• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H3/H3T Fire Extinguisher Mounting Location

Portager

■ ☼▐▐▐▐▐▐▐ ☼■
I’ve decided to get the H3r Performance MaxOut fire extinguisher and a Scott Drake quick release mount, but I need to decide where to put it. The ideal would be within easy reach of the driver’s seat so I don’t have to run around and open another door or realize I locked the SlantBack and left the keys in the ignition. Does anybody have any good ideas where to mount a fire extinguisher? I’d rather have the 2.5 lb but I settle for a 1 lb if it could be mounted close to the driver’s seat.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
The driver side seat mount. It can be tucked away so it doesn't bother you but its quick to grab in case of an emergency.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
In my H3 I have two 2.5 lbs H3rs attached to the roll cage, which is not something you have. In my competition TJ I had it right under the passenger's legs, on the floor. It was a big 10 liter version.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

Portager

■ ☼▐▐▐▐▐▐▐ ☼■
The driver side seat mount. It can be tucked away so it doesn't bother you but its quick to grab in case of an emergency.

Do you mean in front of the drivers seat and mounted to the seat so it moves with it?

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
I didnt think of it mounting to the actual moving part of the seat but the bracket that holds the seat down...I will take a picture later to show you what I mean. If you can get it mounted to the seat part that moves that would be even cooler. I got the idea from Talusfan. When he sold his first H3 he sold me his weathertech mats and they had a cut out by the seat for the fire ext. mount he had.

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
I didnt think of it mounting to the actual moving part of the seat but the bracket that holds the seat down...I will take a picture later to show you what I mean. If you can get it mounted to the seat part that moves that would be even cooler. I got the idea from Talusfan. When he sold his first H3 he sold me his weathertech mats and they had a cut out by the seat for the fire ext. mount he had.

That's exactly how I had it in my TJ. :D Even my Husky Liners had been cut out.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

Portager

■ ☼▐▐▐▐▐▐▐ ☼■
I think the better solution would be to mount it to the seat so that it moves with the seat. Otherwise if you mounted it where it would allow full seat motion, for short people, it would be under the calves of tall people.

I looked at the front of the driver’s seat this morning and there is a bar across the front of the seat about 3/8" diameter and ~4" back from the front that I think I could mount to. However, it would be cantilevered so a clamp mount on that small diameter wouldn't handle the torsion load. I'd have to add a couple of bars that tie into something further aft to support the cantilevered load. The advantage of this arrangement if it works is the fire extinguisher would be right at the front of the seat regardless of seat location and I wouldn't need to cut up the floor mats.

Thanks for the inputs guys.

M22KLARS

Unsafe At Any Speed
That sounds like a great mounting location. I would love to see some pics as you mount this thing... I might have to put one there too...

Portager

■ ☼▐▐▐▐▐▐▐ ☼■
Will do. The challenge will be to allow full seat travel and not to compromise butt travel. If you know what I mean!

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
I have 2 tucked under the back seat, driver side. The fit nicely under there and out of the way and easy to get to.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9550 using Tapatalk

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
I carry 2 of the 2 lb extinguishers. They are perfectly sized to fit under the T's back seat and don't roll around if you leave the mount brackets on them. I carry those 2 and a steering rack under the back seat and everything fits so snug under there that nothing moves around and the extinguishers are easy to get to. I figure that if firemen have to get out of their trucks to get to their equipment, it really won't matter much if I have to get out of my truck to get to mine under the outside edge of the back seat (driver side).

Last edited:

Steve #1

4252122822_5c5c79faa9_z.jpg

JR3T

This location might bother some people, but I find it does not get in my way and moves nicely with the seat. Fast access too.

DSCN1690.jpg

IMG_6017.jpg

IMG_6015.jpg

IMG_6026.jpg

IMG_6028.jpg

Seat at highest position
IMG_6030.jpg

Seat at lowest position
IMG_6031.jpg

Used mount that came with extinguisher
IMG_6032.jpg

IMG_6035.jpg

IMG_6036.jpg

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
Excellent job on the bracket. My only concern is that it's on the drivers side. If it were ever to get loose, it could get stuck under the brake pedal. Not a good situation.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
With all this talk of fire extinguishers I wonder one thing...what kind should an offroader get? Maybe I will make a separate thread so I don't hijack. Hold on...gonna make one now :)

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

jmoffatt

Swamprat
This location might bother some people, but I find it does not get in my way and moves nicely with the seat. Fast access too.

DSCN1690.jpg

IMG_6017.jpg

IMG_6015.jpg

IMG_6026.jpg

IMG_6028.jpg

Seat at highest position
IMG_6030.jpg

Seat at lowest position
IMG_6031.jpg

Used mount that came with extinguisher
IMG_6032.jpg

IMG_6035.jpg

IMG_6036.jpg

Thats cool , how did you attach the angle iron to the bar?

JR3T

Thats cool , how did you attach the angle iron to the bar?

There is a tab on each side, right above the end of the bar. Just used two 10-32 screws/nuts on each side. Tabs already have a hole and an open slot on each side.