• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Local sightseeing

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
One thing I have learned since I have started wheeling is the appreciation for sightseeing and views. There are so many opportunities people miss out on because they are not capable of getting to these places. Today though, was a nice spot for people who dont have the capabilities to still get back into nature and enjoy the beautiful views we have in this country. I went to a 10,000 acre private owned and gated ranch (Nice and peaceful! no trespassers) in tehachapi, Ca. There was about 20 of us from my philosophy class, my professor feels that people dont get out of the city life enough and had planned on doing something, a student offered their aunt and uncles property for a relaxing day. It was beautiful and was great to get away. We got to shoot guns, go hiking, hang out and enjoying an open field with wild horses. The dirt roads were not difficult at all, I stayed 4Hi unlocked and in drive the whole time but almost had to pull out the tow strap for a little PT cruiser getting stuck in some mud, lol. Overall it was a great day and was cool to see people that normally dont get to see nature's beauty enjoy it to the fullest.

They all loved the Hummer and saw how much I love the outdoors and I think the 2WD vehicles were appreciative that I was there if they got into a bad situation. lol

2011-11-12_16-35-37_218.jpg

2011-11-12_16-28-17_475.jpg

2011-11-12_16-08-21_524.jpg

Even though they are wild and aren't fed from the owners daily, they are on property and have gotten used to humans, most wouldn't eat from your hand but some did.

2011-11-12_16-00-18_441.jpg

2011-11-12_12-13-10_529.jpg

2011-11-12_15-58-26_534.jpg

I also ended up finding an old jeep just laying around. I asked my friend about it and he said they haven't had the thing running in years. I have never realized how little these old jeeps are until you get up close to them.

2011-11-12_15-12-25_157.jpg

We left right after dark and while we were in an open field I thought it was time to document how the Piaa's perform. I have 3 pictures, the first one with no headlights or off road lights on(there was some background light from another car), then headlights and fog lights and the 3rd is the headlights, fog lights and Piaa 520SMR's

I personally thought they did well! I love these lights and recommend them.

2011-11-12_17-19-41_652.jpg

2011-11-12_17-19-46_964.jpg

2011-11-12_17-19-59_47.jpg

All in all it was a great day and had many laughs, especially seeing some of the people who never shot a gun have a 12 gauge kick back into their shoulder.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
thanks guys!

Mike, that jeep needed alot of TLC. I would of gladly taken it home and given it to a friend who wants a 4x4 and I would get alot of practice fab on that rig. Let me tell you though, talk about safety hazards! The gas tanks are right under the driver seat. its crazy.

I really want to go back in the snow, His aunt and uncle told me that they would a few feet sometimes. I would love to go on the dirt roads then

Hummjay-The horses were beautiful. There were about 80-100 of them. All wild except a few that were abandoned. His aunt and uncle took them to their property and they are now free and live on the 10k acres. It is cool to see them interact with each other. Especially when some of the alpha horses would go at it. They dont feed them unless guests are there otherwise they fend for themselves, most wont eat from your hand but some will. I am assuming the few that did were the abandoned ones that probably dealt with humans all the time.

Portager

■ ☼▐▐▐▐▐▐▐ ☼■
thanks guys!

Mike, that jeep needed a lot of TLC. Let me tell you though, talk about safety hazards! The gas tanks are right under the driver seat. its crazy.

That is the problem with most old vehicles. They were built to old safety standards. I used to have a 1967 VW microbus deluxe with a rag top sunroof and opera windows. It was very cool and the only vehicle I owned with portal axels. I put 150,000 miles on it and then sold it for a $400 profit, but safety was substandard when it was new.

I would convert it to diesel and then the fuel tank location wouldn’t matter. I’d use it off road only and then you wouldn’t need air bags, antilock brakes, ...