• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Taking my H3 to the next level

VegasH3

I have a 2009 H3 adventure I5 with the stock F/R lockers, CI diff and with 35's. I like rock crawling and I'd like to do some mods to step up my H3. My other truck is a 2dr Jk rubi moderatley built on 37's. With the long wheel base of the H3 I'd really like to run 37 inch tires or more. Been thinking about either a solid axle swap or just simply building up the IFS and doing the rancho lift. Seems like with the RCV half shafts and some stout tie rods the only weak link is the diff. I know the non-rubi JK Dana 30 R&P holds up well even with 37's. How does the R&P of the H3 compare to a dana 30? It seems like the underpowered I5 of the H3 non-alpha would be an advantage of sorts in terms of not grenading your diff (I know this is true with the JK and it's similarly underpowered V6). The other option is going all out with the SAS. If there was an established kit for a SAS I would probably go that route, but that obviously isn't available and I don't want to be a guinee pig. Not to mention I have zero fab abilities. I have the funds for a major project, but I don't want to venture into the "unknown/untried".

Last edited:

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
You came to the perfect forum for this. If you want to read about an SAS you can follow my build thread. If you want to read about a beefed up IFS, there is Bebe's build. Both are expensive and time consuming. Not something to do on your own. Find somebody that has experience with either setup and get their help/advice.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
welcome board! If you want some info and ideas this is the place. Talk to the forum members around here and we can help. Find a good 4x4 shop and they can really set you up, glad to see someone wanting to push an H3 onto tougher trails and wanting a build a little bit more extreme.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
IFS

bebe- http://www.hummer4x4offroad.com/for...Long-Travel-H3-Build-Thread-A-Boy-Howdy-Story

The pirate one is more up to date. read both though for IFS info...

http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=915987

Solid axle read this

http://www.hummer4x4offroad.com/forum/showthread.php?57-ReconH3-Build-Thread-v2.0

research 4speedfunk on here, his posts may be helpful towards a cheaper route then recon...

I will be ranchoing my H3 when the damn UPS man gets here...I have some similar ideas to bebes that I want to work out with the rancho lift and front diff but if you have the funds go her route lol

VegasH3

You came to the perfect forum for this. If you want to read about an SAS you can follow my build thread. If you want to read about a beefed up IFS, there is Bebe's build. Both are expensive and time consuming. Not something to do on your own. Find somebody that has experience with either setup and get their help/advice.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

Both of those builds have really gone the full distance, but in different directions. I like to rock crawl so if I were to do a major build I would probably go solid axle. Pro-rock 60's in an H3 is awesome. Half of the mods I did on my JK were from EVO parts. Pretty awesome that you had them do your H3! Ultimately I see my H3 with an axle/suspension build like that. Too bad EVO didn't make a kit like they were planning, would have been much simpler.

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
When he did mine, the purpose was to make it as a kit. Shortly after mine was done, he did an H3T. Tye H3T was done only in the fron maintaining the the OEM eear. He has all the parts in a CAD as a kit. What I doubt is that it is a do it yourself kit.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone