• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Diff breathers

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
Hey, so in my reading i keep coming across the diff breathers, and how it is recommended to raise them up higher. I thought there was a post while back but i dont really remember, so if someone knows the location of the front and rear diff breathers, and if it recommended to raise their height at all, please post up.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
My front diff breather is under the hood but pretty high up. Id say comparable to the height of where the battery is mounted but on the other side of the engine compartment

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

08SolarFlareH3

Super Swampers
Breather extensions (front diff, rear diff, and transfercase) are on my to do list. I try to avoid deep water crossings but if I have to make one or one turns out to be deeper then expected, I would like to be prepared. Its kinda like my Safari Snorkel, I don't plan on using it but it will be nice to know I have it if a situation was ever to arises.

Ron B

one of the primary uses for a snorkel is not for water, but dust -- look at Aussie trucks with their snorkels/pre-cleaners in the outback. I think the engine would die long before getting anywhere near the snorkel inlet unless it's a fully mechanical diesel or one with sealed electronics.

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
Rear diff breather is located in the left rear wheel well at the top.

As for raising the breather lines...don't forget the trans, and don't forget, most of the tube ends are higher than the electronics in the vehicle. Even though the PCM/ECM/TCM and EBCM are noted as waterproof, not sure how they would survive being submerged for a period of time. In addition, the rear might seem lower thant the front lines, and it is, but I guess GM assumes that if the water is above the rear inlet (for the rear diff), the BCM is already submerged and you are swimming. The BCM is NOT water proof and if it goes, you don't go.

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
Sit in the passengers seat. The panel your right foot is leaning against on the inside of the vehicle, is the kick panel. Behind that is the BCM. And the door seals do not do a good job of keeping flooding water out. They are designed to keep rain out. So if you submerge the vehicle above the door sills, water will enter and water and BCM do not mix well.

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
Sit in the passengers seat. The panel your right foot is leaning against on the inside of the vehicle, is the kick panel. Behind that is the BCM. And the door seals do not do a good job of keeping flooding water out. They are designed to keep rain out. So if you submerge the vehicle above the door sills, water will enter and water and BCM do not mix well.

Ahh thanks so much, that helps alot! now back to the topic of breathers, do you guys recommend i change the rear diff fluid because i know i got the rear breather under water the last outing i had :shifty:

Sent via Tapatalk

deserth3

Ahh thanks so much, that helps alot! now back to the topic of breathers, do you guys recommend i change the rear diff fluid because i know i got the rear breather under water the last outing i had :shifty:

Sent via Tapatalk
If there's any water in the oil it will turn a milky white. You can always pull the plug, stick you finger in and see what comes out.

The oil is easy to change. There's a drain hole in the bottom. Just make sure you pull the fill plug first. It sucks to drain the oil just to find you can't put in more. I also use blue locktite when I reinstall the drain plug. Helps keep it from leaking.

M

MUTAINT

Sooo where is the BCM located then? Considering this is the first time i have ever heard of it haha

Sent via Tapatalk

BCM.jpg

Doc Olds

There are those that think going through deep water is cool, macho off road kinda stuff. You know, "watch me go through this long deep puddle with muddy water all up on my hood." I know what that does to your truck and its reliability/longevity. I'll just point and laugh while taking pics thanks.

Myself, I have boats for water, they are designed for it.

I might consider crossing deep water if there was an island of hot, horny, sex crazed naked women with cold beer on the other side. :cheers:

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
I might consider crossing deep water if there was an island of hot, horny, sex crazed naked women with cold beer on the other side. :cheers:

Agreed!!, i dont plan on going that deep contanstly, i was inquiring for educational purposes, and if a water crossing is neccessary, its good to know where such things are located. It does look good when you hit some water and it flys up...just sayin :shifty:

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
I stay clear of water as much as possible. Most people don't understand the damage it does to seals and bearings. On the other hand, I do want to have everything as well prepared, just in case I have to get across a body of water if there is a urgent need that requires it.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone