• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Ls3 swap or turbo

Hercules-H3T

So it's taken me awhile to save up some money and now I'm wondering wouldn't it be cheaper and easier to turbo my 3.7l instead of an entire engine swap.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

4speedfunk

No question....swap it out.
I would never slap an adder on a stock motor....especially the 3.5/3.7. The GM 5-cyl is a ticking time bomb in stock form...I don't see the point of rushing the inevitable. Don't put lipstick on a pig.

5gn-h3t

Sorry if my first post wasn't helpful. Lol.
My belief is that any power adder will shorten the life of the I5 dramatically but there are a few forum members running forced induction on I5's with good luck.
A V8 swap can be left dead nuts stock, make much more horsepower than the I5, and be as reliable as any normal car/truck.

I purchased a supercharger for my 10,000 mile truck and had no worries about installing it. Unfortunately, I never got around to it and that truck is now gone. I currently have a 188,000 mile truck (that's already had the engine replaced once) and a 6.0/6l90e kind of followed me home the other day. I'm hoping to install it in my H3.

I think a forced induction kit will be cheaper and easier in the short run but the V8 swap will be a one and done kind of deal with nothing to worry about once complete.

CaseyS

Engine swaps are never fully complete. And there are always little things to worry about.

Don't expect to do an engine swap in a week IR two even if you think you have done all your homework. There is always something to chase down or figure out.

GreatDaneHummer

Unless you have an experienced pro install it paying out the ass for his expertise.

Engine swaps are never fully complete. And there are always little things to worry about.

Don't expect to do an engine swap in a week IR two even if you think you have done all your homework. There is always something to chase down or figure out.

4speedfunk

Casey...I got a line on a high mileage 06 with a 5-speed manual, for cheap. I also got a 4.56 geared SAS kit sitting here on my floor. I also got some 35" KM2s sitting here.
Hmmmm....might be needing some of those motor mounts.

CaseyS

Casey...I got a line on a high mileage 06 with a 5-speed manual, for cheap. I also got a 4.56 geared SAS kit sitting here on my floor. I also got some 35" KM2s sitting here.
Hmmmm....might be needing some of those motor mounts.

Ooooo super thread hijack. I'm in with you when you take the dive. 4.56s will need at least 40s so plan accordingly.