• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

3.7l heads

john7982

Has anyone ported and polished the heads on a 3.7 or 3.5? If so was it worth the money

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

GreatDaneHummer

Interesting idea, never thought about it. I think most just swap the engine to get more power. Not sure how much a 3.7 can be ported too?

john7982

Me either but ran in to a guy that had a Colorado said he had 400 to the wheels no forced induction

GreatDaneHummer

The best I could see is maybe enlarging it to a 4.0L or something and having new pistons/rods etc but even then maybe 300hp not 400... $10k later on a 100k block compared to $10k installed 6.0l with 480 hp and a new warranty crate engine... I would go with the 6.0

GreatDaneHummer

Ok did some more research into porting and polishing and I made a few phone calls to local performance shops. I am pretty off on my comments. CFM performance will port and polish your heads for $450 on the I5 3.7L which results in 23-29 HP after correct fuel pressure tuning. In some instances he has needed to change out the injectors depending on what kind of pressure results show up after increasing by just computer alone. I am glad you brought up this idea and I am going to go ahead and send mine out next month to get done. If I can get this 3.7 close to 300 hp after everything all motor then I would be very happy.

rsc

I have heard all the negativity about porting and polishing the head on the I5. I don't believe its a bad thing, have you ever seen the exhaust manifold after it's removed? There is a lot of overlap between the head ports and the manifold. Plenty of good area to grind smooth, at least on the manifold side. It is interesting to note that those guys want to up the injector pressure though.

JPaul

If you port heads drastically enough, you could end up running lean. How much though is debatable, as is whether or not the computer would not be able to compensate for it. I think most of the time you're not going to remove enough material to need to mess with tuning. Especially since if you're porting that drastically you could end up wrecking the airflow, there is such a thing as porting too much.

4speedfunk

Next time some net-rodder starts spewing b.s. dyno improvements...ask to see the before & after print-outs. Any boost in power is more likely due to the injector swap/pressure boost than any sort of porting.
Also it's "head" not "heads".

john7982

I understand it takes more than a port and polish to get that kind of power. I am not sure of what all he had done to get the supposed 400 hp. I was just inquiring if anyone had done any p&p and what the outcome come was looking for ways to boost power without spending 10 grand or more

CaseyS

Keep in mind most of those gains will be at 5000 rpm and above. You will either have to modify your shift maps to take advantage of it or drive it like its stolen to keep it in that band.

Its area under the curve, not peak power that's gonna get you there faster.