• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Shadow Green Metallic H3 Build Thread

Jayson DK

Hello All,

Proud to be a member of the forum here. I've always liked the look of an H3, and while I am in the middle of building a 2017 EcoRaptor, I decided this would make a great daily driver/winter vehicle until it's done.

I'm no newcomer to building modified vehicles. I think I can do something unique with this one, I love the Shadow Green Metallic & color matched interior. Here are some of my previous builds -

Lifted Avalanche LTZ:

80-15000618_10157753350605644_564823574875017200_o_08e61aec8ebb1ae244d484b4fe434b198e9e30c2.jpg

625rwhp CTS-V Coupe:

80-13680058_10157153208935644_3512417011722844288_o_f947b4a1726b46b89f8e475a7255f4beddb50e5c.jpg

A 573HP Supercharged STS-V:

462355_10151585027600644_2079305953_o.jpg

A 584HP BMW M6:

IMG_3525.jpg

My last salvage build was this custom turbo GT86 FR-S:

10547904_10154547479020644_2640611612877612240_o.jpg

10534177_10154580134180644_6325477464500114860_o.jpg

Just for ****s and giggles, my Sport Trac from way back in the day:

320909_10150871073610644_1552427147_n.jpg

Jayson DK

So here is the H3:

First thing I did when I got it, was clean and replace the sunroof drains, then have a new body control module programmed, new keys, fobs, and replaced the ignition housing.

After that, came the fun stuff:

Complete amsoil flush of all fluids, using seafoam and amsoil flush products including:
New Oil & Filter
Full Transmission Flush w/ filter & Gasket
Coolant Flush
Front Diff Flush
Rear Diff Flush
Transfer Case Flush
Fuel System Clean/Flush

After that, it was on to the suspension. We replaced:
Both Wheel Bearings
Both Upper Control Arms
Both Lower Ball Joints
Front brake pads and rotors w/ new hardware & ceramic pads (boy were they whooped)
Front Stabilizer Links
Front inner & outer tie rods

After that, we noticed a leak in one of the trans lines, so we replaced both.

http://s782.photobucket.com/user/g1323/media/h3/20161208_195544.jpg.html

Jayson DK

20161208_195544.jpg%7Eoriginal
[/URL]

Next comes the real fun stuff. Next updates will include:
Android 7" In Dash Quad Core Radio
Factory Speaker/Amp/Subwoofer Integration
Backup Camera
New Headlights w/ LED lighting
Custom Running Lights w/ LED Switch Back
New Fog Lights w/ LED Lighting
Custom Side Markers, smoked w/ LED lighting
Custom Fiber Optic Tail lights, tinted red
Tint windshield & front doors

After that, I will be:
Painting Grill Body Color
Front & Rear Bumpers Body Color
Accents in black
2 Way Remote Start

And after that:
3" leveling lift / shocks
1" Body Lift
35" Wheels / Tires

Mechanically, the truck is near perfect now. We have ran into one issue however. On the intake, there is a PCV dirty air hose that is not serviced separate from a new intake manifold. It is #2 in this picture:

image049.jpg

The dealer is telling me it cannot be serviced without buying a new intake manifold assembly for around $300. Any suggestions? Is this true?

Kyle

The pcv hose is easily serviced, your dealer is lying to you, it's a 4 inch rubber hose that could easily be changed out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ghostbuster

Awesome. I recommend the viper 2 way remote start kit. I've had mine for over a year and I've had no issues. I had Best Buy install it.

Best of luck with the build.[emoji482]

Last edited:

Jayson DK

The pcv hose is easily serviced, your dealer is lying to you, it's a 4 inch rubber hose that could easily be changed out.

Interesting. So do I have to take the intake manifold off to get to it?

JPaul

Just the big boxy silencer part before the throttle body, just to make it easier. It goes from the back top of the valve cover to a port under the silencer box. It's all a slip fit too I think, you might not even need to remove the silencer box.

Jayson DK

Hi guys. Been quite busy. I ended up doing and replacing nearly everything on the H3 to make it like new. I'm happy to report it now feels like a new truck! I like my vehicles flawless or near flawless, so here are some pictures and details.

Installed new Double Din Android Nav radio & onstar/amp retain harness & install kit
Replaced new intake w/ gaskets
Replaced new exhaust manifold & catalytic converter w/ gaskets
Replaced all PCV hoses
Replaced all bolts / bushings on suspension
Replaced oxygen sensors
Replaced all interior/exterior bulbs with LED
Replaced both kick panels and door sills
Replaced radio bezel, 4x4 switch, heater a/c controller
2.5" tortion key front lift
2" rear lift shackes
4x Bilstein 5100 shocks installed
Replaced ball joints
Replaced all 4 OEM bump stops with factory
Replaced both power steering lines
Replaced air filter
Replaced rear brake rotors and pads w/ premium ceramic
Replaced TPMS sensros & program
Replaced belt tensioner
Replaced vent valve motor
Replaced encoder motor
Replaced upper and lower steering shafts

4speedfunk

Love the green. Especially the green interior. Can't believe this color combo was cancelled so early in the production.

Jayson DK

I dont even know where to begin. It seems as if this truck is fighting me the whole way.

Replaced the MAF, Plugs, Wires, Air Filter, Bushings, and finally we start some fun stuff.

