• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Air Filter Change...better fuel mileage? Think again....

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
I know this article will give heartburn to many; especially those who still believe a 3K oil change is necessary, regardless if the oil is still good or not. But reading over the report, it appears to be well tested and researched. But if you know anything about how the new modern engine works with computer controlled fuel injection, it actually makes sense. Amazing no one has ever performed testing like this to see if clean air filters product better fuel mileage.

[h=2]NEW INFORMATION: Replacing a Clogged Air Filter on Modern Cars Improves Performance but Not MPG[/h]A new study shows that replacing a clogged air filter on cars with fuel-injected, computer-controlled gasoline engines does not improve fuel economy but it can improve acceleration time by around 6 to 11 percent. This kind of engine is prevalent on most gasoline cars manufactured from the early 1980s onward.
Tests suggest that replacing a clogged air filter on an older car with a carbureted engine may improve fuel economy 2 to 6 percent under normal replacement conditions or up to 14 percent if the filter is so clogged that it significantly affects drivability.
The effect of a clogged air filter on diesel vehicles will be tested in the near future.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/maintain.shtml

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
So I didn't need to clean this filter? :roll:

i-Pgsb78Q-L.jpg

theBroken

I just installed a new paper filter to replace my dirty oil based filter. The first tank of gas with the new filter was the same as with the old filter.

Big2dabank

Does the study take into account the more free flowing air filter designs or just the standard paper filters. I guess I should read the article, but its hard not to beileive that replacing the standard paper filter with a more free flowing/washable type filter does not help improve both economy and acceleration.

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
Best to read the article. It's about replacing a dirty filter with the same filter.

And I know many will dispute this, especially those selling free flowing exhausts, but with the computer systems used today on vehicles, different air filters probably make no big difference with fuel mileage; whereas, they will make a difference with acceleration.

As for Alrock, this does not cover a filter that is so packed with dirt, no air hardly flows through it to the engine. Of course your mileage will go up if you have to push the vehicle.