• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Mounting antenna suggestions

RamRod

View attachment 6317View attachment 6318 I used the side mount by firestick. It looks like a factory mount

I also copied the Firestick side mount idea from Cbetts. It emulates the stock antenna mount of the passengers side and looks like it belongs there. It is also low enough that I can pull into my garage with banging the top of the garage door.

IMG_0388.jpg

I wish I saw this option when I was looking different setups! This looks so clear, deff my favorite!

08H3

I appreciate everyone's input so far. Looked at the door and there's just really not enough room to do the swivel thing that originally prompted my question. So, I'm kind of down to 3 options. Thoughts on each? 1.) 5 foot Firestik II mounted on bumper (similar to MTU's setup). I think that's a nice look. 2.) 3 foot Firestik II mounted on the spare tire carrier like Alrock, or 3.) 2 foot Firestik II mounted on the back edge of the roof . 100% of the antenna would be above the roof level with this setup. Even though it would be a very short antenna, would expected performance be better than the other two for this reason only?

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
Remember that Firestix aren't flexible. You need to get the spring mount, otherwise it with snap the antenna or destroy the mount.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
I vote the spare tire mount. Its what I have with the spring. Its a clean look, cleanest outside of the front ARB style mount IMO.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

SolidusJ

I like your rig wish I could have found one local when I was shopping Hummers...

I see a PA tag on the back, where ya from originally ?

I was the frist owner of a H3T in ft carson 2009 with her. Originally I'm from Bronx, NYC but I finish up my high school years in Lansdale at north penn high then later join the army there.

08H3

Remember that Firestix aren't flexible. You need to get the spring mount, otherwise it with snap the antenna or destroy the mount.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

This is true, which is one of the reasons I considered the Wilson Flex. Anyone have any firsthand experience with it? I was relying on the stuff I read on the internet, which as we all know can be less than reliable.

Big Mike

This is true, which is one of the reasons I considered the Wilson Flex. Anyone have any firsthand experience with it? I was relying on the stuff I read on the internet, which as we all know can be less than reliable.

I have no experience with Flex but Wilson makes a great antenna and have for a long time....I can't see it being a bad antenna :thumbs:

JPaul

I just installed my CB antenna in the exact location (kudos for the idea). But I’m suffering from interference on every channel that breaks the squelch on all but the highest settings. Any lessons learned related to this?
Don't put the antenna right next to the electronic power brakes?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

woodwardsh3

As long as were talking cb antennas I have a fire stick with spring mount and mine is mounted to the rear bumper I drilled a hole threw the bumper and mounted it right to the steel bumper top an bottom is grounded to the bumper. But it will not let me diel it in with the meter. but if i unbolt it I can dial it in and it works I can here others talking Until i bolt it back on the bumper.Then the meter is off its setting and I get only static.
What am I missing.

JPaul

Either you're bolting it on in such a way that you're actually shorting the antenna leads, or it's becoming extremely detuned being right next to so much metal that is part of the ground. The rear bumper is not a really good place to be mounting it, you want it either mounted to the roof, hood, or even the tire carrier.

cbetts

NERD!!!
Don't put the antenna right next to the electronic power brakes?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Yep, mine behaved the same. I had to tuck the antenna line up high under the dash to get it away from the brake system. I could also hear the traction control relays.

