• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Torque Pro app on Android

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Way back in the old days of the forum (you know, September) LagunaH1 mentioned this app as an OBDII reader and I finally got around to trying it out. The app is only $5 and I bought a cheapo OBDII reader off of eBay even though the app maker recommended against it. $15, http://www.ebay.com/itm/ELM327-OBD2...=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item230fe16dd7

This thing is awesome! I can pull up trouble codes, HP readings, instant mpg, coolant temp, etc. There are several customizable screens where you can set up the gauges you want in a variety of styles. For $20 total spent so far I couldn't be happier. I'm going to test the GPS vs. sensor speed app to help see what my variance due to the larger than original tires.

Anyone else using it? Got any tips, suggestions, warnings?

Here's a stock image from Torque's website
400px-Torquehand.jpg

prc

Fly in the ointment
Been playing with it for a bit but haven't had the time to seriously experiment yet. Have used it on a Moto Droid3 as well as a el-cheapo tablet (Coby). I use a standard ELM327 bluetooth OBDII module.

Hunner

I will read more about it. I don't see the H3 listed in the cars list, but if it works it works.
Is there a y cable for ODB so I could run that and my Scan Gauge, split out of the onboard connection, just to compare.
technology just keeps getting better, now if my computer did not have a mind of it's own and keeps crashing shockwave while I'm on Google Chrome....

Last edited:

Portager

■ ☼▐▐▐▐▐▐▐ ☼■
Looks like my next gottahave! Thanks for posting!

I really like the BT interface.

I just need to get my new smartphone (cue the Jeapordy music ... da da da), a dash mount, the app, a BT OBDII reader, ... and I'll be good to go. O, can you use the BT OBDII reader while you using BT to talk on the phone? More research!

Hunner

Yeah but I was thinking I could run both if I could have double out from the port on the vehicle. May just swap to eliminate more cable. I thought it might have a pass thru.
Sounds great if I could also send it to my laptop I use in a ram mount by bluetooth adapter.

rsc

Here's a very poor photo of an Android tablet taking the place of the factory cluster...
mail.jpg
Awesome! I wish I had thought of running it like that, I'll have to give that a try. What model # is your tab?

prc

Fly in the ointment
I didn't leave it there, it was a borrowed tablet from a friend, and now i don't remember what it was! I was just experimenting with the concept before deciding to invest in a tablet. I was surprised to discover that most of the cheaper ones do not have bluetooth capability :(

Still have not decided if I can justify buying one...

rsc

Well, I tried my tab on the dash. Didn't fit the dash like yours did,oh well...maybe I just need a cheap 7" job for the readings.