• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H3 What is the best Tire size????

Can007

Just looking for some guidance from the pro's... what is the correct tire size based on the gear ratio as well as engine size for the H3??? 31, 33, 35???? looking to buy new tires and want to make sure I get it right, also I do not push the gear and engine to much, any suggestions???

Scarsman

Sponsor
Well there are two stock sizes, 265/75-16 on non- adventure package, and 285/75-16 on the adventure package. They are 31" and 33" respectivly. Many people run 35"s on both adventure and non- adventure models, with both the V8 and I5. Depends on what you are looking for out of your truck.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk

Flash

The vehicle was clearly designed for 33"s as that is what comes standard from the designers in the adventure offroad package. The gear ratios (4.56 or 4.11 or 4:10 I forget - depending on I5 vs V8) are accurate with 33" tires. When changing to a 35" or even a 37" or 38", the gear ratios change. A 4:56 with 33's becomes a 4:29 with 35's and a 4:11 with 33's becomes a 3:86 with 35's. If you tow (like a fishing boat or Motorcycle trailer) then 33's seem to be preferable over 35's. When off roading, some believe that the extra ground clearance afforded by 35's is negated when airing down. 35's will fit with zero modifications including the rear carrier. Some think that extra stress on front end components comes with 35's, yet others claim miles and miles of trouble free driving. Some find a small bit of tire rub on full lock turns after adjusting the torsion bars and running 35's. Others do not have this. Seems to be dependent on the tire manufacturer. 285x75x16 equates to a 33" tire as does a 305x70x16. Typically 315x75x16 is regarded as a 35" tire with the actual diameter being dependent upon the manufacturer - meaning that some 315's are actually 34.6" and others are 35", etc. 35's are heavier thus theoretically are harder on gas mileage and brakes. Most tire manufacturers recommend at least an 8" wide rim for their 315's however many H3 owners sucessfully run stock 7.5" width rims and 35's. 305's and 315's run about 12-12.5" tread width with 285's yeilding about 11-11.25" of tread contact width.

Last edited:

M22KLARS

Unsafe At Any Speed
Well I would say that in 3 posts the question has been answered but I'll give my opinion anyways.

We'll keep this short and sweet:

35's look the best and perform really well but 33's are probably the best size all around for a daily driver with a mix of off road adventures.

Of course it all depends on what you want your truck to be. Daily Driver, Daily Driver with mixed off road adventures, dedicated trail rig, expedition vehicle, etc.

08SolarFlareH3

Super Swampers
P265/75R16 - Stock non Adventure Package size = 32" x 10.5" - Lots of tires available in this size.

LT285/75R16 - Stock Adventure Package size = 33" x 11.5" - Lots of tires available in this size.

LT255/85R16 - Optional Size = 33" x 10.5" - Same height as the stock Adventure Package tire but narrow like the stock non Adventure Adventure tire. Being narrow this makes it a great choice for areas that get a lot of snow (On road style driving, not deep off road snow). Very few tires available in this size (Cooper S/T, BFGoodrich KM2, Maxxis Bighorn, Toyo M/T, and just a couple others)

LT305/70R16 - Optional Size = 33" x 12.5" - Same height as the stock Adventure Package tire but an inch wider (Same width as a 315/75R16). Great choice for mild and serious offroaders alike. Lots of tires available in this size.

LT295/75R16 - Optional Size = 33.5" x 11.5" - Little taller then the stock Adventure Package tire but the retains the same width. Very few tires available in this size (BFGoodrich T/A KO, General AT2, Toyo A/T, Nitto Terra, Interco SS-M16, and just a couple others)

LT315/75R16 - Optional Size = 35" x 12.5" - Two inches taller and an inch wider then the stock Adventure Package tire. Lots of tires available in this size.

