• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Fuel Capacity

Trekker

That Guy
I've tried to do a search on this topic, but so far my Google-Fu has failed me. The fuel tank capacity on my 2005 H2 is 32 gallons. If I fill up on an empty tank (low fuel warning light comes on) the most fuel I can pump in there is 22-23 gallons. I understand that "empty" doesn't necessarily mean empty; the tank should have some reserve capacity. Is this normal? On my 2007 H3 with a 23 gallon tank, I can pump in about 18 gallons when it is empty. I've tried to put more fuel in the H2 by backing off the nozzle but there is gas all the way up in the fuel filler neck, so the nozzle shuts off. My fuel gauge reports the tank as being full, but if I drive about 20 miles (2 gallons for the Deuce), the gauge backs off of the full mark pretty quickly.

M22KLARS

Unsafe At Any Speed
Sounds about right compared to my H3. If the fuel light is on and I fill it up I'm only getting like 18 - 19 in there.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
A common issue on the H3 is bent gas tank skids that push up into the plastic tank and reduce capacity. Could that be the issue on your H2?

[__--MUD--__]

I've gotten 25 gallons in my 04 at fillup a few times on trips. I do not like running the bottom end of the tank, all the **** settles to the bottom and your risking overheating (gas surrounding it in your tank cools it) your fuel pump turning it to junk.

I'm curious what some of these diesel conversions did to get dual tanks, 50-60 gallons total.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't remember for sure but I am almost certain I was able to put up to about 28 gallons in my 2005 H2 when it was empty.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
I would do what alrock said. Check your gas tank skid. I couldn't pass 15-16 gallons on fill up then I took off the skid straightened it out and now I can get 19 in there. You might wanna see that's the problem

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Zach

Mall Crawler
The most I've ever put in is 27 gallons and the low fuel light had just come on. I usually don't run it that low before fueling up.

twinmill28

Spilled Milk
Mine has done similar to me, not sure if the number was that low.
I've run it down one time after the fuel light came on, but watched the DIC telling me how many miles I had left. I ran it out to something like 30 miles to empty and then filled it up. I don't recommend doing that--the gas pump will not stop at what your used to and it gets scary how much a REAL fill up will cost!

Big2dabank

Most of the time I can only put about 23 to 25 gallons in the tank after the low fuel light comes on. One time I forgot my key for the fuel lock on the kitchen counter and I drove about 35 miles after the low fuel light came on to get to a gas station close enough to where my wife could bring me the keys. It was scary low and not recommended at all. I filled up and it only took a little over 28 gallons. Lesson learned I keep a spare fuel lock key in the duece at all times.

My guess is that the tank may actually hold 32 gallons, but with the pump, baffles (if any), air trapped inside, etc.. so you'll never actually get 32 galons of fuel in it. And like Alex said, mine has a big dent across the entire bottom from wheelin so that probably doesn't help. My $0.02.

Portager

■ ☼▐▐▐▐▐▐▐ ☼■
I have a similar situation on my H3T. My tank is supposed to hold ~27 gallons, but even before the first dent in the skid plate it would only take 22 to 23 gallons if I filled up when the low fuel light came on. I attribute the difference to hidden reserve and ullage or fuel that the fuel pump can't reliable access. (i.e. depending where the fuel outlet is located on the tank you might have more range going downhill but you'll run out on the first uphill grade or vice versa.) In my days as a rocket scientist we referred to the fuel in the tank that you couldn't get out in flight as ullage.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
In the H3 it holds 23.2 gallons. When the low fuel light comes on it accepts about 19 gallons. I've put about 22.5 in when running it down a bit far.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Did 06 have the low fuel light? I have been pretty low but I have never seen it come on

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Mr_Rich

Since my 3T has a 28 gallon tank I have a lot of range. I've gone 350-375 miles on a tank and haven't seen this low fuel light. Generally, I always keep a full tank of gas and I refill at a half tank or less. Many years ago I lived in Santa Barbara in the path of the Painted Cave fire. Because of that I always want to be ready in case I have to bug out...

Kurt

[__--MUD--__];22085 said:
I've gotten 25 gallons in my 04 at fillup a few times on trips. I do not like running the bottom end of the tank, all the **** settles to the bottom and your risking overheating (gas surrounding it in your tank cools it) your fuel pump turning it to junk.

I'm curious what some of these diesel conversions did to get dual tanks, 50-60 gallons total.

Some of the Duramax conversions have a body lift, so you could remove the original tank and put a custom fabricated fuel cel in its place. As for dual tanks.. I'm not sure, maybe a bed tank on an SUT?