Originally I had planned on keeping the monsoon amp and repowering aftermarket speakers and a rockford sub. Well that sounds like ****, so thats out the window.

Replaced the head unit with a double din android unit (spotify & waze) and now installing Rockford Component 1675 2 ways and tweeters in the front doors and a pillars... rockford 1675S 3 ways in the back doors. Replacing the sub with a kicker compx 300w RMS shallow 8" woofer. Polyfill the stock box.

Powering the amps with the micro 600.4 and 600.1... dual 4ga wiring kit.

Installed a backup camera. Ran the GPS antenna to the front of dash... ran the microphone to the factory onstar microphone location in the headliner.

This weekend I was busy in my garage. Did the following modifications:

Pulled front clip off to replaced head lights and fog lights. Clear side markers and clear turn signals with switchbacks. HID headlights HID fog lights.

Painted front lower bumper, rear bumper, and ground effects gloss black. hate the stupid textured silver.

Plasidipped the grille chrome... then ordered factory match Shadow Green (boy is this an impossible color to find) and painted and cleared over the plastidip. came out pretty spectacular.

Bought a new hood grille.... also painted gloss black.

Replaced the heater a/c controls, radio bezel, 4x4 switches and drivers window switch with units that actually light up at night. Have to tackle the remote start and finish out the audio install.

Stay tuned, I have quite an awesome surprise for this week.

I dont even know where to begin. It seems as if this truck is fighting me the whole way.

Replaced the MAF, Plugs, Wires, Air Filter, Bushings, and finally we start some fun stuff.

Originally I had planned on keeping the monsoon amp and repowering aftermarket speakers and a rockford sub. Well that sounds like ****, so thats out the window.

Replaced the head unit with a double din android unit (spotify & waze) and now installing Rockford Component 1675 2 ways and tweeters in the front doors and a pillars... rockford 1675S 3 ways in the back doors. Replacing the sub with a kicker compx 300w RMS shallow 8" woofer. Polyfill the stock box.

Powering the amps with the micro 600.4 and 600.1... dual 4ga wiring kit.

Installed a backup camera. Ran the GPS antenna to the front of dash... ran the microphone to the factory onstar microphone location in the headliner.

This weekend I was busy in my garage. Did the following modifications:

Pulled front clip off to replaced head lights and fog lights. Clear side markers and clear turn signals with switchbacks. HID headlights HID fog lights.

Painted front lower bumper, rear bumper, and ground effects gloss black. hate the stupid textured silver.

Plasidipped the grille chrome... then ordered factory match Shadow Green (boy is this an impossible color to find) and painted and cleared over the plastidip. came out pretty spectacular.

Bought a new hood grille.... also painted gloss black.

Replaced the heater a/c controls, radio bezel, 4x4 switches and drivers window switch with units that actually light up at night. Have to tackle the remote start and finish out the audio install.

Stay tuned, I have quite an awesome surprise for this week.

Jayson DK

More updates -

Somehow forgot the only lights that needed to be replaced - the fog lights. Those will be here tomorrow.

Replacing headlights, clear corners, clear turn signals, fog lights, etc. Switchback LED for turn signals, LED head lights and fog lights. LED side markers.

Changed out Radio faceplate with one that diddnt have a scuff... 4x4 switch that had LEDs, Heater a/c controls that all lit properly, drivers master switch that lights up and functions properly.

Got dual 4ga amp wiring kit for 2 amps - Rockford Punch 300w RMSx1 @ 1 Ohm and 300w RMS4x @ 4 ohm for front components and rear 3 ways. Remote bass boost control.

Swapped out sub for a kicker compx 8" shallow mount @ 300w RMS in factory box.

Wipe new all the plastic trim.

And... the wheels. brand new 20x8.5" Black & Machined Rockstar Wheels and BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KO2 35x12.5x20 tires.

Jayson DK

Front end back together, new headlights, new clear turn signals, new clear side markers, new fogs.

LED headlights, LED fog lights. LED switchback turn signals, LED side markers. This might be the brightest light setup ive ever had.

Painted grille, new painted hood grille.

imgur

JPaul

How's the glare with the LED's in the headlights? For oncoming traffic that is, I know with HID's it throws the beam pattern off completely and will blind other drivers, wondering if the LED's do the same.

woodwardsh3

You do know that you can replace the bulbs in the ac /heat controls, very easy and the door switches can also replace the bulbs. 4x4 controls must soldier them bulbs in but you can do it. dont threw the old ones out.
Nice rig

Jayson DK

Thats it, I'm convinced, im ordering some LED bulbs for the fogs and headlights!

Well worth it. crazy light output.

How's the glare with the LED's in the headlights? For oncoming traffic that is, I know with HID's it throws the beam pattern off completely and will blind other drivers, wondering if the LED's do the same.

Glare with the LEDs in the headlights with bulb protectors is non-existent. Fogs will blind incoming drivers, so I dont use them in the city.

You do know that you can replace the bulbs in the ac /heat controls, very easy and the door switches can also replace the bulbs. 4x4 controls must soldier them bulbs in but you can do it. dont threw the old ones out.
Nice rig

Yes sir, this is what I did. I just used bulbs from the other 2 Heater A/C controls to make one good one. The other HAC controls will be for sale, as will the factory headlights.

Don't blind people bro...

See above comment.