Hunner

315's might be 2 inches taller top to bottom but mounted that works out to 1 inch more clearance but depending on how close to 35 the tire is could only be 3/4 inch more clearance under the vehicle minus whatever happens when you air it down. I guess the circumference is still larger than smaller sizes aired down but does change the resulting height. The other factor is mounted on a 7.5 rim squeezes the beads and side wall in and can reduce actual tread patch contact but could give more height.
It's always sumpthin:shifty:

Portager

■ ☼▐▐▐▐▐▐▐ ☼■
There have been many great responses that summarize all the details quite well, but it all comes down to how you plan to use your truck and what you want to get out of it.

If it is a daily driver and never off road, then stick with the stock tire size. Tread choice depends on street conditions, i.e. A/T for normal pavement and a M/S for snow.

If you do moderate off roading then stick with the stock tire size but go to a more aggressive tread like a mud tire.

If you're driving through loose sand, mud, ... and having issues with sinking in, then try the 305/70R16 in a mud tread. The wider tread will help.

If you plan to do serious off-roading trips especially if you're running with a group where everyone else has 35" tires, then go with 35" tires. Otherwise you'll be the one getting the tow strap all the time.

If you just drive it on road, but you want it to look like an aggressive off road vehicle, then get 35" swampers and put a Gobi rack on the roof with a second spare. :wink: :mock:

Can007

Well am currently running 20' 35 x 12.50, am thinking on going back to stock rims on 33, but I want to be able to ride with u all...

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Your running a rancho lift so your angles on the tie rods and halfshafts are alot nicer then the typical torsion bar cranked H3. I think you can successfully run tough trails without breaking on 35s. It's all in how you wheel. If I never went out with the so cal group back in sept of 2010 I would of been looking for a solid axle conversion. the H3 IFS can withstand tough trails if you learn how to use the IFS. I didn't, I wheeled IFS like a solid axle. Foot down and throttle out. I am slowly learning how to use IFS. One trip out with the so cal guys you will learn sooo much! Btw I will be installing my lift in the driveway or friends shop and I will be using the stock rims. You are more then welcome to stop by and do comparisons with my 3 and yours for rim clearances and such, 16s are tough to clear so i can be the guinea pig. I think I have 2 other guys on here that want to stop by and check it out also. Install will be early january.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

SGT-Wright

With a Rancho lift I think you can not fit stock rims anymore. I think they have to be 17" or larger. I might be wrong, but I am sure someone else will verify this

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
a 16in rim will work. It requires a 4.5 backspacing. Reaper did it. I mentioned rims in this thread because can007 was thinking about downsizing the rim. 17 will work alot easier then a 16. I am going to use the stock rim with a 1.5in spacer. This can be done safely if you buy a quality spacer. If I was looking for new rims and tires I would probably go with a 17.

Cane007 I would talk to Portager (Mike) He wheels in so cal and went from 20in rim to a 16in rim and 33's and now a 16in rim to 35's he may have the best input with all the different tires he went through. It probably looks like a tire shop in his garage :)

Timgco

Hugh Hefner
Since you have the Rancho lift and plan to go offroad, you will need to find a wheel/ tire package that works with your setup.

If you like the larger wheel look you could just run 35's on your 20" wheels. 35 on 20" sidwall isn;t too different from those running the 31" tires offroad.
17 on 35's (for example) will offer more sidweall for offroading though.

The trick will be to find a wheel that clears those front calipers AND that upper A arm. You have to have 4.5" back space on whatever wheels you go with or have to run wheel spacers. Make sure you can test fit them before buying. not every 4.5" back space wheel works with the Rancho lift (upper A arm clerance on 35's).

33's will look too small with your lift imho.

good luck.

Can007

Whats up Chris... My engine is stock what about ur's IMAG0330.jpg

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Whats up Chris... My engine is stock what about ur's View attachment 2468

One thing you might want to do if you stay with 35s is to get a PCM tune. The computer is set up for 33s right now so if u tune it to 35s the driveability gets much better, you will probably stay in the right gear more often and have better mpgs with more power too

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
In regards to tire size programming isn't the only pcm change a speedometer correction? Heck, by not fixing the tire size you get "extra" miles under the warranty :)

Sent using Tapatalk