Last year, I added another mount on my rack along with a quick-connect. Works much better having the antenna located above the roof.
yLbhQZipJV5IRxMQwWsp38CNf89NjeVFXgVy0V5uX2pUyPxNjFDLO_GaDAAivdMErAYf6iMe4mizY0bO84iSERMlao0R29J8QydwuFT-vhYS4N3GJDx-C7WrRecC1jCxtdzKu1tqELA2UZLjBakdCk-lnY16S4cylvkt9Pu9l0kD0HqmL67cpBO_APdAC5JqN-7uE8fBKLriOox_x4bmz4YKpAE_XQ-NnOv8-7SONBvsDwN5aC4fo0-DaPZJ7mXScswkyeH_cZIzIAfyltsSBZ_PvEMKN02_I9uREJfEuS3G3M7dn1YQLy5t978V8N33KTtgvI6E8ADV12lgzM5VLMw6ZvItabnxMNgOuM1aSNSnSvr_bWfl1TIxqrZBlGUo8nyKG2glg4Nn3VzTzQ_mJG46dum7qtr_05V_taa3Cav8UvMuGNSoSpMEcJusEjoDzNS6alO0jWYdGp-GRLuHxYHWbEz-BWmGeJ2PEG7legHAkutA-YX9_xeazfyJ3k9IErYvygm-f9ehVnYF0_1Rod0QKlsSsYcb4TqXyRTnmOZoNMuRY80-YZATjsdxYdtcrSpYavbtZPeBRDrqrI8DUyk12LsPQVq9TYdQ2X0TWv2B7ERdQAghpFf_WN65r352YiEOBsVesOMIXhiyzaYg0X6WpZrz01WYvQ=w1357-h764-no

MilamJR

Yep, mine behaved the same. I had to tuck the antenna line up high under the dash to get it away from the brake system. I could also hear the traction control relays.

Last year, I added another mount on my rack along with a quick-connect. Works much better having the antenna located above the roof.
yLbhQZipJV5IRxMQwWsp38CNf89NjeVFXgVy0V5uX2pUyPxNjFDLO_GaDAAivdMErAYf6iMe4mizY0bO84iSERMlao0R29J8QydwuFT-vhYS4N3GJDx-C7WrRecC1jCxtdzKu1tqELA2UZLjBakdCk-lnY16S4cylvkt9Pu9l0kD0HqmL67cpBO_APdAC5JqN-7uE8fBKLriOox_x4bmz4YKpAE_XQ-NnOv8-7SONBvsDwN5aC4fo0-DaPZJ7mXScswkyeH_cZIzIAfyltsSBZ_PvEMKN02_I9uREJfEuS3G3M7dn1YQLy5t978V8N33KTtgvI6E8ADV12lgzM5VLMw6ZvItabnxMNgOuM1aSNSnSvr_bWfl1TIxqrZBlGUo8nyKG2glg4Nn3VzTzQ_mJG46dum7qtr_05V_taa3Cav8UvMuGNSoSpMEcJusEjoDzNS6alO0jWYdGp-GRLuHxYHWbEz-BWmGeJ2PEG7legHAkutA-YX9_xeazfyJ3k9IErYvygm-f9ehVnYF0_1Rod0QKlsSsYcb4TqXyRTnmOZoNMuRY80-YZATjsdxYdtcrSpYavbtZPeBRDrqrI8DUyk12LsPQVq9TYdQ2X0TWv2B7ERdQAghpFf_WN65r352YiEOBsVesOMIXhiyzaYg0X6WpZrz01WYvQ=w1357-h764-no

This is what I use. I put the magnetic antenna mount on the roof and it works great. Just remove it when you are not using it.

Featuring the NEW Rugged Radios' RM-25R 25-Watt Dual Band Mobile Radio, this kit is the perfect setup for any base camp or chase vehicle operations!

This small radio is half the physical size of a traditional 50 watt radio making it easy to mount in the center console of your Jeep or other offroad vehicle.

The RM-25R radio is also extremely efficient when it comes to power consumption using the included 12 volt cigarette lighter power adapter.

Plus, we've integrated the 5-pin radio cable right into the back of the radio which means no additional radio jumper is required when connecting to an intercom or hanress.

In addition to our most popular radio, this kit includes a dual band 1/2 wave antenna to maximize performance as well as a coax cable with magnetic mount to easily mount your antenna to your vehicle. Reaching distances up to 12 miles, this kit will allow you to keep in touch with your entire team!

Kit includes:

RM-25R Mobile Radio
Dual Band Antenna
Coax Cable with 5" Magnetic Mount Base
U-bracket Mount
12 Volt Power Cable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk