• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

How long do you think Hummer will be around?

HUMMER INVESTMENTS

[o O IIIIIIII O o]
Just thinking around 10 years down the line. Do you think that Hummer will be back by then? What about the Clubs? How long do you think they will stick around? All of this got me thinking when I went to test drive a jeep:sigh: Id love to get a new Rubicon and customize it, saying as Jeep is still in business. But I do know that a stock H3 will outbeat a new Rubicon ( trust me I know from my experiance! ). When I tried to take the Rubi in the Sky Dive, I got hung up comming out, and trying to get aways from the wall, I ripped off the front bolt holding the fender, cracked the headlight,and screwed up the front bumper. Thank God for insurance!:thumbs:

-Olan

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
Oh trust me Hummer has one of the strongest brand loyalties all over the world. Plus im gunna get rich, buy hummer from GM, start the brand back up and make it better then ever!!

Sent via Tapatalk

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
GM no longer owns the Hummer name or marketing rights. They reverted back to AM General a few months ago. There is scuttlebutt that AMG is considering bringing the H1 back but no word on when a decision might be made.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
PS, I agree. Hummer has a fanatically loyal and strong constituency. It is an iconic, unique vehicle that will survive for a long, long time.

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
GM no longer owns the Hummer name or marketing rights. They reverted back to AM General a few months ago. There is scuttlebutt that AMG is considering bringing the H1 back but no word on when a decision might be made.

Oh well that changes my plan then.....i dont see why AM general wont bring back all of them. They already have the setup for the H1 and H2, all they would have to add is the line for the H3. There would be a huge market for them!

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
GM still has the rights to the H2 and H3 design, just not the Hummer name. AMG has the rights to the H1.

Last edited:

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
Well the way these are all interconnected is making life hard. Lets all pool our money together, and buy all of it under the H4O name! haha jkjk

LagunaH1

I'd love to be a fly on a wall in some of AMG's meetings where they debate the business viability of doing something with a H1 style truck

SGT-Wright

AMG needs to build an all new H3 sized H1 style suspension truck standard with F/R diff locks, 35" tires, inboard winch, full brush guard, 300+ HP, 20+ MPG, CTIS, Alison 6 speed, 4 to 1 low transfer, and air adjustable ride height.
Anything I missed?:thumbs:

Ron B

You mean a 12" narrower h1 (the h1 and h3 are about the same length and height). Air ride is cool but always leaks. I'd say stick with 37's and use a cummins or steyr diesel. Keep it simple and and as mechanical as possible (less to go wrong in the boonies). AMG will at least be making parts until humvees are replaced with something else...and seeing our crappy economic state I am sure we will stick with what we have a while longer. I hope the rumors are true and AMG has something up their sleeve now that GM is (thank gawd) out of the picture.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
I plan to be around. Not sure how long squeaky will make it but even if I end up getting a fuel efficient daily driver I will still have a hummer for offroad purposes :) I hope AMG makes something badass. I just wanna stay in a hummer. No other brand

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

RuggedH2

Web Wheeler
As far as how long Hummer will be around... Well, this International Scout is about 45 now.

49b3d749.jpg

Hans3T

Lif"T"ed
I've been a Hummer nut for over a decade...I don't see that fire smoldering anytime soon.

As for a re-release of any Hummer vehicle? I don't see that happening anytime soon. I think Jeep will rule the "off the lot off-road capable" market for a long, long time.

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
Ever since I rode in my aunts 2003 H2 when i was like 11 i have been in love with them, and have always wanted one. And now that i have one, i would not trade it for a jeep, toyota, land rover, or any other off road brand vehicle. There is a reason why a hummer is truly "like nothing else"

Sent via Tapatalk

DJinCO

I don't think the HUMMER as we know it will ever return to the assembly line.

For example, the Land Rover has been around for decades. The Defender has been (without much disagreement) a leader in off-road, go anywhere capability. The "new redesigned" Defender concept (DC100) is being developed. It looks like a plastic version of a Kia. Look at what became of the Range Rover. The ultimate $75K mall crawler. Sure, the advertisements say that it can go off road. Look at what Ford said the Raptor could do. Then when people take it off road and break it the dealer says "abuse" and denies the warranty claim.

