• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Front End Rebuild....parts help.

Rodzlla

It has been a little while since I have been focused on my truck. It is a shame really. I noticed a tire going flat a couple days ago. I took it over to Firestone to have it looked at and asked them to check the alignment while they had it.

They called to let me know they patched the tire, but could not address the alignment. They said the right front steering and suspension components have excessive play. They said:

1-right inner and outer tie rod ends need replaced.
2-right front hub assembly needs replaced.
3-lower right ball joint needs replaced.

Their cost was $2,225. That number is too big. I will be doing this work myself.

I need a bit of help. Primarily, I seek your expertise.

Can someone provide the part numbers for the 16mm upgraded versions from Moog or GM? I am also open to upgraded custom ends, if reasonably priced.

I am looking at the Timkin or AC Delco hub assembly. It is hard to argue with the lifetime Timkin warranty, but this is not something I want to do again anytime soon. Thoughts?

I am likely going to replace the lower control arm with a GM part, if I can find one, but what about the Dorman or MAS arms? Is the extra coin spent on GM OEM unit worth it?

Last edited:

Happy Hummer

Lol!
That price is peachy...

I've actually got Timken & Moog hubs on Happy and they both behaved themselves thus far.
Moog @ Advanced Auto provided 3 yrs. return policy with was decent. Timken was from Amazon prime & only gave a 1 yr.
We went with Moog parts for the Miss' H3 and Moog UCA's.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Outfitter Design steering rack kit. Most likely the issue is the rack bushings, not the tie rods or hubs.
Bushings are a likely cause, but it's very reasonable to wear out the inner tie rod too and to a lesser extent the rack itself. I replaced an inner tie rod about a year ago. If you're getting in there I would definitely get a bushing kit, but please consider it could be the tie rods too.

I went with the Timken bearing in the front end from Rockauto.com, Timken SP550311, $158 shipped
Tie rods - GM doesn't still produce the 14mm so the chances of getting those are slim. They were silver, 16mm are black. Inner: [FONT=&quot]http://a.co/d/a4dTeQr Outer: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]http://a.co/d/8ssLr7K
[/FONT]
Ball joint - you can do this yourself with a loaner ball joint press from the parts store. [FONT=&quot]http://a.co/d/ijS9oan

It's worth reviewing your upper and lower control arms at this time. Check out the bushings to make sure that they haven't deteriorated or squeezed out, like they can do on the lower. UCAs are replaced as an assembly; on the LCA, you can replace the bushings and ball joint yourself.

BTW, I would not fully trust the Firestone report. Check these components yourself. Spin the wheel and listing for ugly noise. Get a second person, lift the front and and move the tire back and forth. Look to see if the entire rack moves (bushings) or if just the tie rod end moves in relation to the rack (tie rod).[/FONT]

MilamJR

Looks like you have a H3 but for a H2 this would probably be the way I would go.

KRYPTONITE ULTIMATE FRONT END PACKAGE

1999-2010 GM Trucks 1500HD/2500HD/3500 CHEVY/GMC 3/4 and 1 Ton Trucks

Tie Rod Bodies and Center Link now come Zinc plated under the Black powdercoat to decrease corrosion

Note: If installing KRYPTONITE series centerlink on a leveled or lifted truck you may need to install longer swaybar endlinks depending on how high the torsion bars have been adjusted. We recommend the Kryptonite HD swaybar endlinks. This kit will only work on trucks that keep the center link in the factory position. If your truck has been lifted make sure the lift kit you have is a spindle style kit not a control arm drop.This steering system is modeled after the Center Link on the H1 Military Hummer, this is a much stronger design when compared to whats offered from factory on all non Hummer GM HD Trucks.

CLICK HERE FOR CENTER LINK INSTALLATION INSTRUCTION DOWNLOAD

This Package Includes a Moog XD Pitman Arm. We are currently developing a New Kryptonite Death Grip Pitman Arm. This new arm should be available by the end of the year! Stay Tuned!

Kit Includes:

Kryptonite SS Center Link
Kryptonite Tie Rods
Kryptonite Idler Support
Kryptonite Extreme Idler Support Frame Gusset
Kryptonite Pitman Idler Supports
Moog XD-Problem solver Pitman Arm
Kryptonite Deathgrip Idler Arm
(Kryptonite Lifetime warranty) Kryptonite will replace any failed part(s) purchased from us for as long as you own the vehicle. For all claims members must present proof of purchase. For replacement please call or email for shipping instructions prior to warranty claim. New replacement parts will be shipped via UPS ground when failed unit is received, shipping will not be covered

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Traxx

After replacing both new Timken hubs within 7k miles I put in Delco ones. Dorman arms are crap, wore the ball joint out of one in 5k miles, didn't bother waiting for the other one to go so replaced both of them so I didn't have to do it twice. Not sure of your mileage but while you have it apart great time to replace the lower ball joints which is a pretty common wear item. Get the Moog premium ones so the zirk fitting is in the right spot, the regular ones have the fitting on the top and is impossible to get to unless you pull the cv shaft.