• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H3 Weird sound problem that flattens the battery

rjmx

I have a 2006 H3 with the Monsoon speaker system and the super-duper radio that comes with it. I have had a lot of trouble with the sunroof leaking water, and finally got my mechanic to seal it up (never used it much anyway and the drive had stripped a gear).
Its last destructive effort, though, created a weird problem: with the engine off, I get very loud crackling noises from the front right and left rear speakers. Very loud. So loud, in fact, that if I don’t drive the truck for a couple of days, the battery goes flat. That loud.
It stops once I start the engine. I can even play radio and stuff, and it sounds fine through all four speakers. Then, once I turn the engine off and remove the key, off it goes again.
If I pull the amplifier fuse (#38), the battery doesn’t go flat, so I know that the noise is the cause. Of course, I can’t play music either, and that’s a bummer.
Any suggestions on how to fix it?
Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2010H3TAlpha

I'd say pull the radio and the amp and get out a multimeter. Start testing resistance for each wire to see if you're getting a short somewhere. It could also be in your door since most amps use a common negative for all speakers, so one short might affect all speakers (or a common negative for the fronts, etc.).

Having said that, I have had issues with the stereo playing weird noises if my battery isn't doing so well or I quickly turn to "on" and back off multiple times. Seems more like a quirk of these vehicles, but nothing as bad as what you are describing, so I'd definitely investigate potential shorts first.

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
Resistance check is an idea; however, they are all dedicated ground between amp and speakers....(disregard the dream of dual subs)
voWrTMQ.jpg