• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

09 vicm questions

Ajaxzem

I got a vicm from an 09 yukon with bluebooth. My onstar has never worked and won't connect anywau so i thought i would try adding bluetooth with the 09 module. I have seen a few posts here and other places like the silverado forums saying the newer onstar modules with bluetooth are plug and play. It adds BT capability but onastar usually doesnt work, spmetimes it does. So i got one from a salvage yard along with the bluetooth antenna. The one i took out has a label on it that says it was made by LG, has two white plug-ins, one screw on coax and one snap on antenna wire with blue connector. The new one has same white connectors, and a bluetooth antenna connector, one that the blue antenna connector will connect to and another snap-on type connector. So im left with a screw-on coax with no way to connect. Not a big deal though as iv'e read that you just connect the two white plug-ins and you got BT. So i did that and the radio immediately said "XM error" and then went blank. Check engine light is the only light on dash and I can't start the hummer. I cant even get the key out of the ignition. No power anywhere. No radio, no ignition, nothing.
If i unplug either connector i get everything back. One connector at a time has no effect, but one white connector and the Blue antenna connector does the same thing. Gauges all drop to bottom, lights all shut off, and ignition is disabled. so this vicm kills my car. No vicm if fine, and the old one is fine but wont connect to onstar. Anyone else had this issue? Everything i have read says its plug and play BT and I can't fine any reason why this would disable the vehicle completely.

Ajaxzem

The new one from the salvage yard is part number 20783877, it has the Bluetooth symbol on it. manufacturer is Continental. It's what I've read is supposed to work. Might it be that i need the nav radio? I have the 6 disc xm radio with monsoon system but no nav. Or do i need a module from a 09-10 H3? maybe the same part number but different programming?

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
What's the VICM? And it seems a bit odd that a computer from a Yukon would work in an H3. I could maybe see Yukon to H2. Should the same place you write about this working also be able to provide you troubleshooting?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Traxx

It's a common enough swap on full size GM trucks but that 'upgrade' won't work for the gmt355 platform. I have reprogrammed and disabled the vicm for a few people who grabbed one from a pick-n-pull or wanted theirs turned off, ya know for the black choppers n stuff. :whaa:

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
What's the VICM? And it seems a bit odd that a computer from a Yukon would work in an H3. I could maybe see Yukon to H2. Should the same place you write about this working also be able to provide you troubleshooting?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Vehicle Communications Interface Module (f memory serves the old guy).

Can it be swapped between platforms? Hell, not sure. But will it work with the H3 BCM, which is very unique among all GM platforms; not sure. But for bluetooth, I would look at an off the shelf non-OEM module. Many work great. I added bluetooth in my old H3 via the Pioneer head unit.

(Your new Silverado has a HMI control module....Human Machine Interface Control Module to be exact.:gaah::giggle: )

Last edited:

atvspeed4

This is from a Cadillac forum for some reason it won't let me just link to post so I'll copy and paste:. "Hello, I just came across this thread after completing the exact same upgrade with my 08 CTS as Gramzster. I work in the GM vehicle engineering center so I had some very good help to guide me through and maybe I can pass on some info that may help you guys.

First of all, I take no responsibility for anything outlined here. If these procedures screw up your Onstar or your CTS, don't blame me I'm only trying to help out here.

The Onstar module swap that was described in Gramzster's first post is spot on, but I wanted to also add some information about it. First of all if you complete the steps below, it does not matter which donor vehicle the module comes from, it also does not matter which options the donor vehicle had (mine was from an 09 Saturn VUE). The original Onstar module in my CTS was a gen 7 module with no bluetooth, after some research I found just like Gramzster that the 25990227 module was also used in 08s and was a Gen 8 module with bluetooth. I also found with some research and help from people here, that there was a service bulletin that called out a replacement for that module citing issues it may have communicating with the NAV system. The replacement for 25990227 is 20787642 and that module is an Onstar gen 8.1 module. This is the module I purchased from Nordstrom's on eBay and used for my upgrade (I think I paid $65).

After installing the module of your choice using Gramzster's excellent tutorial there are two additional steps to get the unit working as if it was stock.

First, take the car to a dealer and have them perform an "Onstar setup procedure" with the new module installed. This will associate the new module with your vehicle VIN and will calibrate the module to see all the specific options your vehicle has. Without doing this, you will experience all kinds of problems getting Onstar to work properly (including how Onstar communicates with the NAV system and displays things in your instrument cluster). This setup takes the dealer about 10 minutes max and I have no idea how much they will charge you for it (Mine did it no charge but YMMV).

Second, make the call to Onstar and tell them what you did. You need to ask them to associate your new module to your VIN because they will still see you calling as if you were in the donor vehicle (they thought I was calling from the VUE!). This took me about a half hour but may take you less time. When they are all done they will ask you to call back using the Onstar button and they will verify that they see you calling from your CTS.

That's it, my Onstar gen 8.1 works just like it was there from the factory and now has bluetooth!

In summary:

- Just look for the correct part number for your Onstar module: 25990227=gen 8, 20787642=gen 8.1 (vehicle and options don't matter)

- Take the car to the deal after installation and have them do an "Onstar setup procedure"

- Call Onstar and have them associate the module to your VIN

(You need to do both steps or it will not work properly)

Good luck!"

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...4&share_tid=187314&share_fid=204&share_type=t

Ajaxzem

What i did was call my chevy dealer and had them look up the part number for an 09-10 H3 onstar module with bluetooth. Then i called salvage yards until i found one with the same part number. I found a bunch of tutorials, and a few guys on other forums who did the swap for older h3's and it worked fine. most didn't even have to get anything programmed unless they wanted to retain onstar. So i got the module and antenna piece for 50 bucks. So i figured to add BT for that was a good deal, thats all im trying to do anyway. Just want to keep the factory stuff. But i havnt seen anything anywhere about onstar module killing a car when installed.

Traxx

I believe the part number for the 09-10 vicm is 25965167 should be an LG unit, at least that is what is in mine, and would probably work for earlier H3's with programming if you want to keep onstar. I don't know for sure because I have never tried since most people put an aftermarket headunit in that has far better bluetooth capability. The H3 bcm is extremely unlikely to play well with a silverado vicm which is why everything goes haywire when you plug it in.

Ajaxzem

Yes you are correct. After some more research that part number should be the one I need. Anyone have a 09-10 OnStar module they want to sell?

Ajaxzem

Sorry its a vcim not a vicm. Anyway, i got the correct one from a salvage yard in TX. took about a week to get here ups. Put it in and nothing happened. I opened it up and it was full of rust, looked like major water damage. resistors and stuff rattling around inside. So back to the drawing board, have to find another one i guess