So, in my humble opinion (IMHO) I am afraid that the redesigned and neutered HUMMER would be more in line with the new version of the Range Rover than the Defender of our youth. (OK, my youth, I mean the 50's and 60's).

The Scout has a nice but small following. Mostly those who like to mod and wrench. Jeeps are the classic off-road vehicle, available for folks to wrench and mod, or deliver to a shop and dump buckets of money to create a off-road vehicle. I took a gander at the new "Arctic Jeep Wrangler". Some nice ideas but more marketing than real cold weather stuff. I especially like the logo. it has 90 degrees N and 0 degrees W. The compass rose is positioned no where near 90N000W. That is in the Arctic Ocean. I have been there.

It's all about marketing. All show. That is why I love the HUMMER. No bling, just capability and durability.

Kurt

Hummer will be around, most of the owners who were in it for the "flavor of the week" aspect were shaken off the tree over the last few years when they faced the prospect of no longer turning in their lease for a new model year or couldn't handle owning a vehicle with without warranty.

IndyHummers

Hummers will be around a long time I think. We have enough of a cult following to keep that alive. It would be nice if AM General could bring something out. The only thing I could see if the national Hummer club fizzling out, they have a horrible and stupid business plan. H4O and similar clubs should be fine. Last I heard the Illiana Hummer Club still had over 100 loyal members so I think Hummer will be okay.

f5moab

Mr. Beretta

I thought GM still owned the name and that they actually purchased the name.

This is from the AM website:
General Motors does not own any part of AM General. In December 1999, AM General and General Motors Corporation finalized an agreement to jointly pursue product, marketing and distribution opportunities for HUMMER®. Under the final agreement, GM acquired the exclusive ownership of the HUMMER brand name worldwide and the original civilian HUMMER was renamed the HUMMER H1. Since 2002, AM General has produced the HUMMER H2 as a contract assembler for GM. GM has responsibility for marketing and distributing all HUMMERs.
Humvee is a registered trademark and owned by AM General. Numerous toys, games, clothing items and other licensed products are for sale at stores around the world. If you are interested in obtaining rights to license a Humvee product, contact Mike Gard at Global Icons, Inc. at (310) 820-5300. E-mail: mgard@globalicons.com. If you are interested in the HUMMER brand for licensing purposes, you must contact General Motors.

kflips

AMG needs to build an all new H3 sized H1 style suspension truck standard with F/R diff locks, 35" tires, inboard winch, full brush guard, 300+ HP, 20+ MPG, CTIS, Alison 6 speed, 4 to 1 low transfer, and air adjustable ride height.
Anything I missed?:thumbs:

& Stronger front diffs & suspension - then we are golden.

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
That was through October 2011. Then they would have had to renew or do a new agreement.

Where did you read that? I thought that GM still owned the name Hummer and could sell it at any time; not that they would. I always heard the 2011 agreement was for the rights to market AM General built hummers and for the agreement for AM to build the H2.

If the name was to revert back to AM Gen in Oct, how could GM attempt to sell the brand along with the name a year ago?

Last edited:

Tractordoll

I thought that the reason why there is no 2007+ H1's is because the cost of putting in the right diesel engine was far too expensive to make the vehicle cost effectove anymore? If they did manage to bring back the H1, I wonder if it would come back with the 6.5l turbo diesel of it would be some kind of hybrid?

If they did try and bring it back and GM wanted back in on the action I would tell AM General to run as fast as they can :)

skeptic

Honestly, with no new Hummers rolling off the assembly line and the prices dropping over the coming years as they get older and less fashionable I expect to see a shift in type of owner. I'd like to think most people here are willing to wheel their Hummer at least to some extent, but a lot of people out there are not willing to push the limits of a $20k, $30k, $40k+ vehicle. As prices drop more people are going to pick one up as a wheeling, camping, back country truck.

As to the comment that an H3 can out wheel a Rubicon... A TJ Rubi maybe, and certainly there are likely specific places where an H3 is better, but overall I have to believe a new JK Rubicon is at least as capable as an H3 stock for stock.