• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Monsoon amp issues?

JPaul

Has anyone had their Monsoon amp partially fail? I replaced all my door speakers and tweeters earlier this year and thought I had fixed my sound issues, but now I've realized my driver front door speaker has zero sound and the passenger front door speaker barely has output, but everything else is working fine. Considering it was the front's that seemed to have failed originally, it seems a bit suspect that shortly after replacing them I am having problems with them again. It makes me wonder if there is something wrong with the amp itself, though I have had zero time to do any troubleshooting. The new speakers are a brand new set of Infitiny Primus component speakers. I know I wasn't over-driving them since I never listen to my stereo so loud that I could possibly break speakers like that.

jphh20

Ironically, I just went through this exact same issue. Both front speaker barely had sound including the tweeters. I am still running my factory speakers w/ monsoon with an aftermarket pioneer nav unit. I popped in my oem radio and everything is working fine. I think my nav unit failed because the oem unit fires all the speakers as it should. I’m in the hunt for a new head unit now.

Hope this helps give you some things to think about.

Jeepwalker

As I recall, (going from memory here) there are some grounds on the main wire harness back there. Look in the taillight area and under the frame first. And there are a couple near the amp. Check them to make sure they're clean. I've had some floor grounds which were really corroded (due to a leaking sun roof or rear door). The plastic trim around the rear left side unclips pretty easy with some pulling and wiggling (undo the upper seat belt mount too). The metal clips don't break, or haven't for me. I've had my H3's interior panels on and off many times... lol. Easy to do after you figure it out. Maybe you've already had your rear plastic off already though....

Good luck

JPaul

As I recall, (going from memory here) there are some grounds on the main wire harness back there. Look in the taillight area and under the frame first. And there are a couple near the amp. Check them to make sure they're clean. I've had some floor grounds which were really corroded (due to a leaking sun roof or rear door). The plastic trim around the rear left side unclips pretty easy with some pulling and wiggling (undo the upper seat belt mount too). The metal clips don't break, or haven't for me. I've had my H3's interior panels on and off many times... lol. Easy to do after you figure it out. Maybe you've already had your rear plastic off already though....

Good luck
You should see my build thread. I had the entire interior torn out at one point, save the dash. Course now I need to take out the dash too to work on my AC (though that won't be until next spring now!).

I'll check connections and such at some point.

JPaul

Ironically, I just went through this exact same issue. Both front speaker barely had sound including the tweeters. I am still running my factory speakers w/ monsoon with an aftermarket pioneer nav unit. I popped in my oem radio and everything is working fine. I think my nav unit failed because the oem unit fires all the speakers as it should. I’m in the hunt for a new head unit now.

Hope this helps give you some things to think about.
Man, I am going to be really annoyed if it's the head unit, especially since that is fairly new as well. And I don't have my old one anymore since it was having issues with eating CD's.

Jeepwalker

You should see my build thread. I had the entire interior torn out at one point, save the dash. Course now I need to take out the dash too to work on my AC (though that won't be until next spring now!).

Bummer on the AC issues. Ok, I guess you know how the interior comes apart.
The only other things I can think of, is might not hurt to pull back the rubber accordion boot and inspect the wires at the driver's door jamb (in case any are frayed). And of course any bad connections at the head unit. It would be nice if you got lucky and that's all it turned out to be. (never know??).