• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

2024 Black Sheep Week recap, Sand Hollow

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
We had another great group in Hurricane, UT this week. We welcomed some new members to the Black Sheep, including 4lotank, Datapimp, wife of Datapimp, Geno and his wife. They were themselves an SAS invasion with their H2, H3 and two H3Ts. JakesZ28 also brought his buddy in a new 2 door Bronco. It was Mark's first time wheeling and he aced it! Great driving and a great guy to hang out with. It ended up being a right-sized group - not too big and not too small. Reaper even rejoined us.

Day 1 - West Rim Trail
Day 2 - Sliplock Gulch
Day 3 - Tocquerville Falls and Rattlesnake Gulch
Day 4 - Wayne's World

I'll have more video than pics, but here are some to get us going.

West Rim Trail is a longer trail with a variety of obstacles ranging from mild to quite difficult. Everything has a bypass and most obstacles have different options, providing different levels of difficulty. This was chosen as our break-in (or break-down) trail on Sunday to allow everyone to learn the area and shake down the rigs. It was a bit slow as we did have some mechanical issues along the way, but it was still a great day. That time we put in fixing rigs on Sunday allowed us to have a smoother week afterwards.

West Rim Trail video
MEDIA=youtube]2_aNFfS9um4[/MEDIA]

Tuesday was Sliplock Gulch, a surprisingly fun trail. It was rated a 6 (6 is about right for a stock H3. 7 would be for a built H3, 8 is a built rig, 9 is buggy territory.) It's not a long trail but the obstacles are close together. Like many trails in Sand Hollow route finding was difficult as trails are virtually right next to each other and paths cross all over the area. I found the best way to navigate wasn't from the driver's seat but on food instead.

Our fearless leader, Layla, scouted and kept the trails clear.
IMG_3683-X2.jpg

Rascole approaching the first obstacle
Sliplock%20Gulck%20040124-2-X2.jpg

Near the end, Xlplr7 (Greg) chose an interesting line. The only reason he didn't turtle was that earlier Rascole threw a rock down there that was on the upper ledge, and that same rock ended up being where Greg's tire landed when he backed up and fell off the ledge. He was REALLY tippy here and it took three bumper monkeys to level him out, and a winch to pull him up.
Sliplock%20Gulck%20040124-4-X2.jpg

Sliplock%20Gulck%20040124-1-X2.jpg

Rattlesnake Gulch is a favorite of mine. We start off at the Falls and then the trail gets interesting, t by the with about 20 stream crossings. The difficulty of the trail is determined a lot by the water level. Last year it was a 7 rated trail; this year was a 6. But the last obstacle is a 7+ and it claimed one victim with Reloader's rear axle. It snapped faster than Biden throwing a temper tantrum. A few pics now, I'll have a video later.

At the Falls
IMG_3693-X2.jpg

4lo-tank posing
IMG_3697-X2.jpg

Wife and Husband (Datapimps) chilling out while Reloader's truck gets repaired to get off the trail.
IMG_3700-X2.jpg

JPaul

Looks fun! Sorry I missed this year, but I'm hoping to get the Alpha refurbished this year so that I can make the next trip.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Life has been too damn busy. My spare time has been spent racing my C8 Z06 and I don't have enough time for that. I feel retirement looming in the near future and I can't wait to fill my spare time with offroad and hunting trips again. Looks like a great time. The H1 and Scorpion are definitely feeling neglected.

LagunaH1

Looks like a great time! With a little luck, I'll be able to make next year's event. Who knows what kind of vehicle I'll be in, but I want to go. Been too long.

reaper

Trail damage... missing the bolt on the sway bar? How the frick did that come off???? Replaced it in Moab for the drive home. I guess that's nothing to complain about for a hard week wheelin!!!

Attachments

• 20240406_143405.jpg
    20240406_143405.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 16

rascole

Hopefully all the good pics and vids will encourage more H3's to swing by next year. I was fortunate to make it home with nothing more than few more dents and dings, testament to our marathon running spotter Alex.

rascole

Yes, you can see the amount of sand that gets tracked up the rock. Sandstone there is also softer than Moab and that reduces traction. You can see here and in many other obstacles the tires have dug out channels, indication lots of wheel spin. (rain that week didn't help either)

reaper

Well nothing technically REQUIRES lockers but you prob won't be successful without em. That's probably true for most of Sand Hollow!!! Yeah lots of slipping on sand on slickrock. It's like if you dumped a boatload of slippery sand on Moab.