• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H1 Breaking Tie Rod (almost)

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sometimes they do crazy things and don't break, sometimes they break when there is no additional stress on them and you think WTF just happened. ( accumulated wear and stress ) I have seen two on H3s break on flat trails.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nothing that is supposed to flex that much but I have seen them do it many times without breaking and sometimes they do break.

Kurt

Yeah idler/pitman for sure. Problems get worse with larger than stock tires, and I've seen the Rock-Ram's make thing worse. Saw the same thing happen on Ron B's truck a few times and I'm sure it happened on mine.

Each trip to John Bull up in Big Bear with the H1, Iv'e always had to replace the pitman and idler arm every time.... steering gets sloppy and loosey goosey after a rock crawl.

That being said, the way to go is to get the Alpha/ECV Sheppard M83 steering gear and the larger pitman/idlers, they are huge compared to the old ones.

Humman

How the heck did that not break?

the owner of this truck is mechanic and he is working a lot with H1s, here is his explanation: "Fully stretched suspension puts the tie rod at an angle,slightly worn idler, and a mildly worn UBJ. These all added up to extra tire swing.Normally the truck would have just gone straight over that pebble."

Last edited: