• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

New member from Michigan

colo4x4rado

I have been lurking the forums for the last few months while I have been working on the truck. I picked up a 2009 H3T Alpha with the Adventure package down in Texas. I have always wanted one of these when they first came out and finally was given the go ahead from the wife. I found the truck online and flew down to Texas after work on a Friday. Went and looked at the truck Saturday and noticed some issues. I was talking myself out of the deal and was ready to get back on a plan and come home. After multiple phone calls with my brother (he has a H3 and believe his name is MTUH3) he convienced me that the issues I found did not present any red flags in his eyes. Small issues were the rear window switches ripped off, front bumper damaged, radio antenna snapped off, gas struts for the hood were blown and the snug top tonneau did not have a key to unlock it. The biggest issue was that I found an oil leak above the oil filter area. I asked the used car dealership to have it taken in and tell me where it was leaking from. I figured if it is a slow enough leak I will get it back to Michigan and fix it myself. The dealership did one better, took it in, told me it was the pan gasket and they were going to replace it. Well 4 hours later and I was on the road back to Michigan with no oil leak present.

As I bought it.
IMG_20150912_180737096.jpg

I still have my Colorado on 35's so I made a promise to myself that I wouldn't drive the H3T until I did all the fixes that it needed. First on the list was to order the new antenna base and get that installed (it was a long 19 hour drive with no radio other than my phone). Gas struts ordered and installed. Forum member RAZRBACK?? was selling a Thor bumper so I picked that up off of him. Ordered new rear window switches and installed. Since the H3t has 90k miles I ordered all new Amsoil fluids for the engine, front/rear diffs, and transfer case.
IMG_20150914_182019091.jpg

I removed the stock bumper to install the Thor one and found out that the frame was damaged at the crumple zone. I spent some time getting quotes from shops to have it straightened and they averaged from $500 to $900. I made the decision to handle the problem on my own by making new front tow hook plates out of C channel. I heard this was a weak point anyways and saw some members doing this already. I made one for the driver side, but decided not to install it until later one, I wanted to start driving this thing!!
IMG_20150928_153456671.jpg
IMG_20150930_181845304.jpg
IMG_20151017_110316808.jpg
IMG_20151017_111801188.jpg
IMG_20151017_135039929_HDR.jpg
IMG_20151017_130332070.jpg
IMG_20151017_153755967.jpg

While the H3T sat parked for 2 weeks in my driveway I started to notice it leaking oil again. I was able to rule out the rear main seal by popping the inspection cover on the bell housing, completely dry. Some research led me to the oil cooler block off plate gasket. Ordered it up, drained fluid, install gasket, fill fluid, start truck and still leaking oil. Having my brother look at the pan above the filter while I turned the truck on and off we determined it was the pan gasket. But how could this be since the dealership said they replaced it?!?!? Went to a Chevy dealership and decided to buy a whole new pan and gasket because maybe they over torqued the bolts and bent the pan. To my surprise the OEM gasket is held to the OEM pan with two rivets. One rivet being above the oil filter location and the other being on the passenger front.

So the next came to swapping out the oil pan. I got the old pan out and was expecting to see a new gasket or at least a bunch of RTV from the Dealership "fix". Nope, just the OEM gasket with a busted rivet above the oil filter. Obviously the dealership did not install a new gasket like they said and didn't even attempt to fix it. My guess is they tightened up the bolts and wiped the area clean. I installed the new pan, filled her up and no leaks for the past month or so.

No that I have fixed all the main issues I decided it was time to swap the 35's from the Colorado onto the H3T and put the H3T tires onto the Colorado. Did some painting of the front grill and brush guard and had the snug top key cylinder drilled out so I could at least use the bed. Found a pair of sandels and a chair back there.
IMG_20151111_153007782_HDR.jpg
IMG_20151111_144208693_HDR.jpg
IMG_20151111_144156890_HDR.jpg
IMG_20151113_162232985_HDR.jpg
IMG_20151113_162239464.jpg

Two weeks ago I was driving home from the cabin and had the driver window explode on me. I had the window down for a little bit and when I rolled the window up it got to the top channel and exploded. Not sure what happened or why, but driving 3 hours home with now window at 8pm was not enjoyable. The good side is it was in the 50's outside. Bought a window from the junkyard and ripped apart the door panel. When I took off the door panel more than $3 in change fell out. Figuring that maybe one of those coins screwed up the regulator I went back to the junkyard and got a new one. So far I have used the window 5 times all while in my driveway and affraid to use it away from home. Had to cut the work bench in order to fit it in the garage.
IMG_20151119_181120008.jpg
IMG_20151119_161518310.jpg
IMG_20151119_161625487.jpg

Looking forward to meeting you guys in person especially on the Drummond Island trips.

Bob

colo4x4rado

Looks as if I need some practice on uploading pictures. Sorry that they are small. I am using Google+ Picasa, and just did a copy paste. Any recommendations on how to get better sized ones?

RazorbackH3

Wooo Pig Sooie
Hey man, glad you made it and the bumper looks good! H3T looks good as well. Was a pleasure to swap wheeling stories with ya when you bought the bumper also. :cheers: