• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H3 Rear Storage Box / Sleeping Platform

Graham2990

Hey all,

Thought I'd throw up some photos of my rear storage shelf / sleeping platform I spent my weekend working on. Got the ideas from a storage box I'd seen for a JK and a picture or two I saw on here of those who have made a similar setup.

The box ends up being 8" tall, 40" wide, and 28" deep. It's notched on the passenger and drivers side bottom to clear the lip that sticks off the cargo area trim.

Ends up standing just shy of the power outlet in the rear area.

I also made a hidden compartment / cubby hole on the drivers side as the drawer couldn't use the full 40" due to not clearing the rear door. Works great for ball hitch/connector/recovery strap storage.

The box also has an additional top that slides forward when the seats are in the folded position, and is supported by the rear of the drawer system. This allows for a roughly 5' x 40" flat, level cargo surface.

The box is fastened to the truck by the use of some 3" M10 x 1.5 bolts that mount to the original cargo hook location. I've got some bolts so I can transfer the cargo hooks to the top of the box.

Still got to come up with an idea I like for drawer pulls / cutouts for hand access to get the drawer open. Also need to find an idea for some kind of pin to secure the sliding portion to the rear drawer lip for the extended platform.

Here's a final install shot when it was getting dark.

I'm thinking I'll undercoat the box black and then maybe add some roll on bed liner to the top for additional protection. Need to track down a 40" x 60" sleeping pad of some kind also.

This was my first real hands on project with the H3 and I'm very pleased with how it turned out. My father's a homebuilder by trade so fortunately he had all the tools and knowledge that goes with them and was willing to assist.

Plus you can't beat garage time with the old man!

Your project came out amazing brother. If you go on Trunkvault.com, they design high end storage boxes for Police, Fire, Swat, Undercover vehicles and even some construction. So maybe their designs can give you some ideas. I know they even have combination lock attachment for the drawers, so no one can access it, even if they get in the vehicle, which is great for weapon storage.

Btw, I also suggest you run maybe 1 or 2 12volt connections/cigarette lights onto the box, that way you can mount electrical equipment on it for use or charging, such as a flash light, extra cell phone charger, etc, maybe even a small power inverter for laptop use/charging

Graham2990

Btw, I also suggest you run maybe 1 or 2 12volt connections/cigarette lights onto the box, that way you can mount electrical equipment on it for use or charging, such as a flash light, extra cell phone charger, etc, maybe even a small power inverter for laptop use/charging

Well I don't currently own a jump/booster pack of any kind, which leads me to want to pick up something to do both roles or jumpstart/portable power.

Been looking at some reviews on Anti Gravity batteries booster packs. Anybody have any experience?

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
Well I don't currently own a jump/booster pack of any kind, which leads me to want to pick up something to do both roles or jumpstart/portable power.

Been looking at some reviews on Anti Gravity batteries booster packs. Anybody have any experience?

Not with the Anti Gravity but I have an Ark Pal with a 125 AH group 31 AGM battery and it works great. I top off the battery with a Renogy 100w portable/folding solar panels or plug it in to the vehicle's 12v plug-in while driving.
http://www.arkportablepower.com/pages/about-the-arkpak