• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H3 Weird Ticking Noise 3.7L I-5

EndeavoredH3

Motor has 160,000 miles on it and ticking has become more pronounced in recent months. I changed the oil a little early to see if it was dirty but alas the tick still remains after adding 10w-30 Castrol full synthetic oil. This ticking only occurs when the engine is warm. During cold starts the engine sounds fine. No performance issues or engine operation problems have occurred, only the noise.

I don't know if this is a noise I should be concerned of or not. Sounds like a noisy lifter but I am not sure, definitely on top of the engine and not related to the common exhaust manifold bolts breaking and rattling around.

Heres the video:
https://youtu.be/5t96mk9lcU8
The sound is more pronounced in the second section of the video

Happy Hummer

I've found a quart of marvel mystery oil works wonders added to my oil. I also have used a quart of Dex iii added to the oil. It cleans things up in a jiffy. Usually 500 miles or less does it.

ludevick

Mine was doing the same thing albeit a 3.5. Changed the oil added cleaner stuff and cleaned the camshaft actuator solenoid. Sounds a hell of a lot better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EndeavoredH3

Sorry for the late update, I had to make a trip to the land of the pharaoh over the past week.

I removed the VVT solenoid (Cam actuator) and cleaned it off with some maf cleaner. Upon removing it I inspected the screens and passages and found them to be in pristine condition. This solenoid has never been replaced to my knowledge. The only thing I saw that was worrisome was a skinny metal flake about a quarter inch long lodged into one of the passages in the solenoid. However despite cleaning out the sensor the truck still makes the noise. And also I just completed the oil change, so ill wait until around 3,000 miles to throw in some sea foam in the crankcase and intake. I suspect it to be a noisy/sticky lifter by doing some more research on here and talking to some buddies I know.

I will update whenever I get to 3,000 miles (I live in flagstaff at the moment so it takes a while to accrue any mileage):giggle: