• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Strange noise......HELP

Ed's06h3

I have this strange (rattling metal) type of noise coming from the right (driver side of engine)... If anybody knows can you please give me any advice (i really dont want to take it to the dealer so they charge me an arm & a leg)..it starts when it's cold out but once engine warms up the noise goes away.

click on image to view video

Last edited:

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Tensioner or idler pulley would be leading candidates. Cheap and easy fixes and even if those end up note being the issue they are items that should be replaced at some point anyway.

Does it change with a/c on or off?

It could be tied to water pump, power steering or a/c but those ones often show other symptoms as well.

Ed's06h3

Thanks Alrock...It still remains even after I turn the a/c... The only times it goes away is when the engine warms up & when I accelerate. I will change the tensioner & idler pulley hopefully that solves the issue. I already changed the water pump (last year) and air compressor (last week)

Zach

Mall Crawler
An exhaust leak is more of a ticking noise and goes away when the engine is warm. Have dealt with it for quite awhile. With 180k, I'm not pulling the head to get to the rear broken bolt

B2H2

I had a similar issue with my 04 h2. There is a little black box under driver side and rear passenger door. Has something to do with filtering fuel emmissions. Repair shop said it was loose and they were able to get it tightened up for me. Its not not sure, but might be something to look into.

awalsh

Mine does that same ringing too.. and also scratches at 1800rpms. Not sure if its because of that metal sheet in the video or something else. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTqVblMzfw8 Have this problem on mine, the whole sheet of metal surrounding that bolt is rusted through.

Check that.. might same you a lot of time searching :thumbs:

santafeh3

I have basically the same problem - started a couple of weeks ago - a ticking that starts as soon as started and doesn't go away. I think maybe a tensioner also. Don't believe in motor - nor power steering pump. Fan has no movement neither does any of the components attached - AC compressor etc. sounds like maybe a bearing in one of the pulleys?? Replace exhaust manifold a couple of months ago with a header. Re-torqued all the bolts - they were tight. Didn't sound like an exhaust leak anyway. How hard to change out tensioner?

Thanks for any advice.