• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Well have my first off road related damage! lol

Kyle

Was out wheeling with some friends and bottomed out and dented my exhaust pipe just after the Cat, now i have a weird ticking noise, sounds like an exhaust leak but i cant find one! im hoping once i get the dent out it goes away!

owlxxx

I've had the exhaust manifold leak for years, I'm used to it. did you pinpoint the source of the ticking sound?

Kyle

I've had the exhaust manifold leak for years, I'm used to it. did you pinpoint the source of the ticking sound?

nope, im hoping its just the dent causing it, im going to pop it out and see if the sound goes away, if not ill live with it lol next weekend im going to build all custom skid plates for it, its pretty exposed under this thing.

SuperBuickGuy

it's pretty common to get an exhaust leak where the manifold attaches to the head when you hit the bottom of the pipe (think of where the force goes)... I'm a huge believer in Percy's exhaust gaskets for that very reason... I swear on our race cars, we use the exhaust as the de-facto skid plate . if you do pull it out, heat it to red with a torch first... trust me on this.

Kyle

i got under there and check the manifold connections with the cats and they seemed find and couldnt feel any air. im going to pull the dent out see if anything happens, if not its off the the exhaust shop

Zach

Mall Crawler
That is not your exhaust leak. How do you plan on pulling it out? The exhaust pipes are pretty solid. Tried beating my cat pipe to clear the rubberduck. Never succeeded with that

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Kyle,

Please don't take this in the wrong way.
If that is your "first" off-road damage, you need to try some slightly harder trails.
I can get that level of damage in a parking lot.
Unless it's leaking fluid, there's no real problem.
:giggle:

I usually dont stick up for Kyle but I will in this instance. I do agree with you on the fact that I doubt his issue is from that little dent. We all start somewhere though and he's in a bone stock avalanche. After dirt roads theres probably not much he can do unless he starts tearing off bumpers. Once he lifts it, skid plates it and takes off the street tires I am sure he will do some tougher stuff. Any one of us can say anything about any member on this forum or any 4x4 forum for that matter when it comes to the level of difficulty or damage we do the our trucks. I can say the same thing that was said to him about 99% of the owners on here. I push my truck much harder then the stuff I normally see but everyone has different intentions.

Kyle

Kyle,

Please don't take this in the wrong way.
If that is your "first" off-road damage, you need to try some slightly harder trails.
I can get that level of damage in a parking lot.
Unless it's leaking fluid, there's no real problem.
:giggle:

i consider any damage that occurs off roading on trails, to be "off road damage" wether its denting your exhuast, scratching your door, or blowing your front diff, if it occurs while off road. its off road damage in my mind.

Kyle

That is not your exhaust leak. How do you plan on pulling it out? The exhaust pipes are pretty solid. Tried beating my cat pipe to clear the rubberduck. Never succeeded with that

idk yet, i need my crayons to write down some ideas! lol im going to check the connection to the exhuast manifold for leaks like superbuickguy mentioned to do. but for now its not a huge issue its not a bad leak or anything, so its fine for awhile.

Zach

Mall Crawler
idk yet, i need my crayons to write down some ideas! lol im going to check the connection to the exhuast manifold for leaks like superbuickguy mentioned to do. but for now its not a huge issue its not a bad leak or anything, so its fine for awhile.

Exhaust manifold is the common point. Although you have maybe knocked some of the hangers off. Did that before, almost had exhaust on the ground at one time.

derian06

Red Rockett
Kyle... I wasn't meaning to dump on you... just poking fun...
I have the UCP to scratch up.
I don't like to break stuff so I am careful; unless I am being dumb!
Going out this week to play over on the Continental Divide - Trails over by Fairplay/Alma.

It sounded like you said "If you're not breaking your rig it's not hard enough!" Haha

SuperBuickGuy

I found this out with my Alpha - 5.3s are notorious for breaking exhaust studs.... fortunately, mine came out pretty easily - mig welded a nut to the broken end, let it set for 5s, then it just rotated out; but still, it was not happy days chez SBG