• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Expedition South Pole

Ron B

been checking them out on fb for a bit:
https://www.facebook.com/southpoleexpedition

I think the truck broke an a-arm -- recent pics show the thing held together by ratchet straps. Why they have chase vehicles!

I love what they are doing ...but...they should be a bit embarrassed for not having replacement parts and some critical spares or at least a welder and tech to fix this kind of stuff when it occurs (and it will occur). The latest post says they are having replacement parts flown in from the closest Toyota dealer. Wow...going to the south pole with stock suspension?!

on a brighter noteDakar is for pussies! Looks like we will need a new race to the South Pole!!

Last edited:

Portager

■ ☼▐▐▐▐▐▐▐ ☼■
I think it is cool (no pun intended) but I think they should have used Mattrack's. You probably have to be a sponsor to get your stuff on their truck.

Big2dabank

I was going to say the same thing as RonB. Looks like they broke the stock lower control arm before they really even got started, shame on them for not having the spares or at least beefed up these parts. There are plenty of companies that make strong aftermarket suspsension parts for that platform.

bebe

Running 44" tires on a stock suspension? And all the extra weight of the fuel??? And no spares??

They have made some poor planning decisions. Still I wish them the best of luck and will be watching.

bebe

I think it is cool (no pun intended) but I think they should have used Mattrack's. You probably have to be a sponsor to get your stuff on their truck.

Mattracks are far less reliable and only work in one type of terrain.

Looks like they has some decent help from the Nordic wheelers.

These guys build bullet proof stuff up there: Icelandic Wheeling

Ron B

I doubt anyone here carries spare a-arms...but we are usually a few hours from civilization let alone let alone in one of the most remote places on the planet.

I am surprised and happy they made it! 1 day 15 hrs and 54 mins...not including the day or so they waited on parts. I think they beat the old record by a day. Good for them!

Hunner

Guess it depends on how far you can walk, if you don't have a support train or FedX.
Uppers carried when far from anywhere and you don't want to be.
DAH_9423.jpg

The lowers are cast iron not stamped sheet metal but I don't know how tough they are at subzero temps.

Last edited:

Mb30sdl

Hamster that pokes Bears
they needed to use Arctick Trucks, this guys use same totota hilux platform. TopGear made it with no brakedown (exept Clarcson's crash)