• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Bugout Bag Tools #3 - Metal Container

Paladine71

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
A third important tool that you should carry in your emergency pack is a sealable metal container. The primary reason for this is your need for water. Without water, your body will only last a few days, regardless of the temperature or weather conditions outside. It is possible to die from dehydration in a freezing environment. A container will allow you to carry water with you, and the metal composition will allow you to boil your water (disinfecting it) right on a fire that you create. If given the opportunity, you should always boil or purify your water before using it. In extreme situations, drinking water without boiling or purifying it is wise, since any possible sickness will likely take longer to kill you than dehydration. An exception here is salt water, which will bring you a quick and painful death because of the salt in it. We'll talk more about purifying, filtering and boiling water in another thread.

Your best bets here are stainless steel water bottles, or titanium if you can find them (less weight than steel). They are durable, compact, food-grade metals that don't retain flavors. I use a 40 ounce Klean Kanteen for my bugout bag. I nest it in a drinking cup that I'll show you later when we do a thread on camp cooking. A 40 oz container is about the right size. It's a good balance since it holds a lot of water but is not bulky or heavy when full. The loop on the lid also provides you with a suspension option for heating water over a fire if you don't want to put the bottle directly on the hot coals.

KleanKanteen.jpg

abearden

That's an interesting point you bring up. I've got a bladder, a nalgen bottle, and a cooking pot in my bag but this makes me want to swap the nalgen for a metal bottle.

Griff22usmc

Needs a sponsor
When not toting around canteens and such, I usually carry a large mouth nalgene with a GSI stainless steel couple that fits snug on the bottom. Clear nalgene to see what's inside.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Paladine71

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
That's an interesting point you bring up. I've got a bladder, a nalgen bottle, and a cooking pot in my bag but this makes me want to swap the nalgen for a metal bottle.

I also carry a small pot and frying pan (doubles as a lid for the pot). With the metal bottle, I can cook and boil water at the same time if I want to. Since we are discussing metal containers, I'll go ahead and post my gear here.

This is the GSI Glacier Cup that my Kanteen nests in.

P1010366.jpg

I use this fishing spring (can't remember the name, used to hold fish mouths open) to suspend my cup over a fire. I had to drill two holes in the cup.

P1010368.jpg

P1010367.jpg

Here is the pot and frying pan combo. It is a Snow Peak Trek 900 titanium combo, along with a titanium spork. All of this is very lightweight.

P1010372.jpg

P1010373.jpg

For small heating tasks, a cup of coffee or something similar, I carry a small make-shift pack stove with a can of chaffing fuel; up to six hours of odorless fuel and can be sealed and reused until it is gone.

P1010369.jpg

P1010370.jpg

The small stove packs with the bottle and cup.

P1010371.jpg

SWANK3T

Dude I have like 10 of those titanium sporks. I got some in each hummer my kits at work and my deployment bags they rock!

MuDnYrI

No need to boil water when you have the CamelBak® All Clear™ Microbiological UV Water Purifier
I just got this yesterday:

http://www.cabelas.com/water-purifi...B-001B21631C34&mr:referralID=NA&mr:adType=pla

pixel.gifpixel.gif
Uses UV light to inactivate viruses, bacteria and
cysts
Will not affect the taste of your water
Delivers 80 60-second purification cycles on a
full charge
Enjoy clean, clear water
in remote areas without the hassle of filter cleaning or unpleasant aftertaste
left by chemical water purification. It also takes less energy to purify water
along the way compared to carrying it with you. This system uses a UV-C
discharge lamp in the bottle cap to render any bacteria, viruses or cysts in the
water bottle inactive. The lamp is powered by an internal rechargeable battery
and will treat a full CamelBak .75-liter bottle in 60 seconds. An LCD in the cap
shows battery status and the amount of time needed to treat the .75-liter
bottle’s contents. The built-in rechargeable lithium-ion batteries in the cap
treat up to 80 purification cycles (16 gallons) with each charge. The impact and
weather-resistant cap insulates the UV bulb for effective purification every
time. Bulb and batteries are engineered to last 10,000 cycles; equivalent to
treating three bottles a day everyday for nine years. Most effective on clear
water. Does not eliminate chemical contamination or debris. Add the Pre-Filter
to strain out larger sediment particles prior to purification. The Pre-Filter’s
frame mounts securely over the bottle threads to help protect them when dunking
in untreated water. Covered by Camelbak’s Got Your Bak™ lifetime
guarantee.
Kit includes: All Clear cap, All Clear
.75-liter CamelBak bottle, neoprene carry case for cap, USB charging cord, and
Classic cap for drinking use after purification.

Paladine71

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
How do you charge it in the wilds? Are you going to use a solar panel of some sort? I have a Steripen, but always have at least 2 to 3 methods for each task, if possible.

Paladine71

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
That would be a great setup for camping if the weather cooperates. :thumbs:

You'll find a common thing among my preps, I prefer them to be as durable as possible. I have multiple tools for every function that I think I'll need and at least one of them is "bullet proof," in that it will work even in the harshest conditions. I always try to plan for the deepest snow, coldest sleet and hottest sun with no shade. Just like the Fire Steel from the other thread, I have a lighter as my preferred method, but the Fire Steel will work in even the wettest, darkest conditions. The same principle drives my thought here. I have the Steripen and a few other ways to purify and carry water, but steel and titanium will work regardless of how bad things get.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Redundancy is the rule for a reason. Don't know how many times I have had to go to plan B or C when out camping or hunting. It will be even more likely after an event.

Flash

Redundancy is the rule for a reason. Don't know how many times I have had to go to plan B or C when out camping or hunting. It will be even more likely after an event.

Agreed. I prefer the term "versatile utility" - meaning - one thing can perform many diffrent functions. Like the one blade on my swiss army knife that is a can opener and a small standard head screwdriver that is small enough to serve on phillips heads as well. Or my Gortex rain suit for the golf course that also stops 65mph rain (motorcycle at 65mph :)), or works while fishing, or can be worn as pants and jacket when a bit chilly around camp mated with the long johns that can be worn with shorts as leggings or paired with fleece for even cooler temperatures. Shorts + long johns + fleece + Gortex rainsuit = cloathing for a wide range of climate scenarios.

It is the versatile utility of paladine's canteen/stove/cup/pan/etc that makes it so noteable.

Last edited: