• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Ughh

Expendable

IMG_20130911_140141_331_zps99e2b45f.jpg

The joys of owning a Hummer. at least I left Pismo early enough that I wasn't late for work because I was waiting for the tow truck. Though I kinda was expecting a text from Chris or Kyle since the tow truck driver took the 126 east from the 101. Passed by Santa Clarita on the way to dropping her off at my house.

anyone wanna guess why the 130+ mile tow from Gaviota or should I just tell ya?

Expendable

Alrighty

Yup :sigh:, but she is still powered by herself so I'm hoping it's not too bad.

What happened?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! :(

Vampire* struck me two and a half weeks ago while I was driving my truck up to my parents in Pismo. I added ~two gallons of trans fluid in a matter of ~60 miles while I limped her from Gaviota to my parent's place. we were stopping about every 10 miles to add fluid, and it only got worse the more I drove her. I had to get back to work Monday night and we only had enough time over the weekend to diagnose it was the vampire. Early Monday morning I took the train to LA. and then I took the train last friday back up. in that time my dad bypassed the Transfer Case for me to prevent the Vampire from happening again. I checked the air filter and there was no ATF on it though, I checked the vent line and it had melted in a few places sealing the vent line. The T-case wasn't able to breathe, so the excess fluid was being pushed out of the shifter seal. Well I bypassed the vent line to make the trip back down to LA and planned to replace all the vent lines since she is 18 years old. I then drained the excess fluid in the T-Case, afterwards my dad and I filled the trans up to the proper level. I drove her for about ten minutes on the freeway and came back, no leakage. So I thought I was good. Then I left this morning, and stopped at the Gaviota rest stop. I opened the hood to double check the trans fluid level, when I opened the hood, smoke started coming out from behind the engine. I then checked under the truck and there was white smoke coming away from the transfer case. Talk about an oh shish kabob moment. There was also a puddle underneath the T-case about 3"x5" underneath the T-Case. This was at about 1230. called AAA. got her towed to my place, and going to work on her at my place to get her back on the road.

* Vampire - common enough problem with H1s. The transmission pumps fluid into a cooling loop that is in the T-Case. the fluids do not touch either, but if the cooling loop fails the transmission is pumping fluid into the T-Case and causing it to run low on fluid.

for more info please refer to hummer knowledge base link provided below. note: I do not own pics, and they from the page I am linking below
http://www.hummerknowledgebase.com/rungear/vamp.html

vamp1.jpg

vamp2.jpg

SuperBuickGuy

Just about any vehicle that uses a transfer case can have that happen.... granted, most times it's just the seal that blows (don't blow your seals, they don't like it... sorry, pun had to happen).

Zach

Mall Crawler
Been there done that.
7ymu4eqa.jpg

It's a bitch! All I have to say is thank god for AAA! This was the time I took out the ring gear. Tow truck driver asked if he could take a pic. Biggest truck he had ever had on it. Lol, saw him in Big bear again, not for me but picking up Sircode. And if course he took pics

Ron B

Sorry man. I have always feared that one...considered doing a bypass but have just left it alone for now -- since I'm never home anyways :-( . Curious if you saw anything in your aircleaner/geared hubs? I know it can wreak havoc if left unattended.

rb

Expendable

Sorry man. I have always feared that one...considered doing a bypass but have just left it alone for now -- since I'm never home anyways :-( . Curious if you saw anything in your aircleaner/geared hubs? I know it can wreak havoc if left unattended.

rb

I checked the air cleaner before I bypassed the transfer case vent line, there was no fluid. I plan to check the geared hubs soon when I drain the fluid and replace with Lucas hub oil.