• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Digital camera

nj3talpha

I need some help picking my new digital camera. GF broke it last week and need to buy a new one before my Christmas vacation. I am looking at a sony cybershot HX9V. Looking for any recommendation on a point and shoot with good zoom and high MP. Buget is $400<
thanks

Last edited:

M22KLARS

Unsafe At Any Speed
IMHO stay away from Sony. I've had nothing but bad luck with their cameras. Get a Cannon or a Nikon. IMO they are the two best brands out there. I have multiple Cannon's now and have never had any of the problems I had with my Sony's.

This Nikon is waterproof, shock proof and freeze proof.... Shoots 1080P video and 16MP. It's a bit more than the Sony you were looking at but I don't know if price is a big factor for you or not.

http://www.google.com/products/cata...ei=8k_dTtDqKoHMgQeDk93pDA&ved=0CLICEPMCMAc4Cg

Last edited:

Portager

■ ☼▐▐▐▐▐▐▐ ☼■
I recently purchased a Canon PowerShot SX230HS 12.1 MP Digital Camera with 14x optical zoom. I'm very please with the quality of the pictures and the 14x zoom in a compact camera. It also has optical image stabilization, which makes the zoom usable when shooting handheld, and it does geo-tagging. You can get one at Amazon under $200 :link:.

Scarsman

Sponsor
I got the Nikon S8100 last fall, and have been very happy with it. It is 12.1 megapixels, 10x optical zoom, and will do full HD video. If you check out the pics and vids in the Naches Pass thread in the stories from the trail section you can see what kind of work it can do.
Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk

Big2dabank

Nikon or Canon, but I prefer Nikon. We have a Nikon D5000 and an older Canon Powershot for a point and shoot. The newer Nikon 1 J1 looks to be a very nice compact unit with big camera features, but I have no experience with it.

Kurt

Canon or Nikon usually. Sony is.. eh... I dunno, the build quality on them isn't as good on the sony consumer stuff vs the commercial and pro gear.

Canon powershot 95 IS [or 100 if you can find it, its brand new]

It has a large sensor size
Fast lens f/2 28mm-105mm
Image stabilization

THe newer F100 has GPS built in as well I think but has a smaller sensor size, I'd have to look up the specs.

It would be good for motion and low light and it has nice video options.

If you need a big zoom in a point and shoot, then you can get

Canon XS 210 IS

That has a 28-400mm equivalent lens but slower as a result [f/3-/f5 or something around there]. It's probably one of the best optical zooms for a pocket camera. It's pretty cheap too.

Flash

A coworker just picked up a Nikon Coolpix 500. $349. 22mm-850mm zoom (36x). Vibration reduction. ISO up to 1600. And takes video. He has been quite happy with it. He did not want a DSLR. This has the advantage of Nikkor glass with out the risk of dust/dirt getting on the sensor due to lens changes.

http://www.staples.com/Nikon-Coolpix-P500-Digital-Camera-Black/product-nr_927544

My needs are a bit different but not everyone wants to lug around 20-50#'s of camera gear.

Last edited: