it in drive and nothing, went to put it in reverse and you can see the front diff going up and down. The inner part of the front diff bushing is completely gone. Had to overnight the bushing and should have it replaced today. I will try and get some pictures of it up later

H3slate

Brush raked
Sounds like someone got in trouble with the boss:eek:

Your diff mount needs to be replaced. You can see that it is torn at the bottom.

I have gone through 3 mounts on the 3.

Double check all the mounts, I had to also replace the forward mount last time.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Scarsman

Sponsor
Ok, good. It looked that way to me, but having never really looked at it closely before when it didn't clunk, I just wanted another opinion.

And, after the brief discussion about interpersonal communication, all is well. ;)

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
While we are on topic, I drove the 2 the other day and everytime i went over a bump, the right front area of the car made a noise, like a dent popping in and out, except there are no dents, any thoughts? Im really hoping it's not what you guys are going through

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Zach

Mall Crawler
Mine has turned into an ordeal. Bushing didn't get replaced today. Front diff needs to come out and need a j tool to replace it. And of course we don't have it and it is a Hummer specific tool. My luck, it's not available till mid Feb. Trying to find a dealer to borrow it from. Don't want to just pound it in and risk breaking the ear on the diff. When it rains it pours

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
sorry to hear the bad news Zach. Hopefully it gets resolved soon

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Timgco

Hugh Hefner
While we are on topic, I drove the 2 the other day and everytime i went over a bump, the right front area of the car made a noise, like a dent popping in and out, except there are no dents, any thoughts? Im really hoping it's not what you guys are going through

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

There was also a TSB on "Oil Canning" way back in the day. the metal under the battery tray would flex and pop. this would happen to the point yu could feel in the the floorboards and even in the steering column at times.

The "fix" was to remove the battery/ battery tray and "dimple" the metal. basically smack it with a hammer making dents. this was GM's fix for that.

Not sure it that's your issue or not, but was pretty common on 03, 04, and 05's. My newer 06/07's never did it though, just the earlier years for some reason.

...worth a shot.

I have a "clunk" that I can hear and feel in the front of my H2. It occurs sometimes when taking off from a stop as you step on the gas and it starts to go. I can feel it, and it sort of feels like it is under my feet.

Last week I was coming to a stop behind a car that suddenly braked, so I was stopping hard. In addition to braking I shifted the tranny down to help. When it shifted down into first gear I felt the clunk happen. Then when I took off again it clunked. Kind of like something shifting back and forth from the torque. My though was maybe a front diff mount.

I can also make it do it sometimes by stepping on the brake, put it in drive, and give it a little gas. Then put it in reverse and do the same.

Today I climbed under and had my wife get in and do the pwer braking while I looked at thiings. Once it was explained to me that I needed to be a little more patient in explaining what it was I wanted from someone who had never done this before, :emb: I could see the diff rocking forward and back, with movement in the rear diff mount.

I am not sure what the mount should look like, but it does look to me like it has too much play. Here are some pics. These are all in the "at rest" position.

Looking forward at the rear diff mount:

Diff2.jpg

Close up of the bottom of the mount. Note there is a good 1/4" of space between the plate and the rubber:

Diff.jpg

Here is a close up of the top:

Diff1.jpg

Under torque in drive the whole thing moves up almost an inch. That seems pretty exsessive to me. Anyone had issues with this before? Anyone else's have this much slop? It is going in soon to have the front diff resealed under warranty, so if this mount is bad I'll have it done also, since they will have it all apart anyway. Just trying to gain some knowledge before I take it in.

Had the same issue and noticed during our first snowstorm I had no front wheels spining, I only had rear wheel drive. My front fork was broke and the clunk was the front end engauging and disenguaging. Still have warranty so it was all good

Scarsman

Sponsor
Well, got the truck back from the dealer. The diff crossmember/mount was bad. I think the oil blowing back onto it from the leaking diff ruined the rubber. They replaced the crossmember, sealed the diff, replaced both axle seals in the diff, replaced an oil cooler line for leaking, and replaced a weeping power steering line.

Grand total: $108.70 GMPP deductable! And no more clunk!

Big2dabank

Nice, I priced the cross member a few months ago, because I am having a similar issue and the best I could get was around $300 for the cross member. No way I am paying that much to just replace the bushing. I fixed it temporarily, but need to work on a more permanent fix.

afatouraee

I was wondering if there is a possibility to buy the bushing separately. If so can you guys let me know where i can purchase this bushing from. thanks

Scarsman

Sponsor
No, you can't. It is a complete GM part with the entire crossmember. You would probably have to have one custom made, or find something to adapt. That is what I will do next time once it is not under warranty.