• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

North GA. Trail ride with issues

JoshuaL

NEVERENDING ADDICTION
Ok guys me and lchase meet up last Sunday for a run in the north ga. Mountains. By the way he has a killer truck. Back to the trip. Lchase and I got going on the trail early that day and everything was going great. Then we started talking about tie rods (I forgot to knock on wood). The next obstacle is when it happened. I started up and bounced of a rock one time and the rod bent like a S. Long story short. Thank god I live in a small town and every one knows every one. I made a couple of calls and got in touch with my fab guy and he bent the tie rod back enough to get me out of the trail and back home. Thanks again to lchase for driving me around town to get that tie rod fixed. O by the way the steering rack is leaking like crazy now. Time to start spending money.

Ps. Just wanted to joined the ever growing club of tie rods
tie rod 1.jpgtie rod 2.jpg

Last edited:

Humvee21

Ouch. Glad to hear you got it fixed enough to make it home. Your H3 has changed a lot since the last time I seen it. Looks good

Lchase

Yeah man, the trip started out so well, one minute we were heading into the deep ga woods and then Bam! stopped dead in our tracks.

heading in
View attachment 4398

the moment before impact, we had just finished picking a line to take.
2012-04-29_09.39.11.jpg

Hunner

So I guess the Rancho that seems to keep the CV and tie rods close to OEM angles still does not prevent this.
It seems several people are now having the leaking issue which I really have not heard much about until lately.
That could still be caused by excessive movement of the rack in the pass side mounting, cranked torsions and larger tires, it adds up to the amount of stress on other components.
What condition is your bushing in on that end? If it has been bad for awhile that will contribute to the result.
I think all this coming up again shows people are wheeling more and more people are wheeling without solving the rack mount problem. It can only get worse without fixing it. People that have wheeled alot and have not had a failure is a mystery!
I only broke one rack before I figured out what the problem was at least with my H3, and made changes.
I have run a fix on the Alpha since the bushing got really loose around 10,000 miles.
I have not broken any OEM tie rods, but still replaced them with some BP tie rods I had made and designed for my H3.
I thought at the time by the number that were breaking, I would be next. I wheel slow most of the time.

M

MUTAINT

Is it me or do that bent tie rod look like the 14mm (silver) older style?

I would just pony up for a new steering rack (comes with the 16mm "black" tie rods also), reinforce the mount/mounts and continue on wheeling. :cheers:

Lchase

After watching how quick and easy the rods can bend I'll now be holding off on mods and start buying up spare parts, ol Blue handled the ruff area's on the trail real good with the little mods i've done so far so it'll be good as is for awhile.

I know one thing Josh, I'm glad we weren't talking about transmissions instead of tie rods. :bl9:

cbetts

NERD!!!
Been there, done that! I got stuck quite a distance away from civilization when I bent a tierod myself . . . at 2:00 AM! Fortunately, There are great people like LagunaH1 that are willing to come to the rescue. It was a good lesson about carrying spares.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
BP tie rods are a good fix for weak tie rods but how about a beefier rack? We need em...

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

JoshuaL

NEVERENDING ADDICTION
I did buy another rack and rods. And you are right They are 14mm. I bought the rack and rods from Thorparts which are the 16mm and now I have spares too. Can't wait to hit that trail again. Time for revenge.