• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

New transmission noise (Alpha/4L60)

2010H3TAlpha

I did quite a bit of off-roading this week and yesterday my truck developed a new noise. It is a clicking noise coming from the transmission that sounds like a card in bicycle spokes and changes speed depending on rpm. My first impression is it is a torque converter issue. I drove 90 miles home with it just fine, but it definitely sounds weird. No slippage and no other issues; just the sound. Never got a trans temp warning and trans fluid was normal. Anyone experienced something similar?

2010H3TAlpha

Dealer just called, they think the front planetary in the transmission is bad. Makes sense since it happened right after a very steep hill climb in 4lo in 2nd gear. Looks like it is time for me to decide between a built 4L60 or take the plunge for a 6L80.

I'd bet $3 your CV is bad on your front driveshaft. Easy fix.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

Noise is consistent with engine speed, not wheel speed so it is coming from the front half of the drivetrain, not after it. I sure wish it was just the front CV!

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
I know everyone wants to upgrade, but these transmissions tend to last over 100K. Yeah, another trans may last longer, but at what cost, both financially and in the pain in the *** to get there? For me, I'm not sure if the costs are worth the upgrade but you might see a better value in it.

The GM reman does come with a 5 year(?)/100K warranty if GM installs (double check those #s). I was looking at a used Alpha for a friend recently and one of the primary reasons it was passed on was the "DuPont reman" transmission. It was obviously a 3rd party remain, spray painted black with a dented trans pan. The rest of the H3 was flawless.

2010H3TAlpha

Yeah I am considering that option as well (GM reman is a 3 year/36k warranty, but I am skeptical of them honoring this with my 35s). I am pretty hard on my truck so having a little extra durability would be nice if the price is right. I got one quote today and getting two more tomorrow, so we shall see.

lowtrac

Dealer just called, they think the front planetary in the transmission is bad. Makes sense since it happened right after a very steep hill climb in 4lo in 2nd gear. Looks like it is time for me to decide between a built 4L60 or take the plunge for a 6L80.

Noise is consistent with engine speed, not wheel speed so it is coming from the front half of the drivetrain, not after it. I sure wish it was just the front CV!

He’s talking about the CV at the transfer case end of the front drive shaft. Not the axle shafts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ordieh

Yeah one of the quotes I've asked for will be close to 4L75 specs. However, it is not cheap (about the same cost as buying one directly from GMPP).
Only problem........the GMPP 4L75 isn't a direct replacement. You'll have to change the tailpiece, output shaft, valve body and pan. If you decide to go that route, keep us posted on costs/performance etc..
thanks

Ordieh

Only problem........the GMPP 4L75 isn't a direct replacement. You'll have to change the tailpiece, output shaft, valve body and pan. If you decide to go that route, keep us posted on costs/performance etc..
thanks
Also forgot to mention that the modifications void the warranty.

amrg

Yeah the 4l75e comes in 2wd only.
When I did my research, most I got was that the 4l75e is an upgraded 4l60e with parts that wont handle over 400 hp (unlike what GM rates it) and you can build a much stronger trans at a slightly lesser price with all the known part upgrades!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

2010H3TAlpha

Yeah both performance shops I've spoken with recommend custom builds that share some parts with the 4L75E, but have more stuff targeted for high torque 4x4 applications. 5 pinion planetary, upgraded sunshell, Corvette servo, upgraded clutch packs, etc. Then I'm also considering buying something like a Raptor 700-E and installing myself and then selling my 4L60E to someone who needs a core. My dealer is also offering a 4L60E reman at cost with my family labor discount, so I have a lot to consider. Tough decision!

Ordieh

Yeah both performance shops I've spoken with recommend custom builds that share some parts with the 4L75E, but have more stuff targeted for high torque 4x4 applications. 5 pinion planetary, upgraded sunshell, Corvette servo, upgraded clutch packs, etc. Then I'm also considering buying something like a Raptor 700-E and installing myself and then selling my 4L60E to someone who needs a core. My dealer is also offering a 4L60E reman at cost with my family labor discount, so I have a lot to consider. Tough decision!
I rebuilt using the DENALI sunshell and converter, 5 pinion planetaries, ZPAK , CORVETTE servo etc.. Really happy with it. Also, be sure to include a metal 1-2 accumulator. With the CORVETTE servo, the OEM plastic one will split in half. Good luck!

2010H3TAlpha

I rebuilt using the DENALI sunshell and converter, 5 pinion planetaries, ZPAK , CORVETTE servo etc.. Really happy with it. Also, be sure to include a metal 1-2 accumulator. With the CORVETTE servo, the OEM plastic one will split in half. Good luck!

Right on, thanks for the info!

Hunner

I spent around $2800 to have a friend that manages a tranny place do the work. I have about 98,000 on it going to the mall. We looked at all the options and upgraded several parts. It will bark the front tires at wot on the 1-2 shift. He thought that was cool for an all wheel drive. That is on my Alpha with just a few mods. I think it is mostly the front end lifting and the tires towing in. I can stop it by inflating the air bags another 10 pounds. I hope to get another 100,000 or more.