• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Colorado Snow Run?

ajk150

Hey guys i was wondering if anyone is interested in a snow run? I would really love to get out and see what Colorado has to offer, but i've never wheeled here before so i have no idea where to go and no friends to wheel with yet :emb:. So if anyone is interested we should try and set something up.

Timgco

Hugh Hefner
snow wheeling in the mountains here = not a good idea...esp. if you are note familiar with the trails on dry trails!!! The trails can get waayyy to much snow for your rig and can get you stranded out there pretty quick.
you can try slaughterhouse up 285 or head out to Buena Vista. That's what most of the moderate built rigs go to. Everything else is that harder core rigs running 37" and larger with chains and they don;t care if they bounce off trees. You'll find most trails are closed now.

reaper

Mountain trails with snow are HAIRY... but Slaughterhouse is low enough that it shouldn't be crazy this time of year, but I wouldn't run it after a big snow storm. It's an ordinarily kind of boring trail, but great with mud. :) You might find some dirt roads up your way that are fun after a snow, but nothing in the mountains.

I'd be down for a mud/snow run at Slaughterhouse someday, depending on schedule. There's also some great little trails around Sedalia (west of Castle Rock) that are REALLY mellow but kind of fun in snow. I'm down this way (around Park Meadows...).

On that note: do you snowboard? :) I do Berthoud Pass and Loveland Pass quite a bit.

ajk150

Mountain trails with snow are HAIRY... but Slaughterhouse is low enough that it shouldn't be crazy this time of year, but I wouldn't run it after a big snow storm. It's an ordinarily kind of boring trail, but great with mud. :) You might find some dirt roads up your way that are fun after a snow, but nothing in the mountains.

I'd be down for a mud/snow run at Slaughterhouse someday, depending on schedule. There's also some great little trails around Sedalia (west of Castle Rock) that are REALLY mellow but kind of fun in snow. I'm down this way (around Park Meadows...).

On that note: do you snowboard? :) I do Berthoud Pass and Loveland Pass quite a bit.

I'd be interested in slaughterhouse, My rig isn't quite ready for anything to hardcore yet, but its plenty capable to handle snow/mud. Plus if things get tricky i got chains in the back. On that other note, i'm a skier, and currently at telluride for the week. But all next week and week after ill be free and just roaming around before school starts back up. So if your interested in hitting a few trails with the trucks let me know, or if you want to hit up some mtn let me know haha

reaper

On this note: here's a flat road in Sedalia that's pretty close, that is REALLY FUN in snow (deeper the better). A great little country side road. I had my wife pull me and my kids in a sled down this road. It's a county road going through private property in the middle of nowhere, it also goes THROUGH a farm (right through a bunch of cows).

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=N+Bee...lia,+Douglas,+Colorado+80135&t=m&z=16&iwloc=A

DJinCO

I would recommend something like visiting St Elmo and maybe Tincup. That would be an enjoyable route, allowing for scenic beauty and not risking death and destruction. A good plan for folks to get the feel of the group. Buena Vista is easily accessible from Denver via 285 to Hwy 24 or Colorado Springs by going west on Hwy 24. About a 2 hr drive from either. It would be an easy day trip, IMHO.

reaper

Plan to meet on Feb. 18th, 8:30 in Golden CO at the information center

Is this a "club hummer" event for members only? Or an open event?

I contacted a club hummer guy before, he was a total prick and said the event was only for club hummer dbags with paid memberships. (No offense to the club hummer members on here... I'm sure you're not included in that statement. :) )

If it's open, I'm in. :) If not, we should plan our own trip.

ajk150

I've got a friend in CO with an H1 who is planning a Hummer event there in Feb. for a snow run. Im pretty sure ( unfortunetaly ) that its for Hummers only. Sorry AJK:roll:
Not having a hummer anymore so sucks :gaah:

What day are you looking to go on? Just in case, so I can have someone cover down for me on my duty days.
hey sorry, i kinda fell of the face of the earth for a while there haha. But i'm free for the next week, so anytime then works for me. Although know that it has snowed i feel like slaughterhouse might actually be a death trap know so i'm starting to get a bit ify about it.

671HUMMER

hey sorry, i kinda fell of the face of the earth for a while there haha. But i'm free for the next week, so anytime then works for me. Although know that it has snowed i feel like slaughterhouse might actually be a death trap know so i'm starting to get a bit ify about it.
it's cool!

Timgco

Hugh Hefner
I'm not sure how much snow is on Slaughterhouse now, but I can tell you with all the sahded areas, off camber areas, I would not do that trail in anything short of a buggy once it gets their 2ft plus mark. Don't worry though, in teh off camber section, the trees will stop you from going down anymore than 20ft. :mock:
I used to take my Rhino up there durring the winter and would see rigs (built rigs) stuck in the off camber section pushed up against trees.

Highatop

Wow, I can't believe, I missed this thread. I have not been out since gettin my new tires, 35s, and tierods fixed. I also never wheeled in the winter either. I would think, with enough support it wouldn't be to bad?
So, put me a the list too. I'm ready