• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Socal Event - Hungry Valley - 4/21/2012

Sierra H3

Here are a few photos of a fun local trip out at the Hungry Valley SVRA. Just three trucks enjoying perfect Socal day: cbetts, Kurt, and Sierra H3:

GormanCAOFFROADTRIP21.jpg

GormanOffRoad8.jpg

GormanOffRoad9.jpg

GormanOffRoad21.jpg

GormanOffRoad26.jpg

GormanOffRoad28.jpg

GormanOffRoad61.jpg

GormanCAOFFROADTRIP49.jpg

GormanCAOFFROADTRIP44.jpg

GormanCAOFFROADTRIP29.jpg

GormanOffRoad50.jpg

GormanOffRoad36.jpg

GormanCAOFFROADTRIP109.jpg

GormanCAOFFROADTRIP107.jpg

GormanCAOFFROADTRIP98.jpg

GormanCAOFFROADTRIP64.jpg

GormanCAOFFROADTRIP72.jpg

GormanCAOFFROADTRIP87.jpg

GormanCAOFFROADTRIP114.jpg

GormanCAOFFROADTRIP123.jpg

GormanCAOFFROADTRIP134.jpg

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
Great pics! Thanks for posting - looks like a fun area/trail!

Last edited:

cbetts

NERD!!!
Beat me to it!

What great day even though we had a small turnout. We started the day with some basic hill climbing techniques.

(click images to view larger version)

I let Sierra H3 have go in my truck with the stick shift. I enjoyed watch my own truck in action for once!

There were some new obstacles to play on. The loop of sewer pipes by the stair climb were fun. I required so assistance with a tow strap towards the end.

More new stuff on the other side of the hill. A bit too much for my truck.

We had a night to eat and then went to find some trails. First, a run up Sterling Canyon and then some playtime on some steep hills.

We took the usual run east through the park my taking Vics Cat. Kurt needed to leave early so we took West Freeman trail south. Sierra H3 and I split off and took Homestead Trail. This is where I slipped off due to driving on mud with AT tires. A portion of the road had eroded away making for a tight squeeze. We made our way down to a campground for a quick break and went back up Lower Freeman trail. At the start of Flat Fanny was a fun hill for Mrs. Sierra H3 to go play.

We took Flat Fanny over to East Freeman up to Quail Canyon. There are a few fun spots here. Unfortunately, this is when my camera ran out of juice. Once we reached Pronghorn Trail, we went south. The most fun challenge on the trail is Mystic Canyon. It is a steep hill with a sharp turn at the top.

You can find all my pictures here: :link:

cbetts

NERD!!!
Looks like awesome weather! Those are some really good pictures.

The weather was awesome. Got up to 90 but the humidity was down in the mid twenties to thirties. It typically gets windy in the afternoon there but things stayed nice all day. The icing on the cake was coming home to fog which brought the temp down to 58 at my place. :)

Kurt

I went back on Sunday to help a few friends shoot a zombie video, ran a few trails out there, and went through the mud and water pits a few times.

The vacuum pump pulley didn't like that. It seized just before coming back down the grapevine on I5, pulled it over, cut off what was left of the fan belt that was wrapped around the fan clutch, put a new belt on so I could get to a safe exit and pulled over at the big rig brake check on top fo the hill. With the seized pulley the new belt was starting to wear through already.

Got a wrecker to flatbed my truck to Tustin, and made it home at 3am, good times.

Good news is there isn't any other issues, the pulley broke, so next time I'll make sure I'll clean the mud off the engine before heading back on the highway

:)

I'll post some pictures and video in a bit.

Medic_Morgan

Next time you guys head out there I would love to join!!! I'm new to H4O and live in Fresno so the drive down is only about 2hrs for me. I'm new to wheeling the H3 and would love to learn proper techniques from you guys!!!

WarMongur

Next time you guys head out there I would love to join!!! I'm new to H4O and live in Fresno so the drive down is only about 2hrs for me. I'm new to wheeling the H3 and would love to learn proper techniques from you guys!!!

You might enjoy the Bishop trip that is coming up in a few months. Search for the thread, its already posted.

cbetts

NERD!!!

Welcome to H4O! It is always good to meet new people here!

Keep an eye out for future trips. There are several places that are north of LA that we like to run. As mentioned by WarMongur, Bishop is a fun run. I recommend removing steps if you have any before arriving. You should be fine with a base model H3 running stock tires but you will have some frame scraping.

Also, drop a new thread in the "Fresh Meat" section and introduce yourself. We really like pictures so make sure you post of few of your truck as well.

Medic_Morgan

Thanks for all the well wishes guys! I've been following the upcoming meets and kinda laughed a little w/ the Bishop trip. If you Google Map the Bishop trip and look SW, follow the 168 it leads right thru the Sierra's to Clovis(where I live). I wonder if my lil "3" can make the "shortcut" lol. As far as removing the Nerf Bars for the trip I was lucky enough not to have any on my Base Model ;) Current Mods I've done include: T-Bar to 23.5", 315/75-16 BFG AT's, rattle canned rims to black(easier to fix scratches) and a Custom Roof Rack. I'm hoping to figure out some good lighting options for the rack(any input is encouraged), Intake/Exhaust, possibly a PCM Tune and DEF a CB so I can talk w/ all you guys on the trail :) Hope to see you at a meet sometime soon. I'm gonna keep researching H3 mods while sitting in the front of this lovely ambulance. I'll post pic